Funnel cakes are a beloved fair and carnival food that have been enjoyed for generations.
These deep-fried cakes are made by pouring a batter of flour, sugar, and baking powder through a funnel into hot oil, resulting in a crispy and airy treat.
While the main dish is delicious on its own, toppings are what really take homemade funnel cakes to the next level.
From classic powdered sugar to more elaborate flavoring sauces, there are endless topping options to make your funnel cakes truly stand out.
Whether you’re making funnel cakes at home using a recipe or buying them pre-made from a food vendor, the right toppings and case items can transform this reg lots into a mouth-watering dessert.
In this article, we’ll explore the 30 best funnel cake toppings to add to your recipe, including strawberry sauce, pie filling, whipped cream, and more.
Let’s get started!
30 Best Funnel Cake Toppings
Funnel cakes are a delicious treat, and there’s no better way to make them even more tasty than by adding the perfect topping.
From classic favorites like chocolate syrup and strawberries to more creative options such as crushed Oreos and peanut butter cups, here are 30 of the best funnel cake toppings that will take your desserts to the next level!
5 Easy Funnel Cake Toppings
When it comes to topping your funnel cakes, it doesn’t have to be complicated. Here are five easy toppings that you can make with just a few ingredients:
- Sprinkle powdered sugar over your funnel cake for a classic and simple topping.
- Ingredients: Powdered sugar, sifter or shaker.
- Make a quick and easy strawberry sauce by simmering fresh strawberries and sugar together until they form a thick, syrupy sauce.
- Ingredients: Fresh strawberries, sugar, water.
Cinnamon Sugar and Whipped Cream
- Combine cinnamon and sugar in a bowl and sprinkle over your funnel cake. Top with a dollop of whipped cream for a comforting and cozy flavor.
- Ingredients: Cinnamon, sugar, whipped cream.
Chocolate Chips and Whipped Cream
- Sprinkle chocolate chips or chunks over your funnel cake, then add a dollop of whipped cream for a decadent and indulgent treat.
- Ingredients: Chocolate chips or chunks, whipped cream.
- Drizzle honey over your funnel cake for a natural and light sweetness.
- Ingredients: Honey, squeeze bottle or small spoon.
These five toppings require minimal effort and ingredients, but they can transform your homemade funnel cakes into a delicious and satisfying dessert.
5 Classic Funnel Cake Toppings
If you’re a fan of traditional funnel cakes, you’ll want to try these classic toppings that have been around for decades:
- A dusting of powdered sugar is the most iconic and classic topping for funnel cakes.
- Ingredients: Powdered sugar, sifter or shaker.
- Similar to powdered sugar, cinnamon sugar adds a warm and cozy flavor to your funnel cakes.
- Ingredients: Cinnamon, sugar, mixing bowl.
- A drizzle of chocolate syrup on top of your funnel cake adds a rich and decadent flavor.
- Ingredients: Chocolate syrup, squeeze bottle or spoon.
- Drizzle caramel sauce over your funnel cake for a sweet and buttery flavor that pairs perfectly with the crispy cake.
- Ingredients: Caramel sauce, squeeze bottle or spoon.
- A dollop of whipped cream on top of your funnel cake adds a light and fluffy texture that balances out the crunchy cake.
- Ingredients: Heavy cream, sugar, mixer or whisk.
5 Fruit Toppings
If you’re looking to add some fresh and fruity flavors to your funnel cakes, try these five delicious fruit toppings:
- A handful of fresh berries, such as strawberries, blueberries, or raspberries, adds a burst of sweet and tangy flavor to your funnel cake.
- Ingredients: Fresh berries, knife.
- Soft and sweet sliced bananas are a classic topping that pairs well with caramel sauce or chocolate syrup.
- Ingredients: Bananas, knife.
- Pineapple adds a tropical and juicy twist to your funnel cake. Try it with whipped cream for a piña colada flavor.
- Ingredients: Pineapple chunks, can opener.
Peach or Apple Pie Filling
- A scoop of peach or apple pie filling on top of your funnel cake adds a warm and comforting flavor that’s perfect for fall.
- Ingredients: Peach or apple pie filling, spoon.
- Spread your favorite fruit preserves, such as raspberry or apricot, over your funnel cake for a sweet and sticky topping.
- Ingredients: Fruit preserves, knife or spoon.
These fruit toppings are a great way to add some fresh and healthy ingredients to your funnel cakes. Don’t be afraid to mix and match different fruits to create your own unique flavor combinations.
5 Nutty Toppings
If you’re a fan of nutty and crunchy toppings, these five options will add some texture and flavor to your funnel cakes:
- A spoonful of Nutella on top of your funnel cake adds a rich and chocolaty flavor that’s perfect for chocolate lovers.
- Ingredients: Nutella, spoon.
- Peanut butter adds a creamy and nutty flavor to your funnel cake. Try it with sliced bananas or chocolate syrup for a classic combination.
- Ingredients: Peanut butter, knife.
- Almonds, pecans, or walnuts add a crunchy texture and nutty flavor to your funnel cake. Toast them first for an extra depth of flavor.
- Ingredients: Nuts, knife, pan.
- Granola adds a crunchy and sweet topping that’s perfect for breakfast-inspired funnel cakes. Try it with sliced bananas or fruit preserves.
- Ingredients: Granola, bag.
- Toasted coconut flakes add a tropical and nutty flavor to your funnel cake. Try it with whipped cream or pineapple chunks for a piña colada-inspired dessert.
- Ingredients: Coconut flakes, pan.
5 Candy Toppings
For those with a sweet tooth, candy toppings are the perfect way to add some extra sweetness to your funnel cakes. Here are five candy toppings to try:
- Crushed Oreos or graham crackers add a crunchy and chocolatey topping to your funnel cake. Try it with whipped cream or chocolate syrup.
- Ingredients: Cookies, plastic bag, rolling pin.
Chocolate Chips or Chunks
- Sprinkle chocolate chips or chunks over your funnel cake for a rich and indulgent topping. Try it with whipped cream or caramel sauce for a decadent treat.
- Ingredients: Chocolate chips or chunks, spoon.
- Mini marshmallows add a sweet and chewy topping to your funnel cake. Toast them first for an extra layer of flavor.
- Ingredients: Mini marshmallows, spoon.
M&M’s or Reese’s Pieces
- These classic candy toppings add a colorful and sweet twist to your funnel cake. Try them with whipped cream or peanut butter for a classic combination.
- Ingredients: M&M’s or Reese’s Pieces, spoon.
Crushed Candy Canes
- Crushed candy canes add a minty and sweet flavor to your funnel cake. Try it with whipped cream or chocolate syrup for a festive treat.
- Ingredients: Candy canes, plastic bag, rolling pin.
5 Gourmet Toppings
If you’re looking to take your funnel cakes to the next level, these gourmet toppings will add a touch of sophistication and complexity to your dessert:
Cream Cheese Frosting
- Cream cheese frosting adds a tangy and sweet flavor to your funnel cake. Try it with fresh berries or fruit preserves for a fruity twist.
- Ingredients: Cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla extract, mixer or whisk.
Dulce de Leche
- Dulce de leche is a rich and caramel-like sauce that pairs perfectly with funnel cakes. Try it with whipped cream or chopped nuts for a decadent dessert.
- Ingredients: Dulce de leche, squeeze bottle or spoon.
- Lemon curd adds a bright and tangy flavor to your funnel cake. Try it with fresh berries or powdered sugar for a simple and refreshing topping.
- Ingredients: Lemon juice, sugar, butter, eggs, mixer or whisk.
- Balsamic glaze adds a savory and tangy flavor to your funnel cake. Try it with fresh berries or sliced peaches for a unique and unexpected twist.
- Ingredients: Balsamic vinegar, sugar, pan.
Brown Butter Drizzle
- Brown butter adds a nutty and rich flavor to your funnel cake. Try it with whipped cream or cinnamon sugar for a warm and comforting dessert.
- Ingredients: Butter, pan.
5 Savory Funnel Cake Toppings
Funnel cakes don’t always have to be sweet! These five savory toppings will give your funnel cakes a new twist:
Pulled Pork and BBQ Sauce
- Pulled pork and BBQ sauce add a smoky and tangy flavor to your funnel cake. Try it with coleslaw or pickles for a classic BBQ-inspired dish.
- Ingredients: Pulled pork, BBQ sauce, spoon.
Fried Chicken and Gravy
- Fried chicken and gravy on top of your funnel cake creates a savory and comforting dish that’s perfect for brunch or dinner.
- Ingredients: Fried chicken, gravy, spoon.
Bacon and Maple Syrup
- Bacon and maple syrup add a salty and sweet flavor to your funnel cake. Try it with a fried egg or sausage for a breakfast-inspired twist.
- Ingredients: Bacon, maple syrup, pan.
Chili and Cheese
- Chili and cheese on top of your funnel cake creates a hearty and satisfying meal that’s perfect for cold weather.
- Ingredients: Chili, cheese, spoon.
Buffalo Chicken and Blue Cheese
- Buffalo chicken and blue cheese on top of your funnel cake add a spicy and tangy flavor that’s perfect for game day or a party.
- Ingredients: Buffalo chicken, blue cheese, spoon.
Homemade Funnel Cake Recipe
Making homemade funnel cakes is easier than you might think! Here’s a simple recipe to help you make funnel cakes from scratch:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs, then add the milk and vanilla extract.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until a smooth batter forms.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a deep pan over medium-high heat.
- Pour the batter into a squeeze bottle or a homemade funnel made from a plastic bag.
- Squeeze the batter in a circular motion into the hot oil, frying until golden brown on both sides.
- Remove the funnel cake from the oil with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel.
- Dust with powdered sugar or top with your favorite toppings.
Making your own homemade funnel cakes allows you to customize your batter and control the quality of your ingredients.
With this simple recipe, you can make funnel cakes that are crispy, fluffy, and delicious every time.
Tips to Make Funnel Cake With Ease
Making funnel cakes is a fun and rewarding experience, but it can be tricky to get the perfect texture and flavor.
Here are some tips to help you make the perfect funnel cake:
- Use the right oil: Vegetable oil is the best oil for frying funnel cakes, as it has a high smoke point and a neutral flavor. Avoid using oils like olive oil, which have a low smoke point and strong flavor.
- Check the temperature: The temperature of the oil is crucial for getting a crispy and golden brown funnel cake. Use a thermometer to make sure the oil is at 375°F before frying.
- Make a homemade funnel: If you don’t have a funnel, you can make your own using a plastic bag. Cut a small hole in the corner of the bag and squeeze the batter through the hole into the oil.
- Don’t overcrowd the pan: Fry only one or two funnel cakes at a time to prevent them from sticking together or cooking unevenly.
- Serve immediately: Funnel cakes are best when served hot and crispy. Serve immediately after frying, and add toppings like whipped cream or powdered sugar just before serving.
What are the best toppings for funnel cake?
The best toppings for funnel cakes are often sweet and indulgent, such as powdered sugar, cinnamon sugar, chocolate syrup, caramel sauce, whipped cream, fresh berries, and ice cream. Other popular toppings include Nutella, peanut butter, candy pieces, sprinkles, and fruit preserves.
What toppings to put on a cake?
When it comes to cake toppings, the options are endless. Some classic choices include frosting, sprinkles, fresh fruit, chocolate chips, nuts, and whipped cream. Other unique options to try include edible flowers, candy pieces, crushed cookies, or even a drizzle of balsamic glaze.
Do you eat funnel cake hot or cold?
Funnel cakes are best enjoyed hot and fresh from the fryer. However, if you have leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container and reheat them in the oven or microwave. Just be aware that the texture may be slightly different when reheated.
What is the best oil for funnel cakes?
The best oil for funnel cakes is one with a high smoke point, such as vegetable oil or canola oil. These oils can withstand the high temperatures required for frying without breaking down or smoking. Avoid using oils with low smoke points, such as olive oil or butter, as they can burn and impart a bitter taste to the funnel cake.
What is a flavoring sauce, and how can I use it to top my funnel cake?
A flavoring sauce is a sauce that is added to a dish to enhance its flavor. For funnel cakes, flavoring sauces can be a delicious and unique way to add some extra flavor to your dessert. Flavoring sauces can range from chocolate or caramel to fruity and tangy sauces like raspberry or lemon.
To use a flavoring sauce on your funnel cake, simply drizzle it on top of your funnel cake, along with any other desired toppings like whipped cream or powdered sugar. Experiment with different flavoring sauces to find your perfect combination of flavors!
- 25 Best Gingerbread Cake Toppings (Gingerbread Cake Topping Ideas)
- 50 Best Fairy Cake Toppings: Find a Fairy Cake Topper for Your Cupcake
- 25 Best Banana Cake Toppings (Not Just Banana Frosting)
- 50 Best Carrot Cake Toppings: Find The Perfect Carrot Cake Topping
- 25 Best Sponge Cake Toppings: Find A Topping Beyond Icing For Your Recipe
- 15 Best Cassava Cake Toppings: Find Your Cassava Topping
- 60+ Best Rice Cake Toppings: Find Your Rice Cake Topping!
- 20 Best Cupcake Toppings (Toppings for Cupcakes Besides Frosting)
Funnel cakes are a delicious and fun dessert that you can make at home with just a few ingredients.
Whether you prefer classic toppings like powdered sugar or more adventurous options like balsamic glaze or pulled pork, there are endless possibilities when it comes to topping your funnel cake.
Don’t be afraid to get creative and try new flavor combinations.
With so many toppings to choose from, you can make your funnel cakes unique and special every time.
If you’re looking for a quick and easy topping, try one of the five easy toppings like powdered sugar, strawberry sauce, or whipped cream. For a fruity twist, add fresh berries or peach pie filling. Nut lovers can try toppings like Nutella or chopped nuts.
Candy lovers will enjoy crushed cookies or M&M’s on top of their funnel cakes. And for those who want to try something savory, there’s fried chicken and gravy or bacon and maple syrup.
No matter which toppings you choose, be sure to use high-quality ingredients and follow a trusted recipe for your homemade funnel cakes.
With the right technique and temperature, you can make delicious and crispy funnel cakes that are sure to impress your friends and family.
So go ahead and make your own homemade funnel cakes, experiment with different toppings, and enjoy this beloved main dish and dessert all in one!
The 30 Best Funnel Cake Toppings
- Powdered Sugar
- Strawberry Sauce
- Cinnamon Sugar and Whipped Cream
- Chocolate Chips and Whipped Cream
- Honey Drizzle
- Cinnamon Sugar
- Chocolate Syrup
- Caramel Sauce
- Whipped Cream
- Fresh Berries
- Sliced Bananas
- Pineapple Chunks
- Peach or Apple Pie Filling
- Fruit Preserves
- Peanut Butter
- Chopped Nuts
- Coconut Flakes
- Crushed Cookies
- Select your favorite toppings from this article.
- Organize all of the required ingredients.
- Prep a funnel cake with toppings in 30 minutes or less.
Jenny has always been passionate about cooking, and she uses her platform to share her joy of food with others. Her recipes are easy to follow, and she loves giving tips and tricks to help others create their own unique culinary creations.