As a fan of tuna sandwiches, I’m always looking for delicious new toppings to add to my sandwiches.
Today I’m sharing 13 surprisingly delicious tuna sandwich toppings that I’m sure you’ll love!
From classic condiments to unique ingredients, these are the perfect additions to your next tuna sandwich.
Read Also: Tuna Wine Pairing – The Best Wines for Tuna Meals
1. Pickled Onions
Pickled onions are a great addition to sandwiches, adding an extra bit of flavor and texture.
The acidic flavor helps to balance out the richness of the sandwich and adds a nice crunchy element.
To make pickled onions, you’ll need red onion (or any kind of onion!), white vinegar, sugar, and salt.
- Start by thinly slicing the onion into rings or half moons.
- Then combine the vinegar, sugar, and salt in a bowl until dissolved before adding in your onions.
- Let them sit for at least 15 minutes (but up to overnight!) before using them on your sandwich – they will be nice and zingy!
Pro Tip: If you want to add more sweetness or spice to this recipe, try adding honey or chili flakes!
2. Mango Chutney
Mango chutney reminds me of a sweet and sour condiment, which makes it the perfect addition to sandwiches.
It has this amazing balance of sweetness and tanginess that really elevates the flavors in a sandwich.
I like to prepare it by simmering mango chunks with ginger, garlic, jalapeño peppers, and seasonings like cumin and coriander until it’s thickened.
Then once cool, I spread the chutney on my sandwich.
Pro Tip: If you want to keep your chutney nice and spicy, add more jalapeños or even some cayenne pepper during cooking!
3. Avocado Slices
When it comes to tuna sandwiches, avocado is always a winning choice.
The creaminess of the avocado pairs perfectly with the fishiness of the tuna.
All you need to do is slice up an avocado and add it to your sandwich.
Of course, if you want to get fancy, you can mash up some avocados and use that as a spread for your sandwich instead!
Pro Tip: Sprinkle some salt on top of your slices or mashed avocado for extra flavor.
4. Green Apples
How about adding some green apples to your tuna sandwich?
Granny Smith apples are a great choice for this dish because they provide just the right amount of sweetness and tartness.
To prepare, slice the apples thinly so that they lay flat on the bread, then add them to your sandwich with some mayo and tuna.
The combination of creamy mayo, crunchy apple slices and savoury tuna makes for an amazing flavour experience!
Pro Tip: Try sprinkling a bit of lemon juice or drizzling with olive oil before you add it to the sandwich – it’ll bring out even more flavor!
5. Sun-Dried Tomatoes
It’s tough to say no to a classic tuna sandwich, but if you want to take it up a notch, try adding some sun-dried tomatoes!
Sun-dried tomatoes are packed with flavor and have an amazing texture that is sure to compliment your tuna.
- To prepare them, simply soak them in hot water for 10 minutes then drain them and chop into small pieces.
- Add these chopped sun-dried tomatoes to your next tuna sandwich for an extra kick of flavor and texture!
Pro Tip: You can also add sun-dried tomatoes to salads or pasta dishes for a delicious addition.
6. Crumbled Bacon
Who doesn’t like bacon? And it’s especially delicious on tuna sandwiches.
To give your sandwich an even bigger flavor boost, try crumbled bacon instead of strips.
- First, cook the bacon in a skillet over medium heat until crispy, then remove from the pan and let cool.
- Once cooled, use your fingers to crumble the bacon into small pieces (or use a fork).
- Add these pieces to your tuna sandwich for a tasty crunchy texture.
Pro Tip: For extra flavor, add some freshly cracked black pepper along with the crumbled bacon!
7. Hard-Boiled Eggs
Hard-boiled eggs are surprisingly delicious and a great healthy topping for your tuna sandwich.
- Start by boiling the eggs for 8-10 minutes, then place them in an ice bath to stop the cooking process.
- Once cooled, peel and chop them into small pieces. You can also mash them with a fork if you want a creamy consistency.
- Add the chopped-up eggs to your tuna sandwich and enjoy!
Pro Tip: For extra flavor, season your boiled eggs with salt and pepper before adding them to your sandwich.
8. Crispy Fried Shallots
I love anything crispy, and fried shallots are a great way to add that element to your sandwich.
- To prepare them, the first step is slicing up some shallots into thin rings.
- Then, heat a pan of oil on medium-high heat and add the shallot rings in batches.
- Fry until golden brown and then remove from pan with a slotted spoon onto paper towels (to soak up any extra oil).
These little crispy bites of goodness can be added to anything — burgers, salads, sandwiches, or just as a snack!
Pro Tip: Make sure you’re keeping an eye on the oil while frying – it should never go beyond 350F/175C or else they will burn too quickly.
Supercharge your sandwiches with capers!
Capers are a great way to add a punch of flavor, and they go well on almost any sandwich.
To prepare the capers, simply rinse them in cold water and pat dry before adding them to your sandwich.
They have an intense flavor, so you won’t need much – just a few teaspoons should do the trick.
I like adding some chopped onion or spring onions to enhance their flavor even more.
Pro Tip: If you’re making a tuna salad or egg salad sandwich, try adding a teaspoon of caper juice for extra zing.
10. Roasted Red Peppers
Simple to make, roasted red peppers are a great addition to any sandwich.
- Start by cutting the peppers into long slices, around ¼ inch thick.
- Place them on a baking sheet and roast in the oven for about 25 minutes at 375°F, flipping once halfway through. If you want some added flavor, drizzle olive oil over them before roasting and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Once they’re roasty and tender, layer onto your sandwich and enjoy!
Pro Tip: Roasted red peppers pair great with cheese – try adding some feta or mozzarella to really take it up a notch!
11. Chopped Olives
Grab a jar of your favorite olives and chop them up for a flavorful and vibrant topping for sandwiches.
This is especially great on veggie-packed sandwiches like falafel or avocado toast!
The briny flavor adds a nice zing to the sandwich, while the texture of the chopped olives provides an interesting contrast.
And, if you’re feeling adventurous, make sure to add some fresh herbs like parsley or cilantro too.
Pro Tip: To really bring out the flavors of your olives, try marinating them in some olive oil, garlic powder, oregano, and red pepper flakes first before chopping them up.
Sprouts will take your tuna sandwich to the next level.
- To prepare them, wash the sprouts and then lightly steam them for about four minutes.
- This will make them tender and full of flavor. Then add some lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper to give it a nice kick of flavor.
The combination of the crunchy texture from the sprouts with the creamy tuna is amazing!
Pro Tip: If you’re looking for something different, try adding avocado or hummus to your sandwich as well.
13. Dried Cranberries
How about something unique and sweet?
Dried cranberries are just the thing!
They add a nice burst of tartness and sweetness to your sandwich.
If you want to take it up a notch, try soaking them in a bit of water or orange juice for about 10 minutes, then draining off the excess liquid before adding them onto your sandwich.
This will give them an added flavor boost and plump up their texture.
Pro Tip: To really make this topping stand out, try pairing it with something salty like blue cheese crumbles or bacon bits!
15 Toppings For Tuna Casserole That’ll Make Your Mouth Water
15 Best Toppings for Green Bean Casserole You Must Try
15 Unique Toppings for Sweet Potato Pie You Must Try
15 Delicious Toppings for Chicken Pot Pie You Must Try
21 Must-Try Toppings for Apple Pie: Elevate Your Baking Game
13 Tuna Sandwich Toppings You Must Try
- Pickled Onions
- Mango Chutney
- Avocado Slices
- Green Apples
- Sun-Dried Tomatoes
- Crumbled Bacon
- Hard-Boiled Eggs
- Crispy Fried Shallots
- Roasted Red Peppers
- Chopped Olives
- Dried Cranberries
- Choose your favorite toppings from this article to put on your sandwich.
- Prepare the toppings however you like.
- Enjoy your sandwich in no time!
Hi, I'm Benjamin. I love cooking, long walks, and my girlfriend! Here you’ll find simple and delicious recipes that you can make in 30 minutes or less.