Not sure what to serve with kimchi fried rice?
You’ve come to the right place!
Kimchi fried rice is a beloved Korean dish consisting of fermented kimchi, cooked in sesame oil, soy sauce and diced vegetables.
It’s a flavorful and unique way to enjoy ramen or white rice.
But before you start scooping it into your bowl, you need some amazing side dishes served alongside this traditional dish for a complete meal.
Here are 10 of the best sides that I’ve discovered pair perfectly with my homemade Kimchi Fried Rice!
From sauteed mushrooms and broccoli stir-fry to daikon radish pickles and salmon teriyaki roll sushi, you can almost taste the deliciousness just by scrolling through this list.
The ideal accompaniments will bring out all the flavors of your filled plate while adding even more texture, color and juiciness making each bite extraordinary!
Read Also: 30 Fried Rice Toppings Ideas
Why Consider Serving Sides with Kimchi Fried Rice?
Serving sides with kimchi fried rice is a great way to add variety and flavor to the meal.
Here are three reasons why:
- Variety of Flavors: Kimchi fried rice has a unique, spicy flavor that can be complemented by other dishes. Serving sides such as steamed vegetables or grilled fish will provide contrast in texture and taste, making for an interesting and flavorful meal.
- Balance of Nutrients: Sides can help balance out the nutritional profile of kimchi fried rice, which is high in sodium and fat due to its use of oil and fermented ingredients like kimchi. Adding lean proteins such as grilled chicken or tofu, along with fresh fruits or vegetables, will provide essential vitamins and minerals while helping keep calories in check.
- Visual Appeal: Presentation matters when it comes to food! Serving sides alongside your kimchi fried rice adds visual appeal to the plate, creating an inviting presentation that’s sure to please everyone at the table.
What To Serve With Kimchi Fried Rice? 10 Best Side Dishes
Kimchi fried rice is a great way to enjoy the delicious flavors of kimchi. But what should you serve with it?
Here are ten side dishes that will perfectly complement this flavorful dish:
1. Sauteed Mushrooms
- What Is It? Sauteed mushrooms are a classic side dish that pairs perfectly with kimchi fried rice. Mushrooms are sautéed in butter or oil until they’re golden brown and tender, then seasoned with salt and pepper. You can use any type of mushroom you like, such as button mushrooms, shiitake mushrooms, or portobello mushrooms.
- Serving Them Together: Kimchi fried rice is a flavorful dish on its own, but adding sautéed mushrooms to the mix will make it even more delicious. The savory flavor of the mushrooms complements the spicy kick of the kimchi perfectly. Serve them together for an easy weeknight dinner that’s sure to please everyone at the table!
2. Broccoli Stir-Fry
- What Is It? Broccoli stir-fry is a classic Chinese dish that combines fresh broccoli with garlic, ginger, and other seasonings. The vegetables are quickly cooked in a hot wok or skillet until they are tender but still crisp. This dish can be served as a side to kimchi fried rice for an easy and delicious meal.
- Serving Them Together: Kimchi fried rice and broccoli stir-fry make the perfect pair! The savory flavors of the kimchi fried rice are complemented by the crunchy texture of the broccoli stir-fry. Serve them together with some steamed white rice for a complete meal that’s sure to please everyone at your table!
3. Daikon Radish Pickles
- What Is It? Daikon radish pickles are a traditional Korean side dish made from daikon radishes that have been salted and fermented. The pickles are crunchy, slightly sweet, and tangy in flavor. They can be served as an accompaniment to kimchi fried rice or other dishes.
- Serving Them Together: Kimchi fried rice is a great way to enjoy the delicious flavors of kimchi, but it can be enhanced by serving it with daikon radish pickles on the side. The crunchy texture of the pickles complements the softness of the rice while adding a hint of sweetness and tanginess to each bite. For an even more flavorful experience, try adding some chopped scallions or sesame seeds for extra flavor and texture.
4. Korean Spicy Cucumber Salad
- What Is It? Korean Spicy Cucumber Salad is a traditional side dish made with cucumbers, garlic, and chili peppers. The cucumbers are sliced thin and marinated in a mixture of vinegar, sugar, salt, sesame oil, and gochujang (Korean red pepper paste). This salad is spicy and flavorful with a hint of sweetness.
- Serving Them Together: Kimchi fried rice is the perfect accompaniment to Korean Spicy Cucumber Salad. The combination of the savory kimchi fried rice with the sweet-spicy flavor of the cucumber salad creates an amazing balance of flavors that will tantalize your taste buds. Serve them together as part of a larger meal or as a light lunch or dinner option.
5. Grilled Fish or Chicken
- What Is It? Grilled fish or chicken is a classic accompaniment to kimchi fried rice. Fish and chicken are both lean proteins that pair well with the spicy flavors of kimchi. Grilling them adds a smoky flavor that complements the savory notes in the dish.
- Serving Them Together: To serve grilled fish or chicken with kimchi fried rice, start by marinating your protein of choice in a mixture of soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic, and ginger for at least an hour before grilling it. Once it’s cooked through, slice it into thin strips and serve alongside your kimchi fried rice. The combination of smoky grilled protein and spicy-savory kimchi fried rice makes for a delicious meal!
6. Korean Mung Bean Sprouts Salad
- What Is It? Korean Mung Bean Sprouts Salad is a popular side dish in Korea. It is made with mung bean sprouts, which are cooked and then mixed with sesame oil, garlic, scallions, and other seasonings. The result is a crunchy and flavorful salad that pairs perfectly with kimchi fried rice.
- Serving Them Together: Kimchi fried rice and Korean Mung Bean Sprouts Salad make an excellent combination for dinner or lunch. Serve the two dishes together as part of a larger meal or as individual sides. For added flavor, top the kimchi fried rice with some of the salad before serving. You can also add some diced vegetables such as carrots or bell peppers to the salad for extra color and texture.
7. Grilled Kimchi
- What Is It? Grilled kimchi is a popular Korean dish made by grilling or pan-frying kimchi, which is fermented cabbage. The result is a savory and slightly spicy side dish that pairs well with other dishes.
- Serving Them Together: Kimchi fried rice can be served as a main course or as part of an Asian-inspired meal. To make it more substantial, add grilled chicken, pork, beef, or tofu to the mix. Serve the kimchi fried rice alongside grilled kimchi for a delicious combination of flavors and textures. For an extra kick of flavor, top the fried rice with sesame seeds and chopped scallions before serving.
8. Spicy Honey-Glazed Tofu
- What Is It? Spicy Honey-Glazed Tofu is a delicious side dish that pairs perfectly with Kimchi Fried Rice. The tofu is marinated in a spicy and sweet sauce made of honey, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, and chili flakes. The marinade gives the tofu an amazing flavor and texture that complements the kimchi fried rice perfectly.
- Serving Them Together: To serve these two dishes together, start by preparing the kimchi fried rice according to your recipe instructions. While it’s cooking, prepare the spicy honey-glazed tofu by marinating it in the sauce for at least 30 minutes before pan-frying it until golden brown. Serve both dishes hot with some steamed vegetables or a simple salad on the side for a complete meal!
9. Steamed White Rice
- What Is It? Steamed white rice is a staple in many Asian cuisines. It is made by boiling long-grain white rice with water until it is cooked through. The grains of the cooked rice are light and fluffy, making it an ideal accompaniment to dishes like kimchi fried rice.
- Serving Them Together: Kimchi fried rice can be served as a main dish or side dish, depending on what other items you have on your menu. If serving as a main dish, steamed white rice makes for an excellent accompaniment that helps to balance out the spiciness of the kimchi and adds some extra texture to the meal. For a side dish, steamed white rice can help fill out the plate and provide some additional carbohydrates for energy.
10. Salmon Sushi Bowls
- What Is It? Salmon sushi bowls are a delicious and easy way to enjoy the flavors of kimchi fried rice. The bowl is made with cooked sushi rice, topped with fresh salmon, avocado slices, cucumber slices, and pickled ginger. The entire dish is then drizzled with a spicy mayo sauce for an extra kick of flavor.
- Serving Them Together: Kimchi fried rice and salmon sushi bowls make a great combination when served together. Start by serving the kimchi fried rice in individual bowls or on one large platter. Then top each bowl or platter with pieces of fresh salmon, avocado slices, cucumber slices, and pickled ginger. Finally, drizzle the entire dish with a spicy mayo sauce for an extra kick of flavor. Serve this combination as part of your next dinner party or as an easy weeknight meal!
In conclusion, kimchi fried rice is a delicious and flavorful dish that can be paired with a variety of sides.
The best sides to serve with kimchi fried rice are sauteed mushrooms, broccoli stir-fry, daikon radish pickles, Korean spicy cucumber salad, grilled fish or chicken, Korean-style bean sprouts, grilled kimchi, soy sauce-glazed tofu, steamed white rice, and salmon teriyaki roll sushi.
These sides are all tasty and easy to make, and will help to add a variety of flavors and textures to your meal.
With these 10 delicious sides, you’ll never run out of ideas for what to serve with kimchi fried rice.
What To Serve With Kimchi Fried Rice? 10 Best Side Dishes
- Sauteed Mushrooms
- Broccoli Stir-Fry
- Daikon Radish Pickles
- Korean Spicy Cucumber Salad
- Grilled Fish or Chicken
- Korean Mung Bean Sprouts Salad
- Grilled Kimchi
- Spicy Honey-Glazed Tofu
- Steamed White Rice
- Salmon Sushi Bowls
- Pick your favorite recipe from the article.
- Organize your ingredients and utensils.
- Follow the detailed instructions in the recipe to make your side dish.
- Prepare and serve for delicious meal!
Jenny has always been passionate about cooking, and she uses her platform to share her joy of food with others. Her recipes are easy to follow, and she loves giving tips and tricks to help others create their own unique culinary creations.