If you’ve ever had the pleasure of eating a tuna salad, you know how delicious it can be.
The combination of flavors and textures is simply irresistible, but the key to making a great tuna salad is using the right type of pasta.
There are so many types of pasta available in stores and online that it can be hard to choose one.
But don’t worry – I’m here to help!
In this article, I will go over five types of pasta that work best for tuna salads.
Whether you prefer long or short noodles, there’s something for everyone!
Read Also: Tuna Wine Pairing – The Best Wines for Tuna Meals
Why Even Use Pasta in Tuna Salad?
Pasta is a great addition to tuna salad because it adds texture and flavor.
The pasta absorbs the flavors of the other ingredients, such as mayonnaise, mustard, and pickles, making each bite more flavorful.
It also provides a nice contrast in texture with the crunchy vegetables like celery or onions that are often added to tuna salad.
Pasta can be used in many different ways when making tuna salad.
You can use any type of short-cut pasta such as macaroni or shells for a classic version, or you could try something more unique like fusilli or farfalle for an interesting twist on the dish.
If you want to make your tuna salad healthier, opt for whole wheat pasta instead of white; this will add extra fiber and nutrients without sacrificing taste.
Overall, adding pasta to your tuna salad is an easy way to take it from ordinary to extraordinary!
The 5 Best Types of Pasta for Tuna Salad
Tuna salad is a classic dish that can be made with any type of pasta.
For the best results, it’s important to choose the right kind of pasta that will best compliment the flavors of the tuna.
Here are five types of pasta that work perfectly for tuna salads:
Rotini is a type of pasta that is shaped like a corkscrew or spiral.
It has ridges on the outside and a hollow center, which makes it perfect for holding sauces and other ingredients.
The name comes from the Italian word rotire, which means to twist or turn.
- Cooking: To cook rotini, bring a pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the rotini and stir occasionally until al dente (tender but still slightly firm). Drain the cooked pasta in a colander and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Uses: Rotini is an incredibly versatile pasta that can be used in many different dishes. It’s great for salads because its shape holds onto dressings well, making it ideal for tuna salad or macaroni salad recipes. It also works well as part of casseroles or baked dishes since it absorbs flavors easily when cooked properly. Additionally, you can use it as part of soups or stews by adding it at the end so that it doesn’t get too soggy while simmering in liquid.
Fusilli is a type of pasta that is shaped like a corkscrew or spiral.
It’s made from durum wheat flour and water, and it can be found in both short and long varieties.
The short variety is often used in salads while the longer version is better suited for dishes with sauces.
- To cook fusilli, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the fusilli to the boiling water and stir occasionally until al dente (tender but still firm). Drain the cooked pasta in a colander and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Fusilli is an excellent choice for tuna salad because its shape helps hold onto all of those delicious ingredients like mayonnaise, celery, onion, capers, lemon juice, parsley, garlic powder, salt and pepper. It also pairs well with other types of salads such as macaroni salad or potato salad. You can also use it as an alternative to spaghetti when making classic Italian dishes such as Bolognese sauce or carbonara sauce.
Farfalle, also known as bow-tie pasta, is a type of Italian pasta that is shaped like a bow tie.
It’s made from durum wheat flour and water and comes in various sizes.
The most common size is the farfalline, which are small pieces about the size of your thumbnail.
- Cooking: To cook farfalle pasta, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the farfalle and stir gently until it returns to a boil. Cook for 8-10 minutes or until al dente (tender but still firm). Drain the cooked pasta in a colander and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Uses: Farfalle can be used in many different recipes such as salads, soups, casseroles, and more! One popular use for this type of pasta is tuna salad; simply mix together canned tuna with mayonnaise or Greek yogurt, diced celery and onion, salt & pepper to taste; then add cooked farfalle noodles into the mixture before serving chilled or at room temperature. You can also use farfalle in other types of salads such as chicken salad or egg salad by adding cooked noodles into your favorite recipe!
Gemelli is a type of pasta that looks like two pieces of spaghetti twisted together.
It’s a short, curved shape with ridges on the outside and hollow in the center.
The name gemelli means “twins” in Italian, which refers to its unique shape.
- Gemelli can be cooked just like any other type of pasta; simply bring a pot of salted water to a boil and add the gemelli. Cook for 8-10 minutes or until al dente (tender but still firm). Once cooked, drain the water and rinse with cold water to stop it from cooking further.
- Common Uses: Gemelli is often used as an alternative to traditional long pastas such as spaghetti or linguine because it has more texture and holds sauces better due to its ridged surface area. It pairs well with creamy sauces, pesto, olive oil-based sauces, tomato sauce, and even tuna salad! To make tuna salad with gemelli pasta, simply mix together canned tuna (drained), mayonnaise, celery stalks (chopped), red onion (diced), capers (optional), lemon juice (optional) and salt & pepper to taste. Then toss in some cooked gemelli pasta for added flavor and texture!
Penne is a type of pasta that is shaped like tubes with ridges on the outside.
It comes in various sizes, from short to long, and can be made from durum wheat or whole wheat flour.
Penne is one of the most popular types of pasta and it’s used in many dishes around the world.
- Cooking: To cook penne, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the penne and stir occasionally until al dente (tender but still firm). Drain the cooked pasta in a colander and rinse with cold water to stop it from cooking further.
- Uses: Penne can be served hot or cold, depending on your preference. It’s often used as an ingredient in salads, soups, casseroles, and baked dishes such as macaroni and cheese. You can also use it for tuna salad; simply mix together canned tuna with mayonnaise, chopped celery and onion, salt & pepper to taste; then add cooked penne before serving chilled or at room temperature.
In conclusion, when making tuna salad, there are many different types of pasta that can be used to create a delicious and filling dish.
The best types of pasta for tuna salad are rotini, fusilli, farfalle, gemelli and penne. All of these types of pasta have unique shapes and textures that will complement the tuna and other ingredients in the salad.
By using one of these types of pasta, you can create a delicious and satisfying meal that is sure to please.
So the next time you’re making tuna salad, reach for one of these pasta types and enjoy!
The 5 Best Types of Pasta for Tuna Salad
- Pick your favorite kind of pasta from this list to use in your tuna salad recipe.
- Prepare the rest of your meal, and enjoy!
Jenny has always been passionate about cooking, and she uses her platform to share her joy of food with others. Her recipes are easy to follow, and she loves giving tips and tricks to help others create their own unique culinary creations.