When you have a few cans of abalone in your pantry, you may be wondering what recipes you can make with them.
Abalone is a type of shellfish that is popular in Chinese cuisine.
It is often used in soups and stews, or stir-fried with vegetables.
If you are looking for some easy canned abalone recipes to try, then you are in the right place.
I’m sharing 9 of my favorite recipes including abalone soup, abalone stir-fry, and more.
9 Easy Canned Abalone Recipes
When you have a can (or more) of abalone sitting in your pantry, you might be wondering what to do with it.
Here are 9 recipes that will help you use up that abalone, and they range from easy to more complex:
1. Abalone and Vegetable Stir-Fry
A stir-fry is a great way to use up a can of abalone.
You can add any vegetables you like, but some good choices include broccoli, peppers, and onions.
For extra flavor, you can add a little garlic or ginger to the stir-fry.
Serve over rice or noodles for a complete meal.
Here are 5 tips for making a great abalone and vegetable stir-fry:
- Use fresh vegetables for the best flavor.
- Cut the vegetables into bite-sized pieces so they cook evenly.
- Don’t overcook the abalone or it will be tough.
- Add a little soy sauce or fish sauce to the stir-fry for extra flavor.
- Serve the stir-fry over rice or noodles.
2. Abalone and Mushroom Soup
I’m sure you’ve tried mushroom soup before, but have you ever had it with abalone?
This unique twist on the classic soup is sure to please your taste buds.
Simply add a can of abalone ( drained and rinsed) to your favorite mushroom soup recipe.
For an extra bit of flavor, try sautéing the mushrooms in a bit of butter before adding them to the soup.
3. Braised Abalone with Tofu
You don’t have to be vegan to enjoy tofu, and this recipe for braised abalone with tofu is proof of that.
The abalone adds a delicious seafood flavor to the dish, while the tofu provides a hearty, satisfying texture.
This dish is also very versatile – you can serve it over rice, noodles, or even just vegetables.
For an extra boost of flavor, try adding some ginger, garlic, or green onions to the dish.
4. Stir-Fried Abalone with Broccoli
Broccoli is known for being a bit bland, so this recipe seeks to give it a boost of flavor with the addition of abalone.
This seafood is cooked in a stir fry with the broccoli, and can be served over rice or noodles.
To make this dish even more flavorful, try adding a bit of garlic, ginger, and soy sauce to the mix.
Here are 5 helpful tips to make your stir-fry even better:
- If you’re using frozen broccoli, be sure to thaw it out completely before cooking. Otherwise, it will release too much water and make your stir-fry soggy.
- Cut the broccoli into bite-sized pieces so that it cooks evenly.
- When stir-frying, make sure the pan is hot before adding the oil. Then, add the ingredients in the order that they’ll need to be cooked (i.e. the meat first, then the veggies).
- Don’t overcrowd the pan – this will make it harder to get a nice sear on the ingredients.
- Once everything is cooked through, give the stir-fry a final toss with some sesame oil and serve immediately.
5. Abalone Fried Rice
Fried rice has always been popular in my family, and this recipe is a great way to use up a can of abalone.
I like to add extra vegetables to my fried rice, like peas, carrots, and corn.
You could also add some protein, like chicken or shrimp.
For extra flavor, I like to add a little oyster sauce to the dish.
Here are some tips for making a great abalone fried rice:
- Be sure to cook the rice properly before adding the other ingredients. Fried rice is best when the rice is nice and fluffy.
- If you are using frozen vegetables, be sure to thaw them out before adding them to the dish.
- Don’t be afraid to experiment with different flavors. You could add some ginger or garlic to the dish, or even a little bit of spice with chili flakes.
6. Abalone and Noodle Bowls
These bowls will be great for a simple yet tasty meal.
You can start by cooking the noodles according to package instructions.
While the noodles are cooking, heat up a can of abalone in a separate pan.
Once both the noodles and abalone are cooked, combine them in a bowl and add your desired toppings.
Some ideas for toppings include green onions, cilantro, soy sauce, and sesame seeds.
You can also add extra flavor to the dish by stir-frying the abalone in a bit of oil before adding it to the noodles.
This will help to create a more robust flavor.
7. Abalone Congee
Congee or conjee is a type of rice porridge or gruel popular in many Asian countries.
It is made by cooking rice in water or stock until it breaks down into a thick, creamy consistency.
Abalone makes a great addition to congee, and its rich flavor pairs well with other ingredients commonly used in this dish, such as ginger, scallions, and soy sauce.
To make abalone congee, simply simmer abalone in water or stock until tender, then add it to your cooked rice along with the other desired ingredients.
You can also fry or sauté the abalone before adding it to the congee for extra flavor.
8. Abalone Porridge
If you’re feeling fancy, abalone porridge is a great way to show off your culinary skills.
This dish is traditionally made with rice, but feel free to experiment with other grains like quinoa or millet.
The porridge can be topped with just about anything – think scallions, ginger, and sesame oil for a classic flavor profile, or get creative with other herbs and spices.
Abalone is a delicate ingredient, so be sure not to overcook it.
A few minutes in a simmering pot of water is all it needs.
9. Abalone Egg Fried Rice
Got some eggs and a can of abalone?
You can make a delicious fried rice dish with them!
Just scramble the eggs and add them to the rice along with the abalone.
You can also add in some chopped vegetables like onions, peppers, and carrots for extra flavor and nutrition.
If you want, you can also add a little soy sauce or fish sauce to taste.
This makes a great quick and easy meal that’s perfect for busy weeknights.
9 Easy Canned Abalone Recipes
- Abalone and Vegetable Stir-Fry
- Abalone and Mushroom Soup
- Braised Abalone with Tofu
- Stir-Fried Abalone with Broccoli
- Abalone Fried Rice
- Abalone and Noodle Bowls
- Abalone Congee
- Abalone Porridge
- Abalone Egg Fried Rice
- Pick any of these recipes to use up your canned abalone.
- Prepare the ingredients according to the recipe.
- Enjoy in no time!