Fried egg sandwiches are a delicious and easy lunch or dinner option.
It’s just bread, an egg, and whatever toppings you want!
But if you are wondering what toppings to use, then you have come to the right place.
I’m sharing 25 of the most delicious fried egg sandwich toppings that you can use to customize your own unique sandwich creation.
You’ll find classic options like bacon, cheese, and avocado as well as some more unexpected toppings like pickles, jalapenos, and pesto.
So go ahead and get creative with your next fried egg sandwich!
Read Also: 25 Best Egg Sandwich Toppings
25 Delicious Fried Egg Sandwich Toppings
A fried egg sandwich can be a delicious and filling meal. But what if you want to spice it up?
Here are twenty-five tasty topping options that will make your fried egg sandwich even more delicious:
- Bacon: Crispy bacon adds an amazing crunch and smoky flavor to any fried egg sandwich, making it a favorite topping for many people all around the world! You can either fry or bake the bacon beforehand and then place the slices on top of the egg sandwich before serving warm.
- Cheese: One thing is certain when it comes to cheese – it makes everything better! On your fried egg sandwich, you’ll want something that will melt nicely such as cheddar, gruyere, provolone, fontina or even mozzarella (for a gooey effect). Spread some shredded cheese over one side of the bread and let it melt in between bites – delish!
- Avocado: Creamy avocado gives a delightful smoothness balanced with its salty taste while providing healthy fats to your delicious meal. Simply slice an avocado thinly and layer them onto your sandwich – there are no rules here so add as many pieces as you like!
- Tomato: An added freshness awaits you with each bite of a tomato-filled fried egg sandwich — especially if you use vine-ripened tomatoes which provide added sweetness instead of being too sour or acidic. Slice up thin wedges for maximum yumminess in every bite!
- Ham: Don’t rule out ham as another tasty topping option for your tasty breakfast indulgence! You can choose from pre-cooked smoked or prosciutto ham that adds saltiness along with subtle sweet notes from their wood smoke flavoring — just don’t forget those paper-thin slices — this dish needs delicate toppings!
- Sausage: Sausage is a great addition to any fried egg sandwich because it adds both protein and flavor. I prefer a spicy Italian sausage, which is pre-cooked and can be heated up quickly on the stovetop before adding it to your sandwich. The spiciness of the sausage pairs really nicely with the creamy texture of eggs.
- Onion: Onion gives an unmistakably delicious flavor to fried egg sandwiches – especially if you caramelize them first for added sweetness! You can either add thinly sliced raw onion or sautéed onions in butter before piling them onto your sandwich.
- Mushroom: I love mushrooms in my breakfast tacos, omelets, and even my fried egg sandwiches! They hold their own against rich ingredients like eggs and cheese while still giving off an earthy flavor that complements everything else on the plate perfectly. Sauteing mushrooms in some olive oil beforehand helps bring out their natural umami flavor even more.
- Spinach: Spinach doesn’t just have to live as a side salad item – try adding it into your breakfast recipes too! This leafy green wilts down when cooked (or lightly steamed) so there isn’t much fuss required here but plenty of added nutrition packed away inside each leaf. Get creative; use fresh spinach instead of lettuce or kale for a different take on the classic egg sandwich!
- Jalapeño: Jalapeños give fried eggs that extra kick that takes it from good enough to wowza! If you don’t like things too hot then start by just slicing one jalapeño pepper lengthwise and layering it onto your sandwich. For those who love spice, feel free to chop up the pepper and sauté it with other ingredients like mushrooms, onions, and garlic before adding it to the egg sandwich.
- Sriracha: For a spicy kick, add some sriracha to your fried egg sandwich. This condiment is made with chili peppers, garlic, sugar, and vinegar so it has an intense heat that will take your egg sandwich to the next level! It’s great mixed in with mayonnaise or dabbed on top of the cooked eggs before you close the sandwich.
- Tabasco: Another popular hot sauce to go with your fried egg sandwiches is tabasco! It’s made with red peppers and salt so it adds a really good flavor as well as heat making this a must for when you’re chasing after that extra boost of flavor in order to liven up breakfast time. A few dashes will spice up any dish including this classic comfort food meal!
- Chili Oil: Chili oil is an often-overlooked topping but it can easily become one of your favorites when you try it out on fried egg sandwiches because they simply couldn’t taste any better when combined together. When adding chili oil, make sure to balance out the spiciness by mixing it into something creamy or mild such as ricotta cheese or mayonnaise spread over two slices of thickly cut bread like sourdough or whole wheat toast so that every bite packs a punch without burning your tongue off.
- Chipotle Mayo: Chipotle mayo brings smokiness from chipotle peppers and sweetness from honey along with its creaminess which works perfectly on top of fried egg sandwiches especially if there’s also bacon involved since these two flavors pair so well together. Make your own chipotle mayo by combining mayonnaise, chipotle peppers, honey, garlic, and lime juice in a blender.
- Harissa: Harissa is a North African condiment made from chili peppers, garlic, olive oil, and spices and it has a unique flavor that pairs perfectly with fried egg sandwiches. It’s also great for adding a kick to other breakfast dishes like omelets and scrambles. To use, simply spread it over the egg sandwich or mix it into mayonnaise for an even more flavorful experience.
Sweet and Savory Toppings
- Honey: This sticky sweet condiment is one of my favorite additions to any fried egg sandwich. Its rich and slightly floral flavor pairs perfectly with the savory egg and other toppings, adding sweetness without being overpowering. For extra oomph, consider drizzling some clover honey on top of your sandwich- delicious!
- Maple Syrup: Flowing over freshly fried eggs just like a blanket for a bedside promise- there’s nothing quite like it. Pick up some maple syrup from your local store that isn’t too dark or too light (try Grade A/Medium Amber) for the best results in that balance between sweet and savory flavors!
- Apple Slices: Thinly sliced apples add an element of crunch and sweetness to your sandwich which makes it all the better! Switch things up by sprinkling some cinnamon on top before you put them into the hot skillet as they cook together-a true treat every time!
- Pear Slices: Another way to mix up your favorite go-to breakfast staple- pear slices give off a unique flavor paired with the richness from your choice of cheese and the creaminess from runny eggs! You can also try topping them off with some nuts beforehand if you’re feeling adventurous or even going so far as making it into a pizza slice-style creation…delish either way!
- Cinnamon: Last but not least, this warm spice undeniably helps tie all elements of flavor together in any old-school classic breakfast meal -fried egg sandwiches included! Sprinkle ground cinnamon over cooked eggs right after they’re removed from their pan then continue to mix with other ingredients of your choice for an unforgettable experience.
- Guacamole: This creamy and savory topping adds an irresistible tanginess to any fried egg sandwich. I recommend combining mashed avocado with diced jalapeños, tomatoes, onions, garlic, and lime juice for a zesty kick of flavor.
- Kimchi: An iconic staple in Korean cuisine, kimchi is the perfect topping when you crave something spicy. Made with fermented napa cabbage and various seasonings like chili powder and garlic, this popular condiment can provide your fried egg sandwich with a unique depth of flavor that you won’t find anywhere else!
- Pickled Onions: A bright splash of acidity on your fried egg sandwich? Yes, please! I suggest using red onions because they have more sweetness compared to white onions or shallots. Add pickling spices like dill seed or peppercorns for the ultimate culinary experience!
- Fried Chicken: Who says burgers have all the fun? Treat yourself by adding some extra crunchy protein by topping off your fried egg sandwich with crispy and juicy fried chicken nuggets or tenders!
- Grilled Pineapple: Elevate your breakfast sandwich game to new heights with thick rings of sweet grilled pineapple as your final topping touch – guaranteed to tantalize everyone’s taste buds!
In conclusion, there are so many delicious toppings that can be used to make a fried egg sandwich truly special. From savory bacon to sweet honey and grilled pineapple, there is something for everyone.
The best toppings for a fried egg sandwich include bacon, cheese, avocado, tomato, ham, sausage, onion, mushroom, spinach, jalapeño, sriracha, tabasco, chili oil, chipotle mayo, harissa, honey, maple syrup, apple slices, pear slices, cinnamon, guacamole, kimchi, pickled onions, fried chicken, and grilled pineapple.
These toppings are all delicious, flavorful, and sure to make your fried egg sandwich stand out. So get creative and have fun experimenting with different combinations to find the perfect combination for you!
25 Delicious Fried Egg Sandwich Toppings
- Chili Oil
- Chipotle Mayo
- Maple Syrup
- Apple Slices
- Pear Slices
- Pickled Onions
- Fried Chicken
- Grilled Pineapple
- Select your favorite toppings from this article.
- Prepare the toppings according to your preference.
- Prep your sandwich in 30 minutes or less.
Jenny has always been passionate about cooking, and she uses her platform to share her joy of food with others. Her recipes are easy to follow, and she loves giving tips and tricks to help others create their own unique culinary creations.