Deciding what sauce goes with chicken pot pie can be a tough decision.
There are so many delicious options out there, and it’s hard to know which one will be the best.
But don’t worry, I’ve got you covered.
I’ve rounded up the 11 best sauces for chicken pot pie, so all you have to do is choose your favorite.
And trust me, with options like these, it won’t be an easy decision.
- Best Vegetables for Chicken Pot Pie
- What To Serve With Chicken Pot Pie – 50 Best Side Dishes
- Chicken Pot Pie Wine Pairing – The 10 Best Wines
What Sauce Goes with Chicken Pot Pie?
Some of the best sauces for chicken pot pie include gravy, cream, and cheese sauces. These sauces will help to bind the ingredients together and add flavor to the dish. You can also use a tomato-based sauce, which will add a touch of acidity and sweetness to the pot pie.
With so many delicious sauces out there, how do you choose the right one for your chicken pie?
Here are three things to consider when choosing a sauce for your chicken pot pie:
- The Flavor of Your Chicken Pot Pie Filling: First and foremost, you’ll want to consider the flavor of your chicken pot pie filling when choosing a sauce. If you’re using a pre-made filling, check the ingredient list to get an idea of the flavors that are already in there. Then, choose a sauce that will complement those flavors. For example, if your filling is on the sweet side, you might want to balance it out with a savory or tangy sauce.
- The Texture of Your Chicken Pot Pie Filling: Next, think about the texture of your chicken pot pie filling. Is it thick or thin? Chunky or smooth? If you’re using a thick and chunky filling, you’ll want to choose a thinner sauce so that it doesn’t make the final dish too dense. On the other hand, if you’re using a thin and watery filling, you might want to go for a thicker sauce so that it doesn’t make the final dish too runny.
- The Color of Your Chicken Pot Pie Crust: Finally, don’t forget about aesthetics! The color of your chicken pot pie crust can also influence your decision when it comes to choosing a sauce. For example, if you’re using a white pie crust, you might want to avoid dark sauces so that they don’t stain the crust (unless, of course, you’re going for that rustic look). Alternatively, if you’re using a dark brown or black pie crust, light-colored sauces might provide contrast and make for a more visually appealing dish.
With that said, here are 11 of the best sauces for chicken pot pie:
1. Brown Gravy
Brown gravy is my favorite type of gravy and it goes so well with chicken pot pie.
The gravy is thick and creamy and has a rich flavor that really enhances the pot pie.
I like to make my own gravy from scratch, but you can also use store-bought gravy as well.
Just be sure to heat it up before serving so that it is nice and warm.
2. Lemon Garlic Cream Sauce
Garlicky, lemony, and creamy, this lemon garlic cream sauce is the perfect addition to your chicken pot pie.
This unique sauce is made with heavy cream, garlic, lemon juice, and chicken broth.
It’s simmered until thickened and then spooned over the top of your pot pie.
The result is a flavorful and slightly tangy sauce that takes your pot pie to the next level.
This sauce is also great on other poultry dishes like roasted chicken or turkey.
Give it a try the next time you’re looking for something different to add to your pot pie recipe.
3. Cheese Sauce
As a cheese lover, I think chicken pot pie and cheese sauce were made for each other!
The savory, creamy sauce takes the classic comfort food to new heights.
It’s also super easy to make.
- Simply combine some milk, butter, and flour in a pot and cook until thickened.
- Then stir in your favorite shredded cheese. I like to use a mix of cheddar and Gruyere, but you can really use any type of cheese you like.
- Pour the sauce over your chicken pot pie and enjoy!
4. Tomato Sauce
I feel like tomato sauce goes with anything, but it’s a great compliment to chicken pot pie.
The thing with chicken pot pie is that it can be a little bland on its own, so the tomato sauce really livens it up.
Not to mention, the two colors look great together!
The sauce also helps to keep the chicken pot pie moist, which is always a bonus.
I like to use a jar of pre-made tomato sauce for this dish, but you could definitely make your own from scratch if you’re feeling ambitious.
5. Alfredo Sauce
Alfredo sauce is thick, creamy, and full of flavor, making it the perfect sauce to pair with chicken pot pie.
This classic Italian sauce is made with butter, cream, garlic, and Parmesan cheese, and it’s absolutely delicious.
Alfredo sauce is rich and decadent, and it really elevates the flavors of the chicken pot pie.
The creamy sauce pairs perfectly with the flaky crust and tender chicken filling, and it’s sure to be a hit with your family and friends.
If you’re feeling adventurous, you can even make your own Alfredo sauce at home.
Otherwise, you can find it in the pasta aisle of your local grocery store.
6. Pesto Sauce
Whether you like basil pesto, sun-dried tomato pesto, or even kale pesto, they all go great with chicken pot pie.
Pesto is a flavorful sauce made from blending herbs, nuts, and olive oil.
It’s the perfect topping for chicken pot pie because it adds a bright flavor to the dish.
The creaminess of the sauce pairs well with the flaky crust and tender chicken.
Plus, it’s an easy way to dress up your pot pie without having to make a complicated sauce.
7. BBQ Sauce
BBQ sauce needs no introduction. It is a classic sauce that goes with so many things, including chicken pot pie.
This particular sauce is the perfect addition to chicken pot pie because it adds a touch of sweetness and acidity that complements the savory flavors of the pie perfectly.
It also gives the pie a bit of extra moisture, which is always welcome in a pot pie.
So, if you are looking for a delicious and easy way to take your chicken pot pie to the next level, reach for the BBQ sauce!
8. Hot Sauce
Why not add a little kick to your chicken pot pie with some hot sauce?
Hot sauce is the perfect addition to this homey dish because it can really liven things up.
The heat from the hot sauce will balance out the creamy, savory filling and the flaky crust.
And, if you want to really take things up a notch, you can even add some hot sauce to the crust itself for an extra zing.
Just be careful not to go overboard with the hot sauce, start with a little bit and then add more to taste.
9. Soy Sauce
Soy sauce is easily found in most pantries and it is a perfect sauce to use for chicken pot pie.
Soy sauce is a great way to add some extra flavor to the dish without overpowering the other flavors.
It also helps to give the pot pie a nice, dark color that makes it look more appetizing.
When using soy sauce, be sure not to add too much as it can make the dish quite salty.
A little goes a long way with this particular sauce.
10. Teriyaki Sauce
You could also try something unique, like a teriyaki sauce.
Teriyaki sauce is a perfect accompaniment for chicken pot pie because it has a sweet and savory flavor that goes well with the creamy filling and flaky crust of the pie.
Plus, the sauce is easy to find and can be used in other dishes as well.
Just be careful not to use too much teriyaki sauce, as it can overpower the other flavors in the dish.
And lastly, if you have a sweet tooth or are feeding young children, a honey sauce is the perfect addition to chicken pot pie.
Honey has a natural sweetness to it that can really enhance the flavors in chicken pot pie.
The sauce is also incredibly easy to make.
You simply take some honey and mix it with a little bit of water until it forms a smooth consistency.
Then, you pour it over your chicken pot pie and enjoy!
What Sauce Goes with Chicken Pot Pie? (11 Best Sauces)
- Brown Gravy
- Lemon Garlic Cream Sauce
- Cheese Sauce
- Tomato Sauce
- Alfredo Sauce
- Pesto Sauce
- BBQ Sauce
- Hot Sauce
- Soy Sauce
- Teriyaki Sauce
- Pick your favorite sauce from this list to use with your chicken pot pie.
- Prepare the ingredients according to the recipe.
- Enjoy in no time!