When you know what vegetables go with jerk chicken, you can create an extra flavorful and filling meal.
Jerk chicken is a classic Jamaican dish that has conquered the hearts of many foodies.
It’s spicy and delicious—often served as a party favorite or family staple.
But if you want to take your plate up a notch, pair it with the right vegetable side dishes!
I’ve compiled 10 incredible recipes that will make your meal balanced, nutritious, and exceptionally tasty.
From roasted sweet potatoes to broccoli slaw salad, bok choy stir fry to parmesan roasted zucchini—these sides are as simple as they are scrumptious!
Let’s explore some amazing veggie side dishes for jerk chicken—it’ll be worth it!
What Vegetables Go with Jerk Chicken? 10 Vegetable Side Dishes
Jerk chicken is a flavorful dish, but it can be enhanced with the addition of vegetables.
Here are ten delicious vegetable side dishes that pair perfectly with jerk chicken:
Collard greens are a member of the cabbage family.
They have dark green leaves that are slightly bitter and earthy in flavor, and can be cooked in a variety of ways.
They are often served with southern dishes like jerk chicken.
- What You’ll Need: To make collard greens, you will need 1 pound of fresh collard greens, 1/4 cup olive oil, 2 cloves garlic (minced), 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar, 1 teaspoon sugar, salt to taste, and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- How To Make It: Begin by washing the collards thoroughly and tearing them into bite-sized pieces. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and sauté for one minute until fragrant. Add the collards to the pan along with the vinegar and sugar. Cook for 10 minutes or until tender-crisp stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper to taste before serving alongside jerk chicken or other entrée of choice!
Simple Sautéed Cabbage
Simple sautéed cabbage is a classic side dish that can be enjoyed with jerk chicken or any other type of protein.
It is made by cooking shredded cabbage in butter and spices, resulting in a flavorful and nutritious accompaniment to your meal.
- What You’ll Need: To make simple sautéed cabbage, you’ll need one head of green cabbage, two tablespoons of butter, one teaspoon of salt, one teaspoon of black pepper, and two teaspoons of garlic powder.
- How To Make It: Begin by shredding the head of green cabbage into thin strips. Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat until it begins to bubble. Add the shredded cabbage to the pan and stir until all pieces are coated with butter. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and garlic powder and stir again so that the seasonings are evenly distributed throughout the mixture. Reduce heat to low and cook for 15 minutes stirring occasionally until desired tenderness is reached. Serve warm alongside jerk chicken or other proteins for a delicious meal!
Oven-Roasted Corn on the Cob
Oven-roasted corn on the cob is a delicious side dish that can be served with any main course.
It is made by roasting whole ears of corn in the oven until they are tender and lightly browned.
The result is sweet, juicy kernels of corn that have been roasted to perfection.
- What You’ll Need: To make oven-roasted corn on the cob you will need four ears of fresh sweet corn, 1/4 cup melted butter or olive oil, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon paprika, salt and pepper to taste.
- How To Make It: Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Peel back the husks from each ear of corn so that they are just barely still attached at one end. Remove all of the silky threads from each ear and discard them. Place each ear of corn onto a sheet pan lined with foil or parchment paper. Brush each ear with melted butter or olive oil and sprinkle them generously with garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper to taste. Roast in preheated oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown and slightly charred around the edges. Serve warm with jerk chicken for a delicious dinner!
Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Roasted garlic mashed potatoes are a delicious and flavorful side dish.
They are made by roasting garlic cloves in the oven until they are lightly golden brown, then mashing them together with cooked potatoes.
The result is a creamy and savory mashed potato that pairs perfectly with jerk chicken or any other main course.
What You’ll Need: To make roasted garlic mashed potatoes, you will need russet potatoes (peeled and diced), butter, milk, salt, pepper, olive oil, and garlic cloves.
How to Make It
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (204°C).
- Peel the garlic cloves and place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast for 15 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat.
- Add the diced potatoes and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender when pierced with a fork.
- Drain the potatoes in a colander then transfer back to the pot over low heat for 1 minute to evaporate any remaining moisture from the potatoes.
- Remove from heat and mash using either an electric mixer or potato masher until desired consistency is reached; add butter, milk, salt & pepper to taste as you mash if desired.
- Once roasted garlic has finished cooking in the oven remove from pan onto cutting board; roughly chop each clove before adding it into your mashed potato mixture along with additional butter/milk/salt & pepper if needed; serve warm alongside jerk chicken!
Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Mashed sweet potatoes are a classic side dish made with boiled, mashed sweet potatoes that have been mixed with butter, milk, and seasonings.
The result is a creamy and flavorful accompaniment to many main dishes.
What You’ll Need: To make mashed sweet potatoes you will need 4-5 large sweet potatoes (peeled and cubed), 1/4 cup butter (melted), 1/2 cup milk or cream, salt and pepper to taste. Optional ingredients include nutmeg, cinnamon, brown sugar, honey or maple syrup.
How To Make It
- Begin by boiling the peeled and cubed sweet potatoes until they are tender when pierced with a fork.
- Drain them well in a colander before transferring them to a bowl.
- Mash the cooked sweet potato cubes using either an electric mixer or potato masher until smooth.
- Add melted butter and mix again until fully combined.
- Slowly add milk while mixing on low speed until desired consistency is reached; add more if needed for creamier texture.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste then stir in any optional ingredients as desired such as nutmeg, cinnamon, brown sugar or honey/maple syrup for added sweetness if desired.
- Serve hot alongside your favorite jerk chicken dish!
Grilled asparagus is a delicious side dish that can be enjoyed year-round.
Asparagus is a vegetable with long, thin stalks and small buds on the ends.
It has a mild flavor that pairs well with many dishes.
- What You’ll Need: To make grilled asparagus, you will need 1 pound of fresh asparagus spears, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, salt and pepper to taste, and aluminum foil (optional).
- How To Make It: Start by preheating your grill to medium-high heat. Trim the woody ends off of the asparagus spears and discard them. Place the spears in a large bowl or on a plate and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper to taste. If desired, wrap each spear individually in aluminum foil for easier grilling. Grill for 5 minutes per side until tender but still crisp when pierced with a fork. Serve warm alongside jerk chicken for an unforgettable dinner!
Fried plantains are a popular Caribbean side dish.
They are made by slicing and frying ripe plantain, which is similar to a banana but larger and sweeter.
The slices can be fried in butter or oil until golden brown and crispy on the outside, while still being soft on the inside.
- What You’ll Need: To make fried plantains you will need one large ripe plantain, 1/4 cup of vegetable oil (or butter), salt to taste, and optional toppings such as grated cheese or sour cream.
- How To Make It: Begin by peeling the plantain with a knife or your fingers. Slice it into 1/2-inch thick pieces. Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat until it starts to shimmer. Add the sliced plantains to the pan and fry for 2-3 minutes per side until golden brown and crispy on both sides. Remove from heat and season with salt to taste. Serve warm with optional toppings as desired.
Cucumber, Tomato, and Onion Salad
Cucumber, tomato, and onion salad is a simple yet flavorful side dish that combines fresh cucumbers, tomatoes, and onions with a light dressing.
The combination of flavors creates a refreshing and colorful salad that pairs perfectly with jerk chicken or any other main dish.
- What You’ll Need: To make this salad you will need 3 cups of diced cucumber, 1 cup of diced tomatoes, 1/2 cup of diced red onion, 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil, 1 tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice, salt to taste (optional), and ground black pepper to taste (optional).
- How To Make It: Begin by dicing the cucumbers into small cubes. Then dice the tomatoes into similarly sized pieces. Next dice the red onion into small pieces as well. In a large bowl combine all ingredients together and mix until everything is evenly distributed. Drizzle in the extra-virgin olive oil and vinegar or lemon juice over top and stir until everything is evenly coated with the dressing. Add salt and pepper to taste if desired before serving chilled alongside your jerk chicken dinner!
Coleslaw is a classic side dish made with shredded cabbage and carrots, mixed with a creamy dressing. It’s often served alongside grilled or fried foods, such as jerk chicken.
It’s also popular at picnics and barbecues for its crunchy texture and cool flavor.
- What You’ll Need: To make coleslaw you will need 1/2 head of green cabbage, 1/2 head of red cabbage, 2 large carrots, 1/4 cup mayonnaise, 2 tablespoons white vinegar, 2 tablespoons sugar (optional), 1 teaspoon celery seed (optional), salt and pepper to taste.
- How To Make It: Start by shredding the cabbage and carrots into thin strips using a sharp knife or mandoline slicer. In a separate bowl whisk together the mayonnaise, white vinegar, sugar (if desired) celery seed (if desired) salt and pepper until combined. Pour the dressing over the vegetables in a large bowl and toss until evenly coated. Taste for seasoning adding more if needed. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
Crispy Fried Okra
Crispy fried okra is a popular side dish made with fresh okra, which is cut into thin slices and then coated in a light batter before being deep-fried.
The result is a crunchy, flavorful accompaniment to any meal.
- What You’ll Need: To make crispy fried okra you will need 1/2 lb of fresh okra, 1 cup of all-purpose flour, 2 teaspoons of garlic powder, 2 teaspoons of onion powder, 2 tablespoons of cornstarch, 1 teaspoon of baking soda, 1/4 teaspoon salt, vegetable oil for frying.
- How to Make It: Begin by washing the okra and cutting it into thin slices. In a medium bowl mix together the flour, garlic powder, onion powder, cornstarch baking soda and salt. Heat about two inches of oil in a large skillet over medium heat until hot but not smoking. Dip each slice of okra into the batter and coat well on both sides before placing it gently into the hot oil. Fry for about three minutes or until golden brown then remove from heat and drain on paper towels. Serve warm as an accompaniment to jerk chicken or your favorite main course!
What Vegetables Go with Jerk Chicken? (10 Vegetable Sides)
- Collard Greens
- Simple Sautéed Cabbage
- Oven-Roasted Corn on the Cob
- Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Grilled Asparagus
- Fried Plantains
- Cucumber, Tomato, and Onion Salad
- Crispy Fried Okra
- Select your favorite recipe.
- Organize all the required ingredients.
- Prep a delicious vegetable side dish in 30 minutes or less!
Jenny has always been passionate about cooking, and she uses her platform to share her joy of food with others. Her recipes are easy to follow, and she loves giving tips and tricks to help others create their own unique culinary creations.