Mashed potatoes are a classic side dish that can be served with any meal, whether it’s a holiday dinner or a weeknight supper.
But you don’t want to just serve mashed potatoes alone – you need to pair them with the right vegetables!
So if you are wondering what vegetables go with mashed potatoes, then you are in the right place.
I’m sharing 15 of the best veggies to serve alongside mashed potatoes including roasted carrots, steamed broccoli, grilled zucchini, sautéed mushrooms, and more.
Why Consider Serving Vegetables With Mashed Potatoes?
- Texture: Mashed potatoes and vegetables have different textures, which can add variety to a dish. The creamy texture of mashed potatoes contrasts nicely with the crunchy texture of vegetables like carrots or broccoli.
- Flavor: Vegetables are naturally flavorful and can bring out the flavor in mashed potatoes as well as other dishes they are served with. For example, adding roasted garlic to mashed potatoes will give them an extra depth of flavor that pairs well with steamed broccoli or green beans.
- Nutrition: Serving vegetables alongside mashed potatoes is a great way to get more nutrients into your diet without sacrificing taste or texture. Vegetables provide essential vitamins and minerals that help keep us healthy, while mashed potatoes offer carbohydrates for energy and fiber for digestion health.
- Color: Adding colorful vegetables to a plate of mashed potatoes adds visual appeal, making it look more appetizing and inviting than just plain white mash on its own! This also helps make sure you’re getting all the colors from the rainbow in your meals each day – something nutritionists recommend for optimal health benefits!
- Variety: Serving both mashed potatoes and vegetables together gives diners more options when it comes to their meal choices – they can choose one or both depending on how hungry they are! It’s also a great way to introduce new flavors and textures into people’s diets who may not be used to eating certain types of food yet!
What Vegetables Go With Mashed Potatoes? (15 Best Veggies)
Mashed potatoes are a classic side dish, but they can be made even better by adding vegetables.
So what vegetables pair well with mashed potatoes?
Here are fifteen of the best veggies to combine with this comforting dish:
1. Garlic Herb Roasted Potatoes with Carrots and Zucchini
When I’m looking for an all-in-one side dish, garlic herb roasted potatoes are my go-to. They take a few minutes to prepare, so they make a great addition to any meal.
To complement the flavor of the potatoes, I usually add carrots and zucchini for a nutritious punch of color. It’s like having mashed potatoes plus two extra veggies in one delicious dish!
2. Steamed Broccoli
Nothing says classic comfort food quite like steamed broccoli. This unassuming green veggie is packed with plenty of nutrition – vitamins, fiber, minerals – and adds subtle green hues to dishes.
I love adding it as a side because it pairs well with almost anything from burgers to grilled chicken or seafood. Plus, you can season it however you want!
3. Grilled Zucchini
Another favorite veggie side of mine is grilled zucchini spears or slices that have been marinated in herbs and spices like garlic powder and Italian seasoning for added flavor dimension.
The outside grills up just enough to give the veggies some nice char marks while still keeping them tender on the inside.
It’s such an effortless way to upgrade your everyday meals with something new yet familiar at the same time!
4. Sautéed Mushrooms
Adding sautéed mushrooms to your plate is a delicious and easy way to increase the depth of any meal.
I like using portabella or cremini mushrooms, which have a nice meaty texture when cooked in butter or oil.
Then I add some chopped garlic and herbs for even more flavor – delish!
5. Creamed Spinach
Nothing makes me happier than spooning creamy spinach onto my plate. It’s packed with iron, fiber, magnesium, vitamins A and K — plus it tastes amazing.
I love making my own version by mixing silky baby spinach with nutmeg-infused cream sauce — so decadent!
6. Garlic Green Beans
Garlic green beans are an absolute staple in my kitchen because they take just minutes to make.
All you have to do is blanch fresh green beans until they’re crisp-tender, then sautée them in olive oil with lots of minced garlic and some crushed red pepper flakes for heat—delicious! They can be served as a side dish at any meal.
7. Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Brussels sprouts are now my go-to vegetable for any meal. I love the way that roasting them brings out their sweet and nutty flavor.
To make this side dish, I lightly coat halved Brussels sprouts in olive oil, salt, and pepper before popping them in the oven until they’re perfectly tender and golden brown.
8. Grilled Asparagus
Asparagus is a classic accompaniment to almost any main course or salad. Grill it over medium-high heat for about 8 minutes with a bit of olive oil and garlic for added flavor.
The result is a crisp but tender vegetable with an earthy sweetness that complements everything from grilled meats to fish dishes.
9. Caramelized Onions
There’s nothing like slow-cooked caramelized onions as a flavorful companion to any meal.
By cooking thinly sliced onions in butter on low heat until they turn deep golden brown – around 20 minutes – you get this amazing combination of sweet and savory flavors that pairs well with all kinds of dishes, including roasted chicken or steak if desired!
10. Creamy Cauliflower Au Gratin
An ooey-gooey side dish of gratin is the perfect accompaniment to any main course.
Creamy cauliflower au gratin incorporates both chopped and puréed cauliflower with heavy cream and cheese.
This recipe is ideal for infusing a rich yet light flavor into every meal.
11. Honey Garlic Butter Roasted Carrots
Baby carrots are roasted in an aromatic mixture of melted butter, fresh garlic, and honey—the perfect vegetable dish that pairs perfectly with chicken, fish, or pork.
Roasting coaxes out their natural sweetness for an unbeatably delicious dinner side.
12. Roasted Sweet Potatoes
For the sweet tooth among us, diced sweet potatoes are tossed in olive oil before roasting to perfection—a guaranteed crowd-pleaser!
The combination of savory herbs like rosemary and thyme helps to bring out the velvety texture while balancing its inherent sweetness.
13. Sautéed Kale
When it comes to serving up a side of veggies, sautéed kale is one of my go-to’s.
It’s a hearty and flavorful green that can be cooked in minutes with just a little olive oil and garlic.
I love the way it looks after being cooked – crispy on the edges yet chewy and juicy when you bite into it.
Plus, sautéing kale quickly infuses its flavor into accompanying dishes like mashed potatoes or mac & cheese.
14. Grilled Eggplant
Grilled eggplant has an incredibly satisfying texture – tender on the inside yet lightly charred on the outside – which makes it great for serving alongside entrees like steak or pork chops.
In order to get that perfect crispiness, I always brush my eggplants with olive oil before grilling them over medium-high heat until they’re golden brown and delicious!
15. Buttered Corn
Who doesn’t love buttered corn? Whether served whole or cut off the cob, this classic veggie side dish pairs perfectly with every kind of meal.
Cooking corn in butter creates a unique nuttiness that really enhances its sweetness while giving it some additional depth of flavor.
And buttered corn is so easy to make too; just melt some butter in a skillet and throw your cobs right in there!
In conclusion, mashed potatoes are a delicious and comforting dish that can easily be paired with a variety of vegetables.
Some of the best vegetables to serve with mashed potatoes include garlic herb roasted potatoes with carrots and zucchini, steamed broccoli, grilled zucchini, sautéed mushrooms, creamed spinach, garlic green beans, roasted brussels sprouts, grilled asparagus, caramelized onions, creamy cauliflower au gratin, honey garlic butter roasted carrots, and roasted sweet potatoes.
These vegetables provide a variety of flavors and textures to complement the mashed potatoes, and can turn a simple dish into an impressive meal. So the next time you’re serving mashed potatoes, be sure to include a few of these vegetables to round out your plate.
What Vegetables Go With Mashed Potatoes? (15 Best Veggies)
- Garlic Herb Roasted Potatoes with Carrots and Zucchini
- Steamed Broccoli
- Grilled Zucchini
- Sautéed Mushrooms
- Creamed Spinach
- Garlic Green Beans
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Grilled Asparagus
- Caramelized Onions
- Creamy Cauliflower Au Gratin
- Honey Garlic Butter Roasted Carrots
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Sautéed Kale
- Grilled Eggplant
- Buttered Corn
- Select your favorite recipe.
- Organize all the required ingredients.
- Prep a veggie side for mashed potatoes in 30 minutes or less!
Jenny has always been passionate about cooking, and she uses her platform to share her joy of food with others. Her recipes are easy to follow, and she loves giving tips and tricks to help others create their own unique culinary creations.