It’s happened to all of us.
You bake a batch of butter tarts, and you eat all the tarts… but there’s still half a jar of filling leftover.
What do you do with it?
The leftover butter tart filling can be used in a number of ways. It can be spread on toast or bagels, or folded into a scone dough to make a savory breakfast treat. It can also be added to a pie crust to make a sweet dessert.
Keep reading for more ideas!
What to Do with Leftover Butter Tart Filling?
While the filling is best enjoyed as soon as it’s made, leftover butter tart filling can be used in many recipes. It can be stirred into ice cream or eaten plain, depending on your preferences. You can also use it to top brownies, biscuits, and cakes.
If you’ve got a few extra spoonfuls of that delicious filling lying around, don’t throw it out!
Here are 10 creative ideas for what to do with leftover butter tart filling:
1. Make More Butter Tarts
A great way to use your leftover butter tart filling is to make more butter tarts!
You can do this by simply rolling out the leftover dough, cutting it into squares or circles, and baking them until they’re golden brown.
You can even add things like chocolate chips or sprinkles to jazz things up a bit. The possibilities are endless!
2. Use It as A Filling for Cupcakes
If you want something a little more decadent than just regular old butter tarts, try using your leftover filling as a topping for cupcakes!
See Also: 19 Frosting Ideas for Chocolate Cupcakes
See Also: 15 vanilla cupcake topping ideas
Just cut the top off of each cupcake with a knife, fill it with the leftover filling, then replace the top of the cupcake and frost it with your favorite icing.
This will give you an extra layer of cakey goodness and deliciousness—just like having two treats in one!
3. Use It as A Filling for Muffins
This is a great idea if you’re looking for something sweet and savory at the same time, or if you’re looking for a way to add some protein to your morning routine without feeling like it’s too much.
Simply mix the leftover butter tart filling with 1/2 cup of flour and 1 egg, then bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit until golden brown, about 20 minutes.
This makes about 10 muffins—enough for one person if they’re trying to keep their calories low and enough for two people if they’re looking for something more substantial.
4. Use It as An Ice Cream Topping
If you’re looking for a way to use up leftovers without baking it into something else, consider making an ice cream topping out of it!
All you need is some softened vanilla ice cream (or any flavor), some whipped cream, and some fresh fruit—and you’ve got an instant dessert!
Simply scoop some softened vanilla ice cream into a bowl and top with fresh berries or other seasonal fruits, then add a dollop of whipped cream on top of everything.
You won’t believe how delicious this combination is until you try it yourself!
5. Make a Sandwich with Peanut Butter and Jelly
Spread some of your leftover butter tart filling on bread or toast, then top it with some peanut butter and strawberry jam or jelly.
You could also spread some peanut butter on one side and jelly on the other, or even add some chocolate chips!
6. Mix Some Into Your Morning Oatmeal
Oatmeal is an easy breakfast choice that’s great for getting your day started off right.
But if you’re not into eating oatmeal plain, try mixing in some leftover butter tart filling to give it an exciting flavor boost!
You can use regular oatmeal or even make special oatmeals by adding cinnamon and other spices—the options are endless!
7. Turn It Into Caramel Sauce for Dipping
This is one of the easiest ways to use up butter tart filling, and it’s super delicious, too.
- Just combine butter tart filling with a cup of brown sugar, a third of a cup of whipping cream, and a teaspoon of vanilla extract.
- Then heat over low heat until it bubbles and thickens (you can stir it constantly if you want).
- Pour into a container and let cool before serving.
You can use this sauce for dipping apples or pears, or even making caramel corn!
8. Make Homemade Poptarts
You can also make homemade poptarts using your leftover filling!
- Simply make your own dough as usual, but instead of cutting out circles for your poptarts, cut out rectangles and fill them with some of that leftover filling.
- Then bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes until golden brown.
9. Make a Delicious Dessert Pizza
This is one of our favorite ways to use leftover filling, and it’s perfect for when you’re craving a sweet treat that’s not too heavy.
- 1 whole-wheat pizza crust (store-bought or homemade)
- 1/2 cup of leftover butter tart filling (or any other kind of fruit pie filling)
- 1/2 cup of fresh berries (we like raspberries)
- 2 tablespoons vegan chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spread the crust with the butter tart filling and then top with berries and chocolate chips, if using.
- Bake for 10 minutes until golden brown on top.
- Let cool for 5 minutes before slicing into squares and serving warm or cold!
10. Turn It Into a Cheesecake
Why not turn it into a cheesecake?
- First, you’ll need to make the crust. Mix together 1 cup of graham cracker crumbs and 1/4 cup of melted butter.
- Press this mixture into a 9-inch pie pan and bake in a 350-degree oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- Next, prepare the filling: Combine 1/4 cup sugar and 2 tablespoons flour in a large mixing bowl.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/8 teaspoon salt and mix well.
- Add 3 eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Stir in 1 cup sour cream and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract until well combined.
- Pour this mixture over the cooled crust in your pie pan (you may have some left over).
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until filling is set but still jiggles slightly when you shake the pan lightly back and forth (the center will continue to firm up as it cools).
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before serving with fresh fruit or whipped cream if desired!
What to Do with Leftover Butter Tart Filling (10 Ideas)
- Make More Butter Tarts
- Use It as A Filling for Cupcakes
- Use It as A Filling for Muffins
- Use It as An Ice Cream Topping
- Make a Sandwich with Peanut Butter and Jelly
- Mix Some Into Your Morning Oatmeal
- Turn It Into Caramel Sauce for Dipping
- Make Homemade Poptarts
- Make a Delicious Dessert Pizza
- Turn It Into a Cheesecake
- Pick your favorite idea from this list to use up your leftover filling.
- Prepare the rest of your delicious meal.
- Be ready to munch in no time!
Jenny has always been passionate about cooking, and she uses her platform to share her joy of food with others. Her recipes are easy to follow, and she loves giving tips and tricks to help others create their own unique culinary creations.