Looking to take your cottage pie game to the next level?
We’ve got you covered with a collection of side dishes that will have you saying “move over, meat and potatoes” in no time.
We all know that the perfect meal is a balancing act, and there’s no better way to balance out a rich, meaty dish than with some fresh, tangy, or downright indulgent sides.
So whether you’re looking to impress your dinner guests or just add some excitement to your solo meals, keep reading for a list of side dishes that are sure to spice up your life (and your plate).
Because let’s face it – sometimes the best part of a meal is the company it keeps.
What To Serve With Cottage Pie – 25 Best Side Dishes
Cottage pie is a delicious, comforting dish that can be enjoyed all year round.
But what should you serve alongside it?
Here are twenty-five of the best side dishes to compliment your cottage pie:
Ah, starch – the food group that makes everything better. And when it comes to pairing with cottage pie, there’s no shortage of starchy side options to choose from.
So buckle up, folks, because these starchy side dishes are about to take your cottage pie experience to the next level.
- Roasted Potatoes: Forget about boring old mashed potatoes – roasted potatoes are the real star of the potato show. Crispy and golden brown on the outside, fluffy and tender on the inside, these spuds are the perfect companion to your hearty cottage pie.
- Garlic Bread: It’s a scientific fact that anything covered in garlic and butter is automatically 1000% better. And when you pair that garlicky goodness with a warm, buttery loaf of bread, you’ve got yourself a side dish that’s fit for a king (or queen, or non-binary monarch – we don’t discriminate here).
- Mashed Sweet Potatoes: If you’re looking to mix things up a bit, why not try swapping out your regular potatoes for some sweet potatoes? Not only are they a little bit healthier, but they also add a touch of sweetness to your meal that perfectly complements the savory flavors of cottage pie.
- Yorkshire Pudding: If you’re not familiar with this classic British side dish, you’re in for a real treat. Yorkshire pudding is made from a batter of eggs, flour, and milk, and is essentially a cross between a popover and a pancake. It’s light, fluffy, and perfect for soaking up all that delicious gravy.
- Baked Beans: Okay, hear us out on this one. Baked beans might not be the first thing that comes to mind when you think of side dishes, but trust us – they work. The sweetness of the beans pairs perfectly with the savory flavors of the cottage pie, and the texture adds a little bit of variety to your plate. Plus, who doesn’t love a good bean-based dish? It’s like a little musical number for your taste buds.
Whoever said that salads are boring clearly never tried the right ones.
And when it comes to pairing with cottage pie, a fresh and flavorful side salad is just what the doctor ordered.
So let’s dive in, shall we?
These side salads are about to change the way you look at leafy greens forever.
- Caesar Salad: You can never go wrong with a classic, and Caesar salad is about as classic as it gets. Crisp romaine lettuce, crunchy croutons, tangy dressing, and shaved parmesan cheese – the perfect contrast to the rich flavors of cottage pie. Plus, it’s practically a workout – all that chewing burns calories, right?
- Caprese Salad: If you’re in the mood for something a little lighter, you can’t go wrong with a Caprese salad. Made with ripe tomatoes, creamy mozzarella, and fragrant basil leaves, it’s like a little taste of Italy on your plate. Plus, it’s so pretty you’ll almost feel bad for eating it. Almost.
- Roasted Beet Salad: Okay, we know what you’re thinking – beets? Really? But trust us on this one. Roasted beets are sweet and earthy, and when paired with tangy goat cheese and crunchy walnuts, they make for a delicious and healthy side dish. Plus, the deep red color will make your plate look like a work of art.
- Greek Salad: If you’re looking for something refreshing and zesty, a Greek salad is just the ticket. Cucumber, tomato, feta cheese, olives, and a zesty lemon vinaigrette – it’s like a party in your mouth. And the best part? You can pretend you’re on a beach in Santorini instead of just sitting at your kitchen table.
- Spinach Salad: Last but certainly not least, we have the classic spinach salad. Fresh spinach leaves topped with crispy bacon, sliced mushrooms, and a warm bacon vinaigrette – need we say more? It’s like breakfast and lunch all rolled into one. Plus, you can pretend you’re being healthy because there are vegetables involved.
It’s time to give vegetables the love and attention they deserve.
And when it comes to pairing with cottage pie, veggie side dishes are a must-have.
Don’t worry, we’re not talking about steamed broccoli here (although if that’s your thing, go for it).
These veggie sides are anything but boring.
- Roasted Brussel Sprouts: Brussels sprouts used to have a bad rap, but we’re here to set the record straight – they’re delicious. When roasted, they become crispy and caramelized with a touch of sweetness and nuttiness. Trust us, your taste buds will thank you.
- Honey-Glazed Carrots: Sweet and tender roasted carrots with a sticky honey glaze – what’s not to love? This veggie side dish adds a touch of sweetness to your meal that perfectly complements the savory flavors of the cottage pie. Plus, it’s a great way to sneak in some extra vegetables without feeling like you’re eating something healthy.
- Grilled Asparagus: Lightly charred asparagus with a squeeze of lemon juice and a sprinkle of salt – it’s simple, but it works. Asparagus has a slightly nutty flavor that pairs well with the meaty flavors of the cottage pie. Plus, it’s a great way to feel fancy without having to put in too much effort.
- Creamed Spinach: Okay, we know what you’re thinking – creamed spinach sounds gross. But hear us out. This rich and creamy side dish is made with fresh spinach and a hint of nutmeg, and it’s like a warm hug in a bowl. Plus, you can pretend you’re Popeye and feel good about getting your daily dose of leafy greens.
- Broccoli and Cheese Casserole: Last but not least, we have the ultimate indulgent veggie side dish – broccoli and cheese casserole. Tender broccoli florets in a creamy, cheesy sauce, baked to perfection – it’s like a warm blanket for your taste buds. And who says you can’t have a little bit of cheese with your cottage pie? Not us.
Soups & Stews
Sometimes, you just want to cozy up with a warm bowl of soup or stew. And when you’re serving cottage pie, a hearty soup or stew is the perfect side dish. These soups and stews are like a warm hug for your taste buds.
- Tomato Soup: There’s nothing like a classic tomato soup to warm you up on a cold day. This comforting soup pairs well with the savory flavors of cottage pie and is the perfect way to sneak in some extra vegetables. Plus, you can dip your garlic bread in it and feel like a gourmet chef.
- French Onion Soup: A rich and flavorful soup made with caramelized onions, beef broth, and melted cheese – it’s like a hug in a bowl. The sweetness of the onions pairs perfectly with the savory flavors of the cottage pie, and the melted cheese on top is the icing on the cake (or the cheese on the soup, if you will).
- Beef Stew: If you’re looking for something hearty and filling, beef stew is the way to go. Tender beef, carrots, and potatoes simmered in a rich and flavorful broth – it’s the ultimate comfort food. Plus, you can pretend you’re a pioneer on the Oregon Trail and feel like you’re living your best life.
- Butternut Squash Soup: Sweet and creamy with a touch of spice – butternut squash soup is the perfect complement to the savory flavors of cottage pie. It’s like a little bit of fall in a bowl, and it’s a great way to get some extra vitamins in your diet. Plus, you can pretend you’re a fancy food blogger and Instagram your soup for all your followers to see.
- Clam Chowder: Last but not least, we have the ultimate seafood chowder – clam chowder. A rich and creamy soup filled with tender clams and potatoes, it’s like a little taste of the coast in every spoonful. It’s a great way to mix things up and add some variety to your meal. Plus, you can pretend you’re a sailor on the high seas and feel like a true adventurer.
Other Side Dishes
Let’s be real – sometimes you just want to shake things up a bit. And when it comes to pairing with cottage pie, there’s no shortage of unique and delicious side dishes to choose from. These other side dishes are anything but ordinary.
- Corn on the Cob: Sweet and juicy corn on the cob, boiled or grilled to perfection – it’s like a little bit of summer on your plate. The sweetness of the corn pairs well with the savory flavors of the cottage pie, and it’s a great way to add a pop of color to your meal. Plus, you can pretend you’re at a backyard barbecue and feel like you’re living your best life.
- Garlic Roasted Mushrooms: Tender and savory mushrooms roasted with garlic and thyme – it’s a match made in heaven. Mushrooms have a meaty flavor that pairs well with the rich flavors of the cottage pie, and the garlic and thyme add a little bit of extra oomph. Plus, you can pretend you’re a gourmet chef and feel like a true culinary genius.
- Grilled Shrimp Skewers: Juicy shrimp skewers with a spicy and tangy marinade – it’s like a little taste of the tropics. The sweetness of the shrimp pairs well with the savory flavors of the cottage pie, and the spice adds a little bit of extra flavor. Plus, you can pretend you’re on a beach in Hawaii and feel like you’re on vacation.
- Deviled Eggs: A classic appetizer that’s easy to make and always a crowd-pleaser. Deviled eggs are a great way to add some variety to your meal and get some extra protein in your diet. Plus, you can pretend you’re at a fancy cocktail party and feel like a social butterfly.
- Macaroni and Cheese: Last but certainly not least, we have the ultimate comfort food – macaroni and cheese. A rich and cheesy side dish that’s a perfect complement to the creamy flavors of cottage pie. It’s like a warm blanket for your taste buds, and it’s the perfect way to indulge your inner child. Plus, you can pretend you’re at a state fair and feel like you’re living your best life.
There you have it, folks – a collection of delicious and creative side dishes to pair with your cottage pie.
Whether you’re in the mood for something starchy, fresh, veggie-based, or downright indulgent, there’s a side dish on this list for you.
But let’s be real, the best thing about these side dishes isn’t just how they taste. It’s about the joy of trying new things and experimenting with flavors. It’s about finding the perfect balance between rich and fresh, savory and sweet.
And it’s about enjoying the process of putting together a meal that’s both satisfying and delicious.
So the next time you’re serving up some cottage pie, don’t be afraid to mix things up a bit. Take a chance on one of these side dishes and see where it takes you. Who knows, you might just discover your new favorite food.
After all, life is too short to eat boring side dishes.
What To Serve With Cottage Pie (25 Best Sides)
- Roasted Potatoes
- Garlic Bread
- Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Yorkshire Pudding
- Baked Beans
- Caesar Salad
- Caprese Salad
- Roasted Beet Salad
- Greek Salad
- Spinach Salad
- Roasted Brussel Sprouts
- Honey-Glazed Carrots
- Grilled Asparagus
- Creamed Spinach
- Broccoli and Cheese Casserole
- Tomato Soup
- French Onion Soup
- Beef Stew
- Butternut Squash Soup
- Clam Chowder
- Corn on the Cob
- Garlic Roasted Mushrooms
- Grilled Shrimp Skewers
- Deviled Eggs
- Macaroni and Cheese
- Pick your favorite recipe from the article.
- Organize your ingredients and utensils.
- Follow the detailed instructions in the recipe to make your side dish.
- Prepare and serve for delicious meal!
Jenny has always been passionate about cooking, and she uses her platform to share her joy of food with others. Her recipes are easy to follow, and she loves giving tips and tricks to help others create their own unique culinary creations.