Fried polenta is a delicious side dish that can be served with almost any meal.
But if you are looking to upgrade your fried polenta, then you’ll need the perfect toppings.
That’s why I’m sharing over 35 of the most amazing fried polenta toppings.
With these creative topping combinations, you can turn a simple side dish into an exciting and flavorful meal.
From creamy sauces to fresh veggies, there is something for everyone.
So get ready to spice up your fried polenta with some of my favorite toppings!
35 Amazing Fried Polenta Toppings
Fried polenta is a delicious, easy-to-make dish that can be topped with almost anything.
From cheese to meat to vegetables, here are 35 amazing toppings that will take your fried polenta to the next level:
- Bacon and Egg: A classic combination of crispy bacon and perfectly poached egg, this topping brings out the cozy flavors of fried polenta.
- Pulled Pork: Slow-cooked pulled pork is an excellent way to top off a plate of fried polenta for a hearty meal. The smoky pork adds depth that pairs well with the comforting texture of polenta.
- Meatballs and Marinara Sauce: Combining savory Italian-style meatballs with a hot marinara sauce can add some extra flavor to your fried polenta dish. You can mix in some freshly cut basil or oregano on top for extra color and fragrance!
- Chili Con Carne: This earthy, spicy Mexican dish has become a staple all around the world, but it goes especially great with fried-up slices of golden polenta placed underneath it! Add some jalapeno peppers if you like things spicy!
- Beef and Mushroom Ragù: Rich beef ragù enhanced by plenty of mushrooms makes an amazing topping for any slice of crunchy-outside yet chewy center cornmeal goodness that is deep fryer polished off with brightened-up topped-off cheese sliverage remains simply divine and includes everything you need in one tasty bite!
- Roasted Garlic and Cherry Tomatoes: A classic combination, roasted garlic brings out a mild sweetness that pairs incredibly with sweet tomatoes. Plus, the tomatoes add an extra juicy burst to every bite of your fried polenta!
- Sautéed Spinach and Garlic: An easy and flavorful topping for fried polenta, sautéed spinach adds texture and vivid color while the garlicky flavor lingers in every bite.
- Grilled Zucchini and Eggplant: For some smokiness on top of your fried polenta dish, grilled zucchini, and eggplant will provide a hearty contrast to the creamy polenta base. And bonus points if you have any leftover vegetables to use up!
- Roasted Red Peppers and Feta: The salty yet creamy feta cheese atop freshly-roasted red peppers creates an amazing balance between a crunchy exterior and soft interior inside each piece of fried polenta you create.
- Mushroom and Truffle Oil: Savory mushrooms poured over silky truffle oil make for one irresistible topping for your fried polenta – it’s almost like eating mushroom risotto but with much more crunch!
- Mozzarella and Basil: Topping your fried polenta with fresh mozzarella and fragrant basil is a combination that will have all of your guests asking for more. The creamy texture of the cheese and the zest from the herbs create an irresistible bite.
- Blue Cheese and Walnuts: For a classic yet delicious topping to try, blue cheese pairs amazingly with walnuts on polenta. The salty, crunchy elements contrast well against the creamy polenta without overpowering it in any way.
- Parmesan and Prosciutto: Spice up your fried polenta with parmesan cheese, which has an intense flavor that works best when paired with slightly salty cured meat such as prosciutto or speck ham. This combination adds depth to each bite!
- Gouda and Caramelized Onions: Bring out the sweetness in caramelized onions when they are sprinkled atop melted gouda cheese over fried polenta—one tasty blessing it sure brings! Add some spice to this richly sweet taste by sprinkling chili flakes or ground pepper over top of everything if desired!
- Goat Cheese and Honey: If you’re looking for something unique but still mouth-wateringly delicious, goat cheese mixed into mashed potato (or alternative) consistency can be crowned off with honey drizzle for deep natural sweetness – the perfect version for those who love solvable good lookin’ appetizers like these samplings here!
- Shrimp and Avocado: For a seafood twist, top your fried polenta with succulent shrimp, sliced avocados, and crispy capers. The creamy avocado adds a rich flavor to the dish while the zesty capers freshen up each bite.
- Smoked Salmon and Cream Cheese: Rich cream cheese pairs perfectly with smoked salmon for an elevated fried polenta experience! Add some fresh herbs or fragrant spices to further enhance this topping combination.
- Tuna and Capers: For another light yet flavorful option, try tuna that’s been marinated in olive oil, lemon juice, and salt and topped with salty capers – perfect for adding depth of flavor without overpowering other toppings you may choose later on.
- Crab Cakes and Aioli: For something a bit more decadent, top off your fried polenta with plump crab cakes made from Atlantic blue crab meat accompanied by garlic-infused aioli for all the flavors of coastal living!
- Grilled Octopus and Lemon: If you want an international flair but don’t want to be weighed down after just one bite then tender grilled octopus paired with tart lemon wedges is sure to please any palate!
- Pesto and Roasted Cherry Tomatoes: Adding a swirl of pesto over fried polenta gives it an extra kick of flavor, while the sweetness from roasted cherry tomatoes balances it out nicely.
- Marinara and Mozzarella: This classic combination is hard to beat when added to crisp fried polenta for cheesy pull-apart bites with marinara sauce and gooey mozzarella melted throughout.
- Garlic Aioli and Lemon Zest: Freshen up your fried polenta with zesty lemon zest sprinkled atop garlic aioli drizzled on top! The sharpness of the citrus pairs exceptionally well with the richness of the garlic mayonnaise.
- Hollandaise and Poached Egg: An indulgent topping that oozes luxury, hollandaise sauce holds together perfectly draped poached eggs on top of golden fried polenta—you’ll never want breakfast without this treat ever again!
- Béchamel and Mushroom: Creamy béchamel sauce poured over sautéed mushrooms adds a delicious earthiness to every bite of your crisp fried polenta, making this menu favorite even more irresistible than before!
- Honey and cinnamon: Drizzle honey over the fried polenta and then sprinkle with ground cinnamon for a sweet treat!
- Nutella and strawberries: Spread Nutella over the top of freshly-fried polenta, followed by sliced fresh strawberries for a decadent dish.
- Maple syrup and bacon: Pour some delicious maple syrup over the golden fried polenta, then sprinkle on salty crumbled bacon for added flavor and texture contrast.
- Brown sugar and pecans: Sprinkle brown sugar over the top of warm fried polenta, followed by chopped toasted pecans pieces for added crunch.
- Whipped cream and mixed berries: Add a generous dollop of freshly whipped cream to the plate, topped with your favorite selection of summer berries or fruits such as blackberries, raspberries or blueberries!
Can Polenta Be Pan Fried?
Yes, it is possible to pan-fry polenta. This method has been used by Italian cooks for centuries and makes a delicious treat in almost any context. The key to success when frying polenta is to make sure the slices are thin enough that they become crisp on the outside while maintaining their creamy texture inside. A non-stick skillet and a small amount of oil can be used, but adding butter gives extra flavor.
Can You Fry Pre-Cooked Polenta?
Pre-cooked polenta can certainly be fried as it allows you to skip some steps like boiling or baking before frying. Depending on how thick your pre-cooked polenta pieces are, you may have to flatten them out with a rolling pin or mallet before frying them (this prevents them from curling up). To ensure maximum crispness and flavor, season both sides of each slice with salt and pepper before frying.
How Do You Fry Polenta Without Sticking?
The best way to avoid sticking when cooking polenta is to use a generous amount of oil or butter in your skillet over medium heat when pan-frying. To add extra insurance against sticking, coat your cubes lightly in cornmeal or flour prior to frying – this will yield an even crispier crust! Make sure not to overcrowd the skillet either; this will make flipping the cubs more difficult and increase the chances of them sticking together during cooking.
In conclusion, fried polenta is a delicious and versatile dish that can be served with a variety of tasty toppings.
From classic combinations such as bacon and egg and mozzarella and basil to more adventurous options like tuna and capers and maple syrup and bacon, there are plenty of options to choose from.
The best toppings for fried polenta include:
- Bacon and egg
- Pulled pork
- Meatballs and marinara sauce
- Chili con carne
- Beef and mushroom ragù
- Roasted garlic and cherry tomatoes
- Sautéed spinach and garlic
- Grilled zucchini and eggplant
- Roasted red peppers and feta
- Mushroom and truffle oil
- Mozzarella and basil
- Blue cheese and walnuts
- Parmesan and prosciutto
With all these amazing toppings, you’ll never run out of ideas for what to serve with fried polenta!
35 Amazing Fried Polenta Toppings
- Bacon and Egg
- Pulled Pork
- Meatballs and Marinara Sauce
- Chili Con Carne
- Beef and Mushroom Ragù
- Roasted Garlic and Cherry Tomatoes
- Sautéed Spinach and Garlic
- Grilled Zucchini and Eggplant
- Roasted Red Peppers and Feta
- Mushroom and Truffle Oil
- Mozzarella and Basil
- Blue Cheese and Walnuts
- Parmesan and Prosciutto
- Gouda and Caramelized Onions
- Goat Cheese and Honey
- Shrimp and Avocado
- Smoked Salmon and Cream Cheese
- Tuna and Capers
- Crab Cakes and Aioli
- Grilled Octopus and Lemon
- Pesto and Roasted Cherry Tomatoes
- Marinara and Mozzarella
- Garlic Aioli and Lemon Zest
- Hollandaise and Poached Egg
- Béchamel and Mushroom
- Honey and cinnamon
- Nutella and strawberries
- Maple syrup and bacon
- Brown sugar and pecans
- Whipped cream and mixed berries
- Select your favorite toppings from this article.
- Prepare the toppings according to your preference.
- Prep your fried polenta meal in 30 minutes or less.
Jenny has always been passionate about cooking, and she uses her platform to share her joy of food with others. Her recipes are easy to follow, and she loves giving tips and tricks to help others create their own unique culinary creations.