Are you looking for the best toppings for BBQ chicken pizza?
If so, you are in the right place!
I’ve rounded up 8 of the best toppings for BBQ chicken pizza that will take your pizza game to the next level.
From pineapple and bacon to corn and avocado, there is sure to be a topping on this list that you’ll love.
So go ahead and give one (or all!) of these toppings a try the next time you make BBQ chicken pizza!
- 37 Healthy Sides for Pizza I Can’t Resist
- 15 Best Salads To Go With Pizza
- BBQ Chicken Wine Pairing – The Best Wines for BBQ Chicken
8 Best Toppings for BBQ Chicken Pizza
You don’t have to settle for the same old toppings on your BBQ chicken pizza.
There are a number of great toppings that can really take your pizza to the next level.
Here are 8 of the best toppings for BBQ chicken pizza:
1. Red Onion Slices
Red onions are quite like yellow onions in terms of their shape and size.
However, they have a much thinner skin and a sharper flavor.
They are also richer in antioxidants than their yellow counterparts.
When used as a pizza topping, red onions provide a sweetness that helps to offset the spiciness of the BBQ sauce and the smokiness of the chicken.
Additionally, their sharp flavor helps to brighten up the overall taste of the pizza.
When slicing red onions for your pizza, be sure to slice them thinly so that they cook evenly and don’t overwhelm the other flavors in the dish.
You can either slice them by hand or use a mandoline slicer.
If you’re using a mandoline, be sure to use the safety guard!
In terms of other toppings that pair well with red onion on BBQ chicken pizza, I would suggest trying cilantro, green onion, or pineapple.
2. Green Bell Pepper Slices
I love green pepper and the crunch it adds to a pizza, so I was excited to try this topping.
I was not disappointed!
The green peppers added a great flavor to the pizza and the tips below helped ensure that my pizza came out tasting its best.
Here are a few tips for using green bell pepper slices as a topping for your pizza:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit before adding the toppings to your pizza.
- Place the green bell pepper slices around the edge of the pizza.
- Bake your pizza for 15-20 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Let your pizza cool for a few minutes before slicing and serving.
Other toppings that pair well with green bell peppers on BBQ chicken pizza include onions, mushrooms, jalapeños, and pineapple.
3. Pineapple Chunks
Pineapple on pizza has been a huge debate for years.
Some people are for it and some people are against it.
I am here to tell you that pineapple chunks are a great way to add flavor to your BBQ chicken pizza!
Here are a few tips on how to use pineapple chunks as a topping:
- Do not overdo it! A little bit of pineapple goes a long way. You do not want to overpower the other flavors on your pizza.
- If you are using fresh pineapple, make sure to cook it before adding it to your pizza. This will prevent the pizza from being too soggy.
- Pair pineapple with other toppings that have complementary flavors, such as ham, bacon, or sausage.
Here are a few ideas for other toppings that pair well with pineapple:
4. Jalapeño Slices
If you like a little bit of spice in your life, then you’ll love jalapeño slices on your pizza.
Here are a few tips for using this topping:
- If you want a more mild flavor, remove the seeds from the jalapeños before adding them to your pizza.
- For a spicier pizza, leave the seeds in or even add extra jalapeños.
- Pair jalapeños with other toppings like cheddar cheese, bacon, sausage, or chicken.
- If you’re really feeling adventurous, try a jalapeño popper pizza! Start with a cream cheese base, then add jalapeños, bacon, and cheddar cheese.
If you have a can of corn in your pantry and are looking for a new way to top your pizza, give this a try!
I like to mix corn with diced red onion, fresh cilantro, and a sprinkle of Tajin seasoning.
To get the corn onto the pizza, I like to first spread on a layer of refried beans.
This acts as a “glue” of sorts and also adds another layer of flavor.
Then I add the corn mixture on top and finish it off with shredded cheese.
As for other toppings that pair well with this one, I think black beans, diced tomatoes, and jalapeños would be great additions.
Cilantro isn’t just for adding a beautiful green garnish to your dish.
It also has a unique flavor that can enhance the taste of your food.
When it comes to pizza, cilantro can really brighten up the flavor and add a freshness that you may not have experienced before.
Here are a few tips for using cilantro on your pizza:
- Use it as a topping after your pizza has been cooked. This will allow the heat from the pizza to release the flavor of the cilantro and prevent it from becoming overwhelming.
- Add other toppings that pair well with cilantro, such as diced tomatoes, onions, or peppers.
- If you’re looking for an extra kick, try adding some cayenne pepper to your cilantro-topped pizza.
Bacon on pizza is just…heaven.
There’s no other way to describe it.
The salty, savory, smoky flavor of bacon pairs so well with the tomato sauce and melted cheese on a pizza.
And when it’s crispy?
Here are a few tips for making sure your bacon comes out perfectly on your pizza:
- Use thick-cut bacon so that it doesn’t get lost among the other toppings.
- Cut the bacon into small pieces so that it cooks evenly.
- Precook the bacon slightly so that it doesn’t take forever to cook on the pizza.
- Add the bacon towards the end of cooking so that it doesn’t get too crispy.
- Bacon and sausage
- Bacon and chicken
- Bacon and mushroom
8. Avocado Slices
Your BBQ chicken pizza is going to be delicious with avocado slices as a topping!
Here are a few tips for using avocado on your pizza:
- Use ripe, fresh avocados for the best flavor and texture.
- Slice or dice the avocado according to your preference. I like to slice mine thinly so that there’s more surface area to enjoy the flavor in every bite.
- Add the avocado towards the end of your cooking time so that it doesn’t get too browned or mushy.
- Try other toppings that pair well with avocado, such as bacon, chicken, tomato, or onion.
8 Best Toppings for BBQ Chicken Pizza
- Red Onion Slices
- Green Bell Pepper Slices
- Pineapple Chunks
- Jalapeño Slices
- Avocado Slices
- Choose your favorite toppings from this list to add to your pizza recipe.
- Prepare the rest of your meal.
- Serve in no time!