When it comes to soul food, nothing quite compares to chicken and waffles.
The classic combination of fluffy waffles, crunchy fried chicken, and a drizzle of maple syrup is a staple for many Americans.
But what if you want to add a little something extra to your plate?
Here, I have compiled 12 spectacular sauces for chicken and waffles that will take your dish to the next level.
From sweet to savory, these sauces will make you rethink the traditional combination and create something entirely new and indulgent.
So, whether you’re in the mood for something sweet or spicy, I have a sauce for chicken and waffles to suit every palate.
12 Sauces for Chicken and Waffles
Finding the right chicken and waffles sauce can be tricky.
Here are 12 sauces that will take your chicken and waffle game to the next level:
Nobody can deny how delicious the classic combination of chicken and waffles is, but why not take it up a notch with a homemade Maple Bourbon Barbecue Sauce?
This sauce is an easy mix of tomato sauce, tomato paste, apple cider vinegar, spicy brown mustard, molasses, maple syrup, and vegan Worcestershire sauce.
You can also add in some liquid smoke for smokiness and ground cayenne pepper for spice.
Finally – the kicker – 3 tablespoons of bourbon will give this already flavorful sauce an extra kick!
2. Kicky Syrup
Can you really go wrong with a kicky syrup?
This recipe gives you the classic chicken and waffles dish with an added spicy kick.
- To make it, just combine maple syrup, Sriracha chili sauce, soy sauce and flour in a medium bowl and mix until combined.
- In another bowl, whisk together egg, cornflakes, panko and seasonings.
- Dip chicken thighs (or breast) into egg mixture then coat with cornflake mixture; place on a plate or baking sheet.
- Heat butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat; add chicken cutlets to pan; cook 3 minutes per side or until golden brown.
- Serve immediately over waffles garnished with green onions and drizzled with kicky syrup!
Pro Tip: If you want to tone down the spice level a bit, reduce the amount of Sriracha chili sauce used in your kicky syrup.
3. White Gravy
In a matter of minutes, you can create a delicious white gravy to elevate your dish.
- To make it, melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat until melted.
- Add the flour and whisk for 1 minute or until light golden brown.
- Gradually add the milk, whisking constantly until smooth.
- Bring to a simmer, season with salt and pepper then cook stirring occasionally for 4 minutes or until thickened.
- Taste, adjust seasoning if needed and you’re done!
This creamy white gravy pairs perfectly with the classic chicken and waffles recipe – try it out!
Get ready to drizzle your chicken and waffles with something special!
This Honey Hot Sauce is just what you need to take your soul food classic up a notch.
To make it, simply mix together ¼ cup honey, ¾ teaspoon cayenne pepper, 1 tablespoon smoked paprika, ¼ cup melted butter, ½ tsp garlic powder and ¼ tsp kosher salt.
The sweet honey combined with the smoky paprika and the kick of heat from the cayenne creates a sauce that’s full of flavor.
If you’re feeling adventurous, add more cayenne for an extra spicy kick!
A twist on the traditional, this Spicy Maple Sauce is the perfect addition to your soul food plate.
- All you have to do is melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat and whisk together maple syrup, sriracha sauce, and soy sauce until combined.
- Let it simmer for 10 minutes or until thickened.
- Once it’s done, drizzle it over your chicken and waffles for added flavor!
You can even try adding other spices like cayenne pepper or paprika for an extra kick.
6. Maple Gravy
Whipped up with just a few simple ingredients, maple gravy is the perfect condiment to take your chicken and waffles to the next level.
- To make it, start by melting butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- When it’s melted, whisk in the flour until lightly browned.
- Next, add turkey stock and seasonings to create a thick sauce.
- Lastly, stir in the maple syrup and bourbon – this will give your gravy an amazing depth of flavor!
Serve warm over your favorite soul food dish.
Sweet and tangy with a kick of heat, this honey sriracha sauce is the perfect addition to your traditional chicken and waffles.
All you need to do is mix all the ingredients together in a bowl and whisk until fully combined.
If you want it spicier, add extra sriracha; if you want it sweeter, add more honey!
Not only does this sauce work great on chicken and waffles but also try it on some fried or baked chicken wings or as a dip for sweet potato fries.
Pro Tip: Make sure to refrigerate any leftover sauce in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Super sweet and tangy, this strawberry sauce is sure to take your meal to the next level.
- To make it, simply combine the rinsed and hulled strawberries, sugar and lemon juice in a medium-sized pot over medium heat.
- Stirring occasionally until simmering, cook for about 20 minutes until thickened.
- Let cool before serving over your favorite chicken and waffle dish.
Pro Tip: If you’d like an even sweeter flavor, add a bit more sugar or honey!
Chocolate sauce needs no introduction.
It’s creamy, it’s sweet, and it pairs perfectly with the savory crunch of chicken and waffles.
- To make this delicious sauce, all you need to do is mix together cocoa powder, sugar, salt and water in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir the mixture until everything has dissolved and let the pot simmer for 5-6 minutes until thickened.
- Take off the heat and stir in your vanilla extract before serving!
This chocolatey goodness will take your soul food game up another notch – just be sure not to pour too much on!
This hot spiced syrup is an awesome way to add a little extra kick to your dish.
All you need is maple syrup, salt, cayenne pepper, and paprika.
Mix them all together in a saucepan over low heat until the spices are fully incorporated and the syrup has thickened slightly.
Drizzle as much as you’d like over your plate for some extra spicy-sweet flavor!
Pro Tip: If you want to take it up another notch, try adding some minced garlic or chili flakes into the mix.
Flavored simple syrup is a great way to add a unique and flavorful twist to your recipe.
My favorite is this honey ginger simple syrup – it’s super easy to make, with only three ingredients!
- Just mix the honey, water, and chopped ginger in a small saucepan over medium heat until fully combined.
- Let cool for 15 minutes before serving.
The sweetness of the honey pairs perfectly with the spicy kick of the ginger for an unbeatable combination that will take your soul food dish from classic to extraordinary.
Sriracha Honey Sauce is the perfect accompaniment for chicken and waffles due to its unique blend of spicy and sweet flavors. The combination of the crispy waffles, savory chicken thighs, and the tangy Sriracha Honey Sauce creates a mouthwatering dish that is sure to satisfy your taste buds.
- To start, you will need a waffle iron, which is an essential tool for making crispy waffles. If you don’t already have one, add it to your shopping list along with the other necessary ingredients. For the chicken, you will need chicken thighs, which are ideal for this recipe due to their tenderness and rich flavor.
- Begin by seasoning the chicken thighs with a teaspoon of salt and a teaspoon of paprika.
- Then, preheat a skillet over medium-high heat and add the chicken.
- Cook the chicken for about 5-6 minutes on each side, or until it is cooked through.
- While the chicken is cooking, mix together the Sriracha Honey Sauce in a mixing bowl. To make the sauce, combine equal parts Sriracha sauce and honey, and mix well.
- Add a teaspoon of baking soda to the mixture to give it a thicker consistency.
- Once the chicken is cooked, remove it from the skillet and place it on a plate.
- Using the same skillet, pour the Sriracha Honey Sauce over the chicken and let it simmer for a few minutes until it thickens.
- Finally, it’s time to make the waffles. Follow the instructions on your waffle iron to make crispy, golden waffles.
- Once the waffles are done, top them with the chicken and drizzle with the Sriracha Honey Sauce.
Why have chicken and waffles become so popular in recent years?
Chicken and waffles have been a beloved dish for decades, but their popularity has surged in recent years as more people discover the delicious combination of sweet and savory flavors.
What’s the best way to fry chicken for this dish?
To make crispy, flavorful fried chicken for chicken and waffles, season bone-in chicken with a teaspoon salt and a teaspoon paprika, and then coat it in a mixture of flour and baking powder. Fry in hot oil until golden brown and cooked through.
How can you make fluffy waffles for chicken and waffles?
To make fluffy waffles, use a waffle recipe that includes baking powder and a teaspoon baking soda to help them rise. Beat the egg whites separately and fold them into the batter for added airiness.
Can you make chicken and waffles without a waffle iron?
If you don’t have a waffle iron, you can still enjoy chicken and waffles by using pre-made waffles or making a waffle batter and cooking it in a pan like a pancake.
What are some creative variations on traditional chicken and waffles?
There are many creative ways to put a spin on traditional chicken and waffles. You could try using different flours or batters for the chicken, adding herbs or spices to the waffle batter, or topping your dish with unique sauces or products.
How do different sauces complement different styles of chicken and waffles?
Different sauces can complement different styles of chicken and waffles by either adding a sweet or spicy kick, or by balancing out the flavors of the dish. For example, a maple syrup-based sauce can add sweetness to a spicy chicken dish.
What are some vegan or vegetarian options for chicken and waffles?
For those following a vegan or vegetarian diet, there are many meat alternatives that can be used in place of chicken, such as tofu or seitan. You could also try substituting chicken with vegetables or beans.
How can you make a waffle recipe that’s both sweet and savory?
To make a waffle recipe that’s both sweet and savory, add ingredients like cheese, herbs, or spices to your waffle batter. You can also experiment with unique toppings and sauces to balance out the sweetness and saltiness of the dish.
Is it better to use boneless or bone-in chicken for this dish?
Whether to use boneless or bone-in chicken for your chicken and waffles is a matter of personal preference. Bone-in chicken can add extra flavor and tenderness to the dish, while boneless chicken may be easier to eat and cook evenly.
How can you make chicken and waffles healthier without sacrificing flavor?
To make a healthier version of chicken and waffles without sacrificing flavor, try using whole wheat flour for the waffles, baking the chicken instead of frying it, or using a lower-fat buttermilk batter.
What are some tips for balancing the sweetness of waffles with the saltiness of fried chicken?
To balance the sweetness of waffles with the saltiness of fried chicken, try using a spicy or tangy sauce on the chicken, or adding herbs or spices to the waffle batter to counteract the sweetness. You could also experiment with different products to add unique flavor and texture to your dish.
How can you make your own signature sauce for chicken and waffles?
To make your own signature sauce, start with a base of either sweet or savory flavors and experiment with adding different spices, herbs, or products to create a unique and delicious sauce that complements your chicken and waffles perfectly.
- 13 Delicious Sauces for Chicken Stir Fry
- 13 Tastebud-Tingling Sauces for Beef Stir Fry
- 17 Delicious Fondue Sauces for Any Occasion
- 15 Easy Sauces for Wraps That You Must Try
- 23 Easy Sauces for Grilled Chicken to Try Tonight
11 Sauces for Chicken and Waffles You Must Try
- Maple Bourbon Barbecue Sauce
- Kicky Syrup
- White Gravy
- Honey Hot Sauce
- Spicy Maple Sauce
- Maple Gravy
- Honey Sriracha Sauce
- Strawberry Sauce
- Chocolate Sauce
- Spicy Maple Syrup
- Honey Ginger Simple Syrup
- Pick your favorite sauce from this collection.
- Prepare all of the required ingredients.
- Make your sauce in just 10 minutes or less.