As a lover of savory sandwiches, I’m always looking for delicious topping combinations to add a unique flavor to my sandwiches.
Brisket sandwiches are a particular favorite of mine, and I’ve been experimenting with a range of topping combinations to make the perfect sandwich.
From tangy pickles to creamy avocado, there are so many amazing toppings that you must try!
In this article, I’m going to be sharing 15 of my favorite brisket sandwich toppings that will take your sandwich to the next level.
So if you’re looking for the perfect combination of flavors to make your brisket sandwich extra special, look no further!
15 Best Brisket Sandwich Toppings
Sure, you can enjoy a classic brisket sandwich, but why not take it up a notch with these 15 sandwich toppings?
From tangy pickled vegetables to creamy coleslaw, you can create the perfect sandwich to tantalize your taste buds.
Pickled onions are a great way to add some zing to your sandwich.
All you need to do is thinly slice a red onion, then add it to a jar with equal parts white vinegar and water, plus some sugar and salt.
Put the lid on, give it all a good shake, and let it sit for at least 1 hour before adding it to your sandwich.
The pickling liquid can also be used as an amazing vinaigrette – just mix in some olive oil and dijon mustard!
Pro Tip: To make this topping even more flavorful, try experimenting with different types of vinegars – like red or white wine vinegar – instead of plain white vinegar.
If you like a little kick in your sandwich, then pickled jalapenos are going to be right up your alley. Pickling jalapenos is a super easy process and can be done within minutes.
All you need is some sliced or diced jalapenos (depending on the size of your sandwiches), white vinegar, sugar, salt, and garlic powder.
- In a saucepan, bring the vinegar, sugar, and seasonings to a boil before adding the jalapenos.
- Simmer for 2-3 minutes until they are soft but not mushy (you don’t want them to lose their crunch).
- Finally, let cool before transferring into an airtight container – voila!
Your pickled jalapenos will last about two weeks in the fridge and make for delicious sandwich toppings!
Any true Mexican food-lover knows that guacamole is a must-have topping for sandwiches.
Not only does it provide a creamy texture, but it also adds an extra level of flavor to your sandwich.
To prepare the guacamole, mash up some avocados until they reach your desired consistency, then mix in some diced onions or tomatoes, cilantro, and lime juice.
A pinch of salt will bring out the flavors even more!
Pro Tip: When you’re ready to add the guacamole to your sandwich, spread on just enough so that there’s still crunch from the bread – don’t overwhelm it with too much!
4. Sliced Avocado
Avocado works wonders on sandwiches, adding a creamy texture and fresh flavor.
- To prepare your sliced avocado, start with a ripe one – you want the skin to be slightly soft when you press into it.
- Cut the avocado in half lengthwise, then twist it apart.
- Carefully remove the pit (or stone) with a spoon, then scoop out the flesh of each half and slice into thin strips.
- Place them on your sandwich for an extra boost of flavor!
Pro Tip: If you’re not eating right away, sprinkle some lime juice over your slices to prevent them from browning too quickly.
This is a great brisket sandwich topping (or any sandwich, really).
Caramelized onions are sweet and savory and add a unique flavor to your sandwich.
- To prepare them, start by slicing the onion into thin strips.
- Heat up some oil in a skillet over medium heat and add the onions.
- Let them cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until they become soft and golden-brown.
- Add some salt to taste, then spoon them onto your sandwich.
Pro Tip: For an extra kick of flavor, you can mix in some garlic or dried herbs while cooking the onions!
Who can say no to a good barbecue sauce?
It’s definitely one of the most popular sandwich toppings out there.
Not only can it be used on sandwiches, but also you can use it as a dip for chicken or french fries, or even to add flavor to your grilled meats.
Preparing your own homemade barbecue sauce is also very easy – all you need are ketchup, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, and spices like garlic powder, onion powder, and chili powder.
Pro Tip: If you want to give your barbecue sauce an extra kick of flavor, try adding a teaspoon of smoked paprika!
Coleslaw and sandwiches go together like peanut butter and jelly.
It’s creamy, crunchy and adds a perfect level of sweetness to your favorite sammy.
- To make coleslaw at home, all you need is some shredded cabbage, mayo, sugar and vinegar.
- Mix it all together and let it sit in the refrigerator for an hour or two before serving – this allows the flavors to really develop.
Pro Tip: For added flavor and texture, mix in some diced bell peppers or a handful of sunflower seeds!
Once you add this sauce to your brisket sandwich, you’ll never go back!
Horseradish sauce is tangy and spicy, and it adds a nice kick to any sandwich.
- To prepare it, combine mayonnaise, horseradish, garlic powder, onion powder and some Worcestershire sauce in a bowl.
- Mix well until combined.
If you like your sandwiches extra saucy, add an extra tablespoon or two of mayo or horseradish.
Pro Tip: For an even more flavorful topping, try adding some fresh herbs such as chives or parsley to the mix!
Pickles are usually a hit or miss for people, but I’m definitely in the “hit” camp.
Adding pickles to your sandwich is an easy way to add a nice crunch and a unique flavor!
Preparing them couldn’t be simpler – just slice up some cucumber into thin rounds, then soak them in vinegar and spices overnight; for added kick, try adding red pepper flakes or jalapeños.
The next day you’ll have delicious homemade pickles that are ready to top off your favorite sandwiches.
Pro Tip: If you don’t have time (or can’t be bothered) to make your own pickles, store-bought ones work just as well!
10. Sliced Tomatoes
Tomatoes add a freshness and crunch to any sandwich.
Slice them fairly thin so that they fit nicely in the sandwich and won’t make it soggy.
You can add a pinch of salt and pepper or Italian seasoning for extra flavor.
If you want to get creative, you could try marinating your tomatoes with some olive oil, garlic, herbs and spices before adding it to your sandwich.
It’s an easy way to bring even more flavor into your meal!
Pro Tip: To keep the tomatoes from getting too juicy, remove the seeds before slicing.
11. Fried Egg
A fried egg is tough to beat when it comes to sandwich toppings.
It adds a delicious creamy texture and savory flavor that pairs well with just about any sandwich.
- To make one, heat up a pan on medium-high heat with some oil or butter.
- Crack an egg into the pan and let cook for 3 minutes or until desired doneness.
- Place the fried egg onto your sandwich of choice for a unique flavor experience!
Pro Tip: Try adding some sriracha or hot sauce to give the fried egg an extra kick of spice!
Mustard is often overlooked as a sandwich topping, but it can add a great flavor and a nice kick to your sandwich.
You can buy yellow mustard or dijon mustard in any grocery store, both of which are great for sandwiches.
For an extra kick, you could try making your own mustard by mixing together yellow mustard seeds with vinegar and spices like turmeric, cumin and garlic powder.
This homemade version will last up to three months in the fridge!
Pro Tip: Mustard goes great with cheese sandwiches – just spread some on both sides of your bread before adding the cheese slices.
13. Sliced Cheese
As a cheese lover, the addition of a few slices of cheese to any sandwich can really take it up a notch.
Sliced cheese is an easy topping to prepare, and there are so many varieties you could choose from!
Cheddar, Swiss, Provolone, Monterey Jack – the options are endless.
If you want something even more unique, try Gouda or Brie for some extra oomph.
Pro Tip: To give your sandwich an extra cheesy kick, use two different types of cheese; one milder flavor and one sharp flavor.
14. Sliced Mushrooms
Mushrooms are often overlooked but are a great addition to sandwiches.
You can quickly prepare them by slicing them thin and sautéing in butter or olive oil with salt and pepper for about 5 minutes over medium heat.
They will be a delicious and savory topping for your sandwich, adding some umami flavor that’s hard to find elsewhere.
Pro Tip: For an extra burst of flavor, add garlic powder while they’re cooking!
Lastly, roasted red peppers are a great addition to any sandwich.
Roasting the peppers brings out their natural sweetness and adds an irresistible smokiness.
- To prepare them, preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and put your peppers on a baking sheet.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes, or until the skin is charred and blistered.
- Let them cool before you peel off the skins, cut into slices and enjoy!
Pro Tip: You can also roast jalapeños if you want an extra kick of heat in your sandwiches.
15 Brisket Sandwich Toppings You Must Try
- Pickled Onions
- Pickled Jalapenos
- Sliced Avocado
- Caramelized Onions
- Barbecue Sauce
- Horseradish Sauce
- Sliced Tomatoes
- Fried Egg
- Sliced Cheese
- Sliced Mushrooms
- Roasted Red Peppers
- Pick your favorite toppings from this article to add to your sandwich recipe.
- Prepare the topping however you'd like.
- Enjoy your meal in no time!