Are you searching for the best toppings for Hawaiian pizza?
Hawaiian pizza is a delicious and easy pizza to make at home.
It’s typically made with a cheese and tomato base, topped with ham and pineapple.
But there are so many other delicious toppings that you can add to this classic pizza!
So if you are looking for some inspiration, then you are in the right place.
I’ve rounded up 10 of the best toppings for Hawaiian pizza including bacon, chicken, peppers, mushrooms, and more.
10 Best Toppings for Hawaiian Pizza
Any true pizza lover knows that Hawaiian pizza is one of the best pies around.
The combination of sweet pineapple and savory ham is irresistible.
But what really makes Hawaiian pizza special are the toppings.
From traditional to unique, the right toppings can take this already delicious pizza to the next level.
Here are 10 of the best toppings for Hawaiian pizza:
I might as well get this pizza topping out of the way – we all know how much of a classic it is.
But, there are definitely ways to make it even better.
First things first, when you’re picking out a pineapple at the store, make sure that it’s ripe.
There should be no green left on the outside and the fruit should give off a sweet smell.
If it doesn’t smell sweet, it’s not going to taste good on your pizza.
Now that you’ve got your pineapple, it’s time to cut it up.
I like to cut mine into small chunks so that there’s a little in every bite.
You could also cut it into slices if you prefer.
Once you’ve got your pineapple cut up into pieces, it’s time to add it to your pizza!
I personally love pineapple on my pizza with Canadian bacon and jalapeños, but feel free to experiment and find your own favorite combination.
2. Bell Peppers
Bell peppers add a lovely color, crunch, and sweetness to any pizza.
They’re especially good on Hawaiian pizzas, where their sweetness complements the pineapple perfectly.
When adding bell peppers as a topping, I recommend slicing them thin so that they cook evenly and don’t overpower the other toppings.
You can also roast them first for a sweeter, more intense flavor.
Some of my favorite combinations with bell peppers are:
- Bell peppers, onions, and mushrooms
- Bell peppers, sausage, and olives
- Bell peppers, chicken, and bacon
- Bell peppers, pineapple, and ham
Mushrooms are great on almost any pizza recipe, but they especially shine on Hawaiian pizza.
The smokiness of the mushrooms pairs perfectly with the sweetness of the pineapple, and the earthy flavor of the mushrooms helps to balance out the overall flavor of the pizza.
When adding mushrooms to your pizza, it is important to cook them first so that they are not raw when you eat the pizza.
I like to cook my mushrooms in a pan with a little bit of olive oil and garlic before adding them to my pizza.
This adds even more flavor to an already delicious topping.
If you love mushrooms and want to try something new, I suggest trying a white pizza with mushrooms, spinach, and feta cheese.
The combination of these ingredients is absolutely amazing.
Another great combination is mushrooms, sausage, and onions.
The contrast in flavors is really delicious and will leave you wanting more.
Olives are known for their distinct and slightly salty flavor.
They make a great topping for pizza because they add a nice depth of flavor to the dish.
When choosing olives for your pizza, I recommend going with Kalamata or black olives.
These types of olives have a more robust flavor that will really stand out against the other toppings on your pizza.
To prepare the olives, simply slice them into thin rounds.
You can also chop them up if you prefer a more rustic look for your pizza.
Olives pair well with a variety of other toppings, such as:
- Green peppers
Spinach is so much more than just a healthy green veggie.
When it comes to pizza toppings, spinach brings a unique flavor that can’t be found in many other ingredients.
When choosing spinach for your pizza, I recommend using baby spinach leaves.
They’re more tender and have a milder flavor than regular spinach leaves.
You’ll want to wash the spinach leaves and then dry them completely before adding them to your pizza.
I like to chop the spinach into thin strips so that it’s easier to distribute evenly over the pizza.
- One of my favorite combinations is spinach, feta cheese, and red onions. The salty feta pairs perfectly with the sweetness of the red onions, and the spinach adds a nice earthy flavor that ties everything together.
- Another great combination is spinach, mushrooms, and olives. The mushrooms add a meaty texture and the olives add a nice briny flavor that really makes this pizza pop.
Chicken is an awesome way to add some extra protein and flavor to your Hawaiian pizza.
If you’re using pre-cooked chicken, make sure to dice it up into small pieces so that it cooks evenly on the pizza.
You can also use shredded chicken, which will add a nice texture to the pizza.
If you’re using raw chicken, I recommend cooking it in advance so that it’s not undercooked when the pizza is done.
- To cook chicken for this purpose, I would suggest marinating it in some BBQ sauce or Italian dressing and then grilling or baking it until it’s cooked through.
- Once your chicken is cooked, just add it to your pizza toppings and enjoy!
Bacon is super popular in American cooking and it’s no wonder why – it adds a delicious salty and smoky flavor to whatever dish it is used in.
While bacon is most commonly associated with breakfast foods, it can actually make a great topping for Hawaiian pizza!
When picking out bacon for your pizza, I would recommend opting for thinner slices so that they cook evenly and don’t overwhelm the other flavors on the pizza.
You’ll also want to cook the bacon ahead of time so that it’s nice and crispy.
I would recommend cooking it in the oven on a wire rack set over a foil-lined baking sheet at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for about 15 minutes.
Once your bacon is cooked, you can chop it up into small pieces and sprinkle it over your pizza before baking.
I love the combination of bacon, pineapple, and Canadian bacon on Hawaiian pizza but you could also try adding some jalapeño peppers or red onions for a bit of spice.
8. Canadian Bacon
You didn’t think I was going to forget about Canadian bacon, did you?
This topping is essential for a delicious Hawaiian pizza.
Here are a few tips for preparing your Canadian bacon:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut your Canadian bacon into thin slices, about 1/4 inch thick.
- Place the Canadian bacon on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes, or until the bacon is crisp.
- Remove from the oven and let cool before adding to your pizza.
Now that you know how to prepare this topping, here are some ideas for combinations that I love:
- Canadian Bacon + Pineapple + Mozzarella Cheese: This is the classic Hawaiian pizza combination that you can’t go wrong with. The sweetness of the pineapple pairs perfectly with the salty Canadian bacon and creamy mozzarella cheese. Yum!
- Canadian Bacon + Jalapeño Peppers + Cheddar Cheese: This combination is for those who like a little bit of spice in their life. The jalapeño peppers add a nice kick, while the cheddar cheese helps to balance out the heat. Delicious!
- Canadian Bacon + Mushroom + Onion + Provolone Cheese: This combination is my personal favorite. I love the earthy flavors of the mushrooms and onions, and they go so well with the salty Canadian bacon and sharp provolone cheese. Yum!
If you love some spice in your life, then you’ve got to try jalapeños on your Hawaiian pizza!
Trust me, the sweetness of the pineapple pairs perfectly with the heat of the jalapeño.
And if you’re worried about the jalapeño being too spicy, don’t be!
The pizza dough and cheese will help tone down the heat.
When it comes to preparing the jalapeños, I like to slice them into thin rounds.
This way, you get a good amount of heat in every bite without it being overwhelming.
If you really want to up the ante, you can even leave some of the seeds in (just be warned that it’ll be extra spicy this way)!
As for combinations, one of my personal favorites is jalapeño, bacon, and pineapple.
10. Extra cheese
Any real cheese loving pizza fan will tell you that one of the best toppings you could ever put on a pizza is extra cheese.
It’s simple, it’s classic, and it never fails to deliver.
But if you’re not careful, it can also be a bit of a mess.
Here are a few tips for adding extra cheese to your pizza so that it comes out tasting its best:
- Choose your cheese wisely. If you’re using pre-shredded cheese, go for a quality brand that uses real cheese. And if you’re shredding your own cheese, opt for a variety that melts well and has a strong flavor.
- Don’t overdo it. A little bit of cheese goes a long way, so start with less than you think you need and then add more if necessary.
- Distribute the cheese evenly. This will help ensure that every bite of pizza has the perfect amount of cheesy goodness.
- Add the cheese early on in the cooking process. This will give it time to melt and get all ooey gooey before the pizza is done baking.
Now that you know how to prepare extra cheese for your Hawaiian pizza, here are some flavor combinations that I personally love:
- Extra cheese + pineapple + ham
- Extra cheese + bacon + jalapeño peppers
- Extra cheese + sausage + mushrooms
10 Best Toppings for Hawaiian Pizza
- Bell Peppers
- Canadian Bacon
- Extra cheese
- Choose your favorite toppings from this list to add to your pizza recipe.
- Prepare the rest of your meal.
- Enjoy in no time!