From flan to churros, Mexico’s vast culinary culture is full of incredible desserts.
But what if you’re looking to kick things up a notch?
Don’t worry—we’ve got you covered.
The following are eleven spicy Mexican desserts that will make any meal memorable.
11 Spicy Mexican Desserts
If you’re anything like us, you love Mexican food.
And if you’re also anything like us, you probably have a bottle of hot sauce in your cupboard that you use on everything from pizza to tacos to eggs.
But did you know that there’s a whole world of spicy Mexican desserts out there waiting for your taste buds?
We searched high and low for the best spicy desserts from south of the border, and we found 11 standouts that will blow your mind! (And make your throat burn. In a good way!)
1. Spicy Coconut Flan
A classic flan recipe is already a revelation: coconut milk, cream cheese, and vanilla extract combine to create an unforgettable treat that’s perfect for any occasion.
But we took things up a notch by adding in a generous amount of cayenne pepper—just enough to let you know it’s there without being overpowering.
Churros are one of Mexico’s most iconic desserts.
The chocolate sauce that accompanies them is usually not spicy, but this recipe from Taste.com.au changes things up by adding cayenne pepper for an extra kick!
This recipe also calls for chili powder in the churro batter itself—if you want even more heat, feel free to add more than what’s listed on the ingredient list.
For something a little different, look no further than these Slow Cooker Mexican Corn Cakes from Food Fanatic.
This recipe calls for a 1/2 teaspoon of ground red pepper—you can increase or decrease the amount based on how spicy you want things to be.
Churros are classic Mexican street food—crispy sticks of dough, rolled in cinnamon sugar and served with chocolate sauce for dipping.
This recipe from Food52 adds a little kick by using ancho chile powder, cayenne pepper, and chili chocolate sauce.
For the best results, try making them yourself!
5. Choco-Chile Pancakes with Bananas and Strawberries
We’re about to get spicy.
These Choco-Chile Pancakes are a great way to top off any meal (or start your day).
Made with Tabasco sauce and chili powder, these pancakes will leave your mouth on fire—in the best way possible.
And they’re super easy to make!
- Grab three bananas, two cups of strawberries, one third of a cup of milk, two eggs, one cup of flour, half a teaspoon each of baking powder and salt, half a teaspoon of chili powder, a couple dashes of Tabasco sauce, and half a teaspoon each of vanilla extract and cinnamon.
- Add milk to the eggs and beat until smooth. Sift flour into the mixture, then add all remaining ingredients except for the fruit slices. Mix until smooth and there are no lumps.
- Heat some butter in a nonstick pan over medium heat and pour batter onto griddle in small batches (about 3 tablespoons per pancake). Cook 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Top with fruit slices!
If you’re looking to add some spice to your dessert routine, you can’t get much better than Sweet and Salty Pecan Pie Cookies.
These cookies are the perfect balance of sweet and salty, with the spiced pecans adding a dash of heat to the mix.
If you’re looking for something that is sure to impress, these golden-brown morsels will definitely do the trick.
For those who want their dessert to pack a punch—and we mean a REAL punch—there’s no substitute for these Spicy Chocolate Cupcakes with Cayenne Pepper Cream Frosting.
See Also: 15 Best Vanilla Cupcake Toppings
The chocolate cake itself is made with dark unsweetened chocolate and cayenne pepper for an extra kick.
Topped with cream frosting made with cayenne pepper, this dessert is not for the faint of heart—but if you like challenging your taste buds, this is definitely going to be your new favorite treat!
See Also: 19 Frosting Ideas for Chocolate Cupcakes
8. Molten Lava Cakes with Habanero and Dark Chocolate Ganache
This rich, decadent dessert is as amazing to look at as it is to taste.
It’s also easy to make—just follow the instructions below:
- 2 habanero peppers
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 eggs + 2 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup sugar + 2 tablespoons sugar
- Finely chop the habaneros and set aside half for later use.
- Add them to a bowl along with the chocolate chips, butter, and 1/4 cup sugar.
- Set this bowl in a saucepan with simmering water and stir until melted.
- Remove from heat and add in the eggs one at a time, stirring well after each addition.
- Set this mixture in another bowl in the fridge for about 30 minutes before spooning into cupcake molds (lined with parchment paper).
9. Spicy Chocolate Chip Cookies with Cinnamon, Cayenne Pepper, and Pecans
If you’re looking for an upgrade to the traditional chocolate chip cookie, look no further!
These cookies are rich and spicy, with a cinnamon and cayenne pepper kick.
For the dough:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Cream together the butter, white sugar, and brown sugar until smooth. Beat in the vanilla, egg, and milk until well blended.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon; stir into the batter until just blended. Mix in pecans and chocolate chips. Chill dough for at least one hour (or overnight).
- Drop cookie dough onto ungreased cookie sheets by rounded spoonfuls. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in preheated oven. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
10. Cinnamon Ice Cream with Mole Sauce and Ancho Chili Powder
You’re just a few steps away from crafting this spicy Mexican dessert, which will make your next meal unforgettable.
Here’s what you need:
- Cinnamon ice cream
- Mole sauce
- Ancho chili powder
All you have to do is grab some cinnamon ice cream, drizzle it with mole sauce, and sprinkle ancho chili powder on top.
You’ve got yourself a treat that’s spicy, sweet, and totally unique.
Flan and churros are two of Mexico’s most famous desserts—but if you’re looking for a dessert with a little extra kick, you’re in luck.
We’ve got a killer spicy chocolate cake recipe that will liven up any meal.
First, preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Then, gather your ingredients: 8 large eggs, 1 cup sugar, 4-5 tablespoons chili powder (depending on how hot you like it!), 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, salt.
To make the cake:
- Put the eggs and sugar in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Add the chili powder, vegetable oil, vanilla extract, cocoa powder, and salt and blend until smooth again.
- Pour mixture into a greased 9-inch springform pan or cake pan (we recommend coating the pan with cooking spray) and put in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Let sit for 10 minutes before removing from pan and serving topped with whipped cream!
11 Spicy Mexican Desserts
- Spicy Coconut Flan
- Spicy Churros with hot chilli chocolate
- Slow Cooker Mexican Corn Cakes Recipe
- Spiced Churros from Food52
- Choco-Chile Pancakes with Bananas and Strawberries
- Sweet and Salty Pecan Pie Cookies
- Spicy Chocolate Cupcakes with Cayenne Pepper Cream Frosting
- Molten Lava Cakes with Habanero and Dark Chocolate Ganache
- Spicy Chocolate Chip Cookies with Cinnamon, Cayenne Pepper, and Pecans
- Cinnamon Ice Cream with Mole Sauce and Ancho Chili Powder
- Flourless Chocolate Cake with Chili Pepper
- Pick your favorite desserts from this list.
- Prepare the ingredients according to the recipe.
- Be ready to munch in no time.