Looking for a way to take your cupcakes to the next level?
Look no further than these mouth-watering cupcake toppings.
Whether you’re a fan of chocolate cupcakes or prefer a classic vanilla flavor, these topping ideas are sure to add an extra layer of sweetness and flavor to your day.
From classic buttercream frosting to simple yet delicious fresh fruit, there’s a cupcake topping to suit every taste.
In this article, we’ll explore some of the best cupcake toppings around, as recommended by Houston Press and other news sources.
So grab a photo-worthy cupcake and let’s dive in to discover the perfect topping for your sweet treat.
5 Cupcake Topping Tips
If you’re new to the world of cupcake toppings, it can be overwhelming to choose the perfect one for your cupcake.
But don’t worry, we’ve got you covered with these five cupcake topping tips to help you create a delicious and Instagram-worthy treat.
- Consider the Cupcake Flavor: The topping you choose should complement the flavor of your cupcake. For example, if you’re making chocolate cupcakes, you might want to consider a topping like caramel or chocolate sauce to enhance the chocolate taste.
- Experiment with Different Textures: Texture is an important component of a good cupcake topping. Try adding a small amount of nuts or crushed cookies to your topping to add a crunchy element. Alternatively, you could opt for a smooth and creamy topping like buttercream frosting.
- Add Some Fresh Fruit: Adding fresh fruit to your cupcake topping not only enhances the taste but also adds a pop of color. Some great fruit options include strawberry, blueberry, and raspberry. Greek yogurt is also a great topping option that pairs well with fresh fruit.
- Keep It Simple: Sometimes, the simplest cupcake toppings are the best. A light dusting of powdered sugar or a drizzle of icing can be a sweet and elegant addition to your cupcake.
- Don’t Forget the Sweet Stuff: Candy pieces, chocolate drawings, and edible glitter are just a few examples of the many sweet toppings available for cupcakes. While it’s important not to go overboard, adding a small amount of these toppings can take your cupcake to the next level.
By following these cupcake topping tips, you’ll be sure to create a delicious and eye-catching treat that everyone will enjoy. So next time you’re in the mood to make cupcakes, don’t forget to experiment with different toppings to find your perfect combination.
20 Best Toppings For Cupcakes
Cupcakes are a delicious treat, but they can be even better with the right topping.
If you’re looking for some inspiration, here are twenty of the best cupcake toppings to choose from:
- Chocolate Drawings: For a unique and personalized touch, try adding hand-drawn designs in chocolate to your cupcakes.
- Greek Yogurt: This tangy and creamy topping pairs perfectly with fresh fruit.
- Fresh Fruit: Whether you prefer strawberries, blueberries, or raspberries, adding fresh fruit to your cupcake is a healthy and delicious way to enhance the flavor.
- Chocolate Sauce: Perfect for chocolate cupcakes, a drizzle of chocolate sauce adds an extra layer of decadence.
- Buttercream Frosting: A classic topping that is both creamy and sweet, buttercream frosting is a must-try for any cupcake lover.
- Whipped Cream: This light and airy topping is a great way to balance out the sweetness of your cupcake.
- Caramel Sauce: For a rich and indulgent topping, caramel sauce is the way to go.
- Sprinkles: Whether you’re looking for rainbow sprinkles or chocolate sprinkles, adding a sprinkle of fun to your cupcake is always a good idea.
- Crushed Cookies: For a crunchy and flavorful topping, try adding crushed cookies to your cupcake.
- Nuts: From chopped peanuts to slivered almonds, nuts add a satisfying crunch and flavor to any cupcake.
- Candy Pieces: From M&M’s to Reese’s Pieces, adding candy pieces to your cupcake is a fun and colorful way to mix things up.
- Marshmallows: For a gooey and delicious topping, try adding toasted marshmallows to your cupcake.
- Cream Cheese Frosting: Perfect for carrot cake cupcakes or red velvet cupcakes, cream cheese frosting is tangy, sweet, and creamy.
- Coconut Flakes: For a tropical twist, try adding coconut flakes to your cupcake.
- Chocolate Chips: From mini to regular-sized, chocolate chips are a classic and delicious cupcake topping.
- Fondant: For a more intricate and professional-looking cupcake, try using fondant to create custom designs.
- Edible Glitter: For a bit of sparkle and shine, edible glitter is a fun and whimsical topping option.
- Fruit Compote: For a sweeter and more flavorful topping, try adding a fruit compote to your cupcake.
- Meringue: Light and fluffy, meringue is a great way to add a bit of elegance to your cupcake.
- Ganache: A decadent and chocolatey topping, ganache is the perfect finishing touch for any chocolate cupcake.
My Favorite Combination: Chocolate Drawings + Greek Yogurt + Fresh Fruit + Chocolate Sauce
If you’re looking for a winning combination of cupcake toppings, look no further than chocolate drawings, Greek yogurt, fresh fruit, and chocolate sauce. This combination hits all the right notes – it’s sweet, creamy, and fruity all at once.
To start, create your own chocolate drawings by melting chocolate and using a piping bag to draw your favorite designs onto parchment paper. Once the chocolate has hardened, simply place the drawings on top of your cupcakes.
Next, add a dollop of tangy Greek yogurt to your cupcakes. This will add a creamy and slightly sour flavor that pairs perfectly with the sweetness of the chocolate and fruit.
For the fruit component, opt for fresh berries like strawberries or blueberries. Simply slice the fruit and arrange it on top of your cupcakes. This will add a pop of color and a burst of fruity flavor.
Finally, drizzle chocolate sauce over the top of your cupcakes. This will add an extra layer of indulgence and enhance the chocolate flavor.
What can I put on top of cupcakes instead of icing?
If you’re not a fan of traditional frosting, there are plenty of delicious alternatives to try. Some ideas include whipped cream, fresh fruit, crushed nuts, a dusting of powdered sugar, or even a drizzle of caramel or chocolate sauce.
How do you jazz up store bought cupcakes?
Store-bought cupcakes can be easily jazzed up with a few simple additions. Try adding your own homemade frosting, fresh fruit, candy pieces, or sprinkles to make the cupcakes your own. You can also experiment with different cupcake toppings like crushed cookies, whipped cream, or even a dollop of flavored yogurt.
What is a good substitute for frosting?
If you’re looking for a good substitute for traditional frosting, try using whipped cream, cream cheese, or even a simple glaze made from powdered sugar and milk. Other options include fresh fruit, chopped nuts, or a dusting of cocoa powder or cinnamon.
What are alternatives to buttercream frosting?
While buttercream frosting is a classic choice for cupcakes, there are plenty of alternatives to try. Cream cheese frosting is a tangy and delicious option that pairs well with carrot cake or red velvet cupcakes. Whipped cream frosting is light and fluffy, while ganache is a rich and decadent option for chocolate cupcakes. Other options include frosting made with marshmallow fluff or even a drizzle of caramel or chocolate sauce.
- 25 Best Gingerbread Cake Toppings (Gingerbread Cake Topping Ideas)
- 50 Best Fairy Cake Toppings: Find a Fairy Cake Topper for Your Cupcake
- 25 Best Banana Cake Toppings (Not Just Banana Frosting)
- 50 Best Carrot Cake Toppings: Find The Perfect Carrot Cake Topping
- 25 Best Sponge Cake Toppings: Find A Topping Beyond Icing For Your Recipe
- 15 Best Cassava Cake Toppings: Find Your Cassava Topping
- 30 Best Funnel Cake Toppings: Upgrade Your Funnel Cakes
- 60+ Best Rice Cake Toppings: Find Your Rice Cake Topping!
The 20 Best Cupcake Toppings
- Chocolate Drawings
- Greek Yogurt
- Fresh Fruit
- Chocolate Sauce
- Buttercream Frosting
- Whipped Cream
- Caramel Sauce
- Crushed Cookies
- Candy Pieces
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- Select your favorite toppings from this article.
- Organize all of the required ingredients.
- Prep a cupcake with toppings in 30 minutes or less.
Jenny has always been passionate about cooking, and she uses her platform to share her joy of food with others. Her recipes are easy to follow, and she loves giving tips and tricks to help others create their own unique culinary creations.