Chicken and potatoes are a classic combination that can be found in many cuisines around the world.
Whether you’re looking for something savory, spicy, or sweet, there’s a sauce out there to satisfy your cravings.
But how do you know which sauces will pair best with these two ingredients?
In this article, I’ll be sharing five of the best sauces for chicken and potatoes so that you can whip up delicious meals without having to guess.
Why Use A Sauce for Chicken And Potatoes?
- To add flavor: A sauce can be used to enhance the flavor of chicken and potatoes. For example, a creamy garlic sauce can bring out the natural flavors of both ingredients while adding a delicious garlicky kick.
- To keep food moist: Sauces are great for keeping food from drying out during cooking or baking. When added to chicken and potatoes, they help keep them juicy and tender throughout the cooking process.
- To create an attractive presentation: A flavorful sauce can also make your dish look more appealing on the plate by providing color contrast and texture variation that will draw people in before they even take their first bite!
The 5 Best Sauces for Chicken And Potatoes
Chicken and potatoes are a classic combination, but it can sometimes be difficult to find the perfect sauce to bring out the flavors of both ingredients.
Here are five sauces that pair perfectly with chicken and potatoes, each bringing their own unique flavor:
1. Dijon Cream Sauce
Dijon Cream Sauce is a creamy, tangy sauce made with Dijon mustard, shallots, garlic, butter, white wine or lemon juice and heavy cream.
It’s a delicious accompaniment to chicken and potatoes as well as other proteins and vegetables.
- To Make It: To make the sauce, start by melting the butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the minced shallot and garlic and cook until softened but not browned. Pour in the white wine or lemon juice and simmer for 1 minute before adding the Dijon mustard. Whisk together until combined then add the heavy cream and salt to taste. Simmer for 2-3 minutes until thickened then remove from heat.
- Substitutions: If you don’t have any white wine on hand you can substitute it with an equal amount of dry vermouth or sherry instead. You can also use apple cider vinegar instead of lemon juice if desired.
- Common Uses: This creamy sauce pairs perfectly with roasted chicken or pan-seared salmon fillets served alongside mashed potatoes or roasted vegetables like Brussels sprouts or carrots. It’s also great drizzled over grilled steak sandwiches or used as a dip for French fries!
2. Garlic Parmesan Cream Sauce
Garlic Parmesan cream sauce is a creamy, savory sauce made with garlic, butter, heavy cream, and Parmesan cheese.
It’s a simple yet flavorful sauce that can be used to enhance the flavor of many dishes.
- To Make It: To make garlic Parmesan cream sauce, start by melting butter in a pan over medium heat. Add minced garlic and cook until fragrant. Then add heavy cream and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low and stir in grated Parmesan cheese until melted and combined. Simmer for 5 minutes or until thickened slightly before serving.
- Substitutions: If you don’t have heavy cream on hand, you can substitute it with half-and-half or whole milk instead. You can also use other types of cheese such as cheddar or Gruyere if you don’t have any Parmesan on hand.
- Common Uses: Garlic Parmesan cream sauce is commonly served over pasta dishes like fettuccine Alfredo or chicken parmesan but it can also be used as a dip for vegetables or breadsticks, poured over roasted vegetables like broccoli or cauliflower, drizzled over pizza slices, stirred into mashed potatoes for extra flavor, or even used as an ingredient in macaroni and cheese recipes!
3. Tomato Sauce For Chicken and Potatoes
Tomato sauce is a thick, red sauce made from tomatoes, garlic, herbs and spices.
It is often used as a base for other sauces or as an accompaniment to pasta dishes.
- To Make It: To make tomato sauce, start by sautéing onions and garlic in olive oil until they are softened. Then add canned tomatoes (or fresh if you have them) and simmer the mixture for about 20 minutes until it has reduced slightly. Add herbs such as oregano, basil or thyme and season with salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for another 10 minutes before blending the mixture into a smooth sauce using an immersion blender or food processor.
- Substitutions: If you don’t have any canned tomatoes on hand, you can substitute diced fresh tomatoes instead. You can also use tomato paste instead of canned tomatoes; just be sure to dilute it with some water before adding it to the pan so that it doesn’t burn or stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Common Uses: Tomato sauce is commonly used as a base for pizza sauces, lasagna fillings, spaghetti bolognese and many other Italian-style dishes. It’s also great served over grilled meats like chicken breasts or pork chops, roasted vegetables like eggplant parmesan or zucchini boats, and even scrambled eggs!
4. White Wine Lemon Caper Sauce
White Wine Lemon Caper Sauce is a creamy, tangy sauce made with white wine, lemon juice, heavy cream, parmesan cheese and capers.
It’s a delicious accompaniment to chicken and potatoes and can be used as a dip or spread for sandwiches.
- To Make It: To make the sauce, combine 1 cup of white wine with ¼ cup of lemon juice in a small saucepan over medium heat. Simmer until reduced by half. Add 1 cup of heavy cream (room temperature) and bring to a simmer again. Reduce heat to low and add 1 cup of freshly grated parmesan cheese and 2 tablespoons of drained capers. Stir until the cheese has melted completely into the sauce. Serve warm over your favorite dishes!
- Substitutions: If you don’t have access to white wine or lemon juice, you can substitute them with equal amounts of dry sherry or apple cider vinegar respectively. You can also use any type of hard cheese instead of parmesan if desired; just keep in mind that it will affect the flavor slightly.
- Common Uses: White Wine Lemon Caper Sauce is commonly served over chicken dishes such as Chicken Parmesan or Roasted Chicken Thighs with A Baked Potato & Onions; it’s also great on fish like Salmon Fillets or Halibut Steaks. The sauce is also delicious when used as a dip for vegetables like roasted Brussels sprouts or steamed broccoli florets; it’s even tasty when spread onto sandwiches!
5. Honey Mustard Sauce (Great For Chicken Thighs)
Honey mustard sauce is a condiment made from honey, mustard, and other ingredients.
It is typically used as a dip for chicken tenders or nuggets, but can also be used as a dressing for salads or sandwiches.
- To Make It: To make honey mustard sauce at home, combine equal parts of Dijon mustard and mayonnaise with 1-2 tablespoons of honey. For extra flavor, add some minced garlic, chicken broth, or onion powder to the mixture. Whisk all the ingredients together until they are well blended.
- Substitutions: If you don’t have any Dijon mustard on hand, you can substitute it with yellow or spicy brown mustard instead. You can also use Greek yogurt in place of mayonnaise if desired. Additionally, agave syrup or maple syrup can be used in place of honey if desired.
- Common Uses: Honey mustard sauce is commonly served alongside fried chicken tenders and nuggets as a dipping sauce; however it can also be used as a salad dressing or sandwich spread. Additionally, it makes an excellent marinade for grilled meats such as pork chops and chicken breasts.
In conclusion, chicken and potatoes is a classic combination that can be spiced up with the right sauce.
The best sauces for chicken and potatoes are Dijon cream sauce, garlic Parmesan cream sauce, tomato sauce, white wine sauce, and honey mustard sauce.
Each of these sauces can add a unique flavor to the dish, giving it a delicious twist.
By experimenting with these sauces, you can find the perfect combination that will make your chicken and potatoes dish a hit.
So, get creative and have fun with these sauces to create a delicious and unique meal.
The 5 Best Sauces for Chicken And Potatoes
- Dijon Cream Sauce
- Garlic Parmesan Cream Sauce
- Tomato Sauce
- White Wine Lemon Caper Sauce
- Honey Mustard Sauce
- Select your favorite recipe.
- Organize all the required ingredients.
- Prep a sauce recipe in 30 minutes or less!
Jenny has always been passionate about cooking, and she uses her platform to share her joy of food with others. Her recipes are easy to follow, and she loves giving tips and tricks to help others create their own unique culinary creations.