Gingerbread cake is a delicious and popular dessert that many people enjoy, especially during the festive season of December and Christmas.
This classic cake is made with a combination of flour, molasses, brown sugar, baking soda, hot water, and spices such as ginger, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
To enhance the taste and appearance of gingerbread cake, a variety of toppings can be added.
Toppings such as icing, frosting, whipped cream, cream cheese frosting, caramel sauce, and chocolate ganache can be used to create a beautiful and flavorful cake.
With so many recipes and options to choose from, gingerbread cake toppings are a great way to make a home-baked cake more exciting and festive.
25 Best Gingerbread Cake Topping Ideas
Classic Gingerbread Cake Toppings
Classic Gingerbread Cake Toppings are those traditional toppings that have been used for many years and are still popular today. They are simple to make and are a great way to enhance the flavor of gingerbread cake.
Here are some classic gingerbread cake topping ideas:
- Whipped Cream: A dollop of whipped cream is a classic topping for gingerbread cake. To make whipped cream, beat cream with sugar and vanilla extract until soft peaks form.
- Cream Cheese Frosting: Cream cheese frosting is another classic topping that pairs well with gingerbread cake. To make cream cheese frosting, beat cream cheese and butter with powdered sugar and vanilla extract until smooth and creamy.
- Caramel Sauce: Caramel sauce is a sweet and rich topping that complements the spiciness of gingerbread cake. To make caramel sauce, cook sugar and butter in a saucepan until the sugar melts and turns golden brown. Then add cream and vanilla and stir until the mixture thickens.
- Powdered Sugar: A sprinkle of powdered sugar is a simple yet elegant topping for gingerbread cake. Dust powdered sugar over the top of the cake using a sieve.
- Chocolate Ganache: Chocolate ganache is a luxurious topping that adds richness to gingerbread cake. To make chocolate ganache, heat cream and pour over chopped chocolate. Stir until the chocolate is melted and smooth.
These classic gingerbread cake toppings are easy to make and can be used to decorate cakes for any occasion. They add flavor, texture, and visual appeal to the cake, making it a perfect dessert to serve to your guests or enjoy at home.
Fruits are a great way to add a burst of freshness and tang to the rich and spicy flavor of gingerbread cake.
- Lemon Curd: Lemon curd is a tangy and sweet topping that adds a bright flavor to gingerbread cake. To make lemon curd, whisk together egg yolks, sugar, lemon juice, and butter over low heat until the mixture thickens.
- Raspberry Sauce: Raspberry sauce is a fruity and tart topping that pairs well with gingerbread cake. To make raspberry sauce, puree raspberries with sugar and a splash of water in a blender, then strain the mixture through a sieve.
- Candied Citrus Peel: Candied citrus peel is a chewy and sweet topping that adds texture and flavor to gingerbread cake. To make candied citrus peel, simmer thinly sliced citrus peel in sugar syrup until the peel is tender and translucent.
- Strawberry Compote: Strawberry compote is a sweet and tangy topping that is perfect for summer. To make strawberry compote, cook strawberries with sugar and lemon juice until the mixture thickens and the strawberries are soft.
- Mango Salsa: Mango salsa is a fresh and tropical topping that adds a unique twist to gingerbread cake. To make mango salsa, chop mango, red onion, cilantro, and jalapeno pepper, and mix with lime juice and salt.
Nuts are a great way to add crunch and depth of flavor to gingerbread cake.
- Toasted Pecans: Toasted pecans are a classic nut topping that adds a buttery and rich flavor to gingerbread cake. To toast pecans, spread them in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake in the oven until fragrant and golden.
- Almond Brittle: Almond brittle is a crunchy and sweet topping that adds a caramelized nutty flavor to gingerbread cake. To make almond brittle, cook sugar and almonds in a saucepan until the sugar turns amber and the almonds are coated in caramel.
- Pistachio Cream: Pistachio cream is a smooth and nutty topping that adds a luxurious texture to gingerbread cake. To make pistachio cream, blend pistachios with heavy cream and sugar until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Hazelnut Praline: Hazelnut praline is a sweet and nutty topping that adds a crispy texture to gingerbread cake. To make hazelnut praline, cook sugar and hazelnuts in a saucepan until the sugar melts and turns golden brown, then spread the mixture on a baking sheet and let it cool.
- Walnut Crumble: Walnut crumble is a crumbly and nutty topping that adds a crunchy texture to gingerbread cake. To make walnut crumble, mix walnuts, butter, brown sugar, and flour in a bowl until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs, then bake in the oven until golden brown.
Spiced toppings are a great way to enhance the warm and spicy flavor of gingerbread cake.
- Cardamom Whipped Cream: Cardamom whipped cream is a fragrant and spiced topping that adds a unique flavor to gingerbread cake. To make cardamom whipped cream, beat cream with sugar and ground cardamom until soft peaks form.
- Cinnamon Buttercream: Cinnamon buttercream is a creamy and spiced topping that complements the spiciness of gingerbread cake. To make cinnamon buttercream, beat butter with powdered sugar and ground cinnamon until smooth and fluffy.
- Nutmeg Frosting: Nutmeg frosting is a spiced and creamy topping that adds warmth to gingerbread cake. To make nutmeg frosting, beat cream cheese with powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and ground nutmeg until smooth and creamy.
- Clove Caramel Sauce: Clove caramel sauce is a spiced and sweet topping that adds a unique flavor to gingerbread cake. To make clove caramel sauce, cook sugar, butter, and cloves in a saucepan until the sugar melts and turns golden brown, then add cream and stir until the mixture thickens.
- Star Anise Glaze: Star anise glaze is a spiced and aromatic topping that adds a complex flavor to gingerbread cake. To make star anise glaze, simmer star anise with sugar and water in a saucepan until the mixture thickens and the star anise flavor is infused.
Creative toppers are a great way to experiment and add a unique twist to traditional gingerbread cake.
- Candied Ginger: Candied ginger is a chewy and spicy topping that adds a zing to gingerbread cake. To make candied ginger, simmer thinly sliced ginger in sugar syrup until the ginger is tender and coated in sugar.
- Honeycomb: Honeycomb is a crunchy and sweet topping that adds a unique texture to gingerbread cake. To make honeycomb, cook sugar and honey in a saucepan until the mixture turns amber, then add baking soda and stir until the mixture foams and turns light.
- Apple Cider Reduction: Apple cider reduction is a tangy and sweet topping that pairs well with the spiciness of gingerbread cake. To make apple cider reduction, simmer apple cider in a saucepan until it reduces to a syrupy consistency.
- Maple Bacon Crumbles: Maple bacon crumbles are a salty and sweet topping that adds a savory element to gingerbread cake. To make maple bacon crumbles, cook bacon until crispy, then chop it and mix it with maple syrup and brown sugar.
- Earl Grey Tea Whipped Cream: Earl Grey tea whipped cream is a fragrant and sophisticated topping that adds a subtle tea flavor to gingerbread cake. To make Earl Grey tea whipped cream, steep Earl Grey tea in cream and sugar, then strain the mixture and beat the cream until soft peaks form.
What to serve with gingerbread cake?
Gingerbread cake pairs well with a variety of accompaniments. Some popular options include whipped cream, vanilla ice cream, or a drizzle of warm caramel sauce. For something more indulgent, consider serving it with a side of spiced apples or pears, or a cup of hot cocoa or spiced cider.
What is the difference between ginger cake and gingerbread cake?
The primary difference between ginger cake and gingerbread cake lies in the ingredients. Gingerbread cake is typically flavored with warm spices such as ginger, cinnamon, and cloves, as well as molasses. Ginger cake, on the other hand, relies mainly on the flavor of ginger spice, and usually does not contain molasses.
What is gingerbread frosting made of?
To make a simple gingerbread cookie icing, you’ll only need two ingredients (plus one optional ingredient): confectioners’ sugar and milk. The sugar provides the sweet base for the icing, while the milk is used to thin it out and help it bind together. For an extra touch of flavor, you can also add in some ginger or other spices to enhance the gingerbread flavor.
What icing goes with gingerbread cookies?
Cream cheese icing is a popular choice for topping gingerbread cookies. Its tangy and creamy flavor complements the spicy notes of the gingerbread perfectly. Other options include royal icing or a simple glaze made with powdered sugar and milk.
What are some good cheese frosting recipes for gingerbread cake?
There are many delicious cheese frosting recipes that pair well with gingerbread cake. Some popular recipes include cream cheese frosting with vanilla extract, brown sugar cream cheese frosting, or maple cream cheese frosting. You can find these recipes online or in baking cookbooks.
Where can I find a reliable gingerbread cake recipe?
You can find a reliable gingerbread cake recipe on various food blogs, baking websites, or in baking cookbooks. Be sure to look for a recipe that has good reviews and includes all the necessary ingredients and steps.
Can I substitute cream for milk in a gingerbread cake recipe?
Yes, you can substitute cream for milk in a gingerbread cake recipe. However, keep in mind that the texture and richness of the cake may be slightly different. Use the same amount of cream as you would milk and adjust the recipe as needed.
How can I make cream cheese frosting for gingerbread cake?
To make cream cheese frosting for gingerbread cake, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth and creamy. Then, gradually add powdered sugar and vanilla extract and continue to beat until the frosting is light and fluffy. Spread the frosting over the cooled gingerbread cake and enjoy!
- 50 Best Fruit Cake Toppings: Fruitcake Topping Ideas Beyond Icing
- 50 Best Fairy Cake Toppings: Find a Fairy Cake Topper for Your Cupcake
- 25 Best Banana Cake Toppings (Not Just Banana Frosting)
- 50 Best Carrot Cake Toppings: Find The Perfect Carrot Cake Topping
- 25 Best Sponge Cake Toppings: Find A Topping Beyond Icing For Your Recipe
- 15 Best Cassava Cake Toppings: Find Your Cassava Topping
- 30 Best Funnel Cake Toppings: Upgrade Your Funnel Cakes
- 60+ Best Rice Cake Toppings: Find Your Rice Cake Topping!
- 20 Best Cupcake Toppings (Toppings for Cupcakes Besides Frosting)
In conclusion, gingerbread cake is a classic dessert that is enjoyed by many, especially during the festive season of December and Christmas.
Toppings play a crucial role in enhancing the taste and appearance of gingerbread cake, and there are countless recipes and ideas to choose from.
Whether you prefer classic toppings like whipped cream and cream cheese frosting, fruity toppings like lemon curd and raspberry sauce, nutty toppings like toasted pecans and hazelnut praline, spiced toppings like cinnamon buttercream and clove caramel sauce, or creative toppings like honeycomb and maple bacon crumbles, there is a gingerbread cake topping out there for everyone.
With just a few simple ingredients, you can make a delicious gingerbread cake at home and experiment with different toppings to create a unique and personalized dessert.
So why not mix up a batter, add some spices, and bake a gingerbread cake today?
Your taste buds will thank you!
25 Best Gingerbread Cake Toppings
- Whipped Cream
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- Caramel Sauce
- Powdered Sugar
- Chocolate Ganache
- Lemon Curd
- Raspberry Sauce
- Candied Citrus Peel
- Strawberry Compote
- Toasted Pecans
- Select your favorite toppings from this article.
- Organize all of the required ingredients.
- Prep a gingerbread cake recipe in 40 minutes or less.
Jenny has always been passionate about cooking, and she uses her platform to share her joy of food with others. Her recipes are easy to follow, and she loves giving tips and tricks to help others create their own unique culinary creations.