Are you looking for the perfect side dish to accompany your poppy seed chicken casserole?
If so, you’ve come to the right place.
Poppy seed chicken casserole is a classic comfort food that can be served with a variety of sides.
From roasted vegetables and mashed potatoes to salads and grains, there are many delicious options that will pair perfectly with your dish.
In this article, I’ll be sharing 10 of my favorite side dishes that go great with poppy seed chicken casserole.
So get ready to take notes!
Why Consider Serving Side Dishes with Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole?
Serving side dishes with poppy seed chicken casserole can add a variety of flavors and textures to the meal.
Here are three in-depth reasons why you should consider serving side dishes with this dish:
- Balance – Poppy seed chicken casserole is usually quite rich, so adding lighter sides such as steamed vegetables or a salad can help balance out the meal. This will also provide additional nutrition to the meal, making it more complete and satisfying.
- Variety – Serving side dishes with poppy seed chicken casserole adds variety to the plate, which helps keep things interesting for diners who may be eating similar meals throughout the week. Different sides can also bring different flavors and textures that complement each other nicely when served together.
- Presentation – Side dishes can make your poppy seed chicken casserole look more appealing on the plate by providing color contrast and texture variation that makes it stand out from other meals on your table. This will make your dinner guests feel special and give them something extra to enjoy during their meal!
What To Serve With Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole – 10 Best Side Dishes
Poppy seed chicken casserole is a delicious and comforting dish.
But what do you serve with it?
Here are ten side dishes that pair perfectly with this classic recipe, helping to make it an even more enjoyable experience:
- What Is It? Roasted green beans and carrots is a delicious side dish that combines the sweetness of carrots with the crunchy texture of green beans. The vegetables are roasted in the oven until they are tender and lightly browned, creating a flavorful combination that pairs well with any main course.
- How To Make It: Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Toss 1 pound of trimmed green beans and 2 cups of peeled and sliced carrots in 2 tablespoons of olive oil, 1 teaspoon of garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper. Spread the vegetables on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Roast for 20 minutes, stirring once halfway through cooking time. Serve warm as a side dish or cold as part of a salad.
2 – Rice Pilaf
- What Is It? Rice pilaf is a classic side dish made with long-grain rice, vegetables, and herbs. The rice is cooked in a flavorful broth until it’s fluffy and tender. The vegetables add flavor and texture to the dish, while the herbs provide an aromatic finish.
- How To Make It: To make rice pilaf, start by sautéing diced onions and garlic in butter or oil until they are softened. Then add long-grain white or brown rice to the pan and stir to coat it with the fat. Pour in chicken or vegetable broth and bring it to a boil before reducing the heat to low, covering the pot, and simmering for about 20 minutes until all of the liquid has been absorbed. Finally, stir in some chopped fresh parsley or other herbs for flavor before serving hot.
- What Is It? Apple Feta Spinach Salad is a delicious side dish that combines the sweetness of apples, the creaminess of feta cheese, and the crunch of spinach. The salad is dressed with a simple vinaigrette made from olive oil, lemon juice, honey, and Dijon mustard.
- How To Make It: Start by washing and drying your spinach leaves. Then cut up an apple into small cubes and add it to the bowl along with some crumbled feta cheese. In a separate bowl mix together olive oil, lemon juice, honey, Dijon mustard, salt and pepper to make the dressing. Pour over the salad ingredients in the first bowl and toss everything together until evenly coated. Serve chilled or at room temperature for a light yet flavorful side dish!
4 – French Fries
- What Is It? French fries are a classic side dish that is enjoyed all over the world. They are made from potatoes that have been cut into thin strips and deep-fried in oil until golden brown and crispy.
- How To Make It: Start by washing and peeling your potatoes, then cut them into thin strips. Heat up some oil in a large pot or deep fryer to 375°F (190°C). Carefully add the potato strips to the hot oil and fry for about 5 minutes, or until they are golden brown and crispy. Remove with a slotted spoon or spider strainer, drain on paper towels, season with salt, and enjoy!
5 – Mashed Potatoes
- What Is It? Mashed potatoes are a classic side dish made from boiled and mashed potatoes. They are creamy, buttery, and full of flavor. The perfect accompaniment to any meal, mashed potatoes can be served as is or dressed up with herbs, spices, cheese, or other ingredients for added flavor.
- How To Make It: Start by boiling peeled and cubed potatoes in salted water until they are tender. Drain the cooked potatoes and return them to the pot over low heat for a few minutes to evaporate any remaining moisture. Mash the cooked potatoes with a potato masher or ricer until smooth. Add butter, cream (or milk), salt and pepper to taste; mix well until all ingredients are combined. Serve warm with your favorite toppings such as chives, bacon bits, shredded cheese or sour cream!
- What Is It? Greek Olive Pasta Salad is a delicious side dish that combines the flavors of olives, feta cheese, and fresh herbs with pasta. The salad is perfect for summer barbecues or potlucks and can be served either warm or cold.
- How To Make It: Begin by boiling the pasta according to package instructions. While the pasta cooks, prepare the dressing by combining olive oil, red wine vinegar, garlic powder, oregano, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Once the pasta has cooked through, drain it and rinse with cold water to stop it from cooking further. Place the cooled pasta in a large bowl and add in chopped kalamata olives, crumbled feta cheese, diced tomatoes and cucumbers. Pour over the prepared dressing and toss everything together until evenly coated. Serve immediately or chill before serving for an even more refreshing flavor!
7 – Coleslaw
- What Is It? Coleslaw is a classic side dish made with shredded cabbage, carrots, and other vegetables. The vegetables are usually mixed with a creamy dressing made of mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, and seasonings. This dish is often served as an accompaniment to grilled meats or sandwiches.
- How To Make It: To make coleslaw at home, start by shredding one head of cabbage and two carrots in a food processor or by hand. In a large bowl, mix together the cabbage and carrots with 1/4 cup of diced onion and 1/2 cup of diced bell pepper (optional). In a separate bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup of mayonnaise, 2 tablespoons of white vinegar, 2 tablespoons of sugar, 1 teaspoon of celery seed (optional), 1 teaspoon of salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Pour the dressing over the vegetables and toss until everything is evenly coated. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
- What Is It? Oven roasted veggies is a delicious side dish that can be made with any combination of vegetables. The vegetables are cut into small pieces and tossed in olive oil, salt, pepper, and other seasonings before being placed on a baking sheet and cooked in the oven until they are tender and lightly browned.
- How To Make It: Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Cut your desired vegetables into small pieces (about 1-2 inches). Place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, thyme or any other desired seasonings. Toss to coat evenly then spread out in an even layer on the baking sheet. Roast for 20-30 minutes until the vegetables are tender and lightly browned. Serve warm as a side dish or use as part of another recipe such as salads or casseroles.
- What Is It? Baked sweet potatoes are a delicious and nutritious side dish. They are packed with vitamins, minerals, and fiber, making them an excellent addition to any meal. Sweet potatoes can be baked in the oven or cooked in the microwave for a quick and easy side dish.
- How To Make It: Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C). Scrub the sweet potatoes under running water and pat dry with paper towels. Prick each potato several times with a fork or sharp knife. Place the potatoes on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour until tender when pierced with a fork. Serve hot with butter, salt, pepper, cinnamon sugar, honey, maple syrup or other toppings of your choice!
10 – Garlic Bread
- What Is It? Garlic bread is a classic side dish that consists of toasted or grilled bread slices topped with garlic butter. The butter is usually flavored with herbs and spices, such as parsley, oregano, and paprika. Garlic bread can be served as an appetizer or side dish for pasta dishes, soups, salads, and more.
- How To Make It: Making garlic bread at home is easy! Start by preheating your oven to 375°F (190°C). Slice a loaf of Italian or French bread into 1-inch thick slices. Spread softened butter onto each slice and sprinkle with minced garlic, parsley flakes, oregano leaves, salt and pepper. Place the slices on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes until golden brown. Serve warm!
In conclusion, poppy seed chicken casserole is a delicious and easy to prepare dish that is sure to be a hit with everyone.
The best way to complete this meal is to serve it with a variety of side dishes that will complement the flavors of the casserole.
Some of the best side dishes to serve with poppy seed chicken casserole are green beans and carrots, rice pilaf, spinach salad, french fries, mashed potatoes, pasta salad, coleslaw, oven roasted veggies, baked sweet potatoes, and garlic bread.
These side dishes make the perfect accompaniment to the casserole and help to bring out the flavor of the poppy seed chicken.
What To Serve With Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole – 10 Best Side Dishes
- Roasted Green Beans and Carrots
- Rice Pilaf
- Apple Feta Spinach Salad
- French Fries
- Mashed Potatoes
- Greek Olive Pasta Salad
- Oven Roasted Veggies
- Baked Sweet Potato
- Garlic Bread
- Select your favorite recipe.
- Organize all of the required ingredients.
- Prep a side dish in 30 minutes or less.
Jenny has always been passionate about cooking, and she uses her platform to share her joy of food with others. Her recipes are easy to follow, and she loves giving tips and tricks to help others create their own unique culinary creations.