If you’re looking for a delicious way to enjoy pork roast, look no further.
The combination of juicy pork and flavorful sauces is one that can’t be beat.
With so many different sauces available, it can be hard to know which ones will best complement your roast.
That’s why I have compiled this list of the 10 best sauces for pork roast – so you don’t have to guess!
From classic gravy and BBQ sauce to more creative options like mango chutney and apricot glaze, these recipes are sure to make your next dinner party a hit.
So read on to find out which sauce is right for you!
Read Also: Pork Roast Wine Pairing – The Best Wines for Pork Roast
Why Use A Sauce for Pork Roast?
Using a sauce for pork roast is an excellent way to add flavor and moisture to the meat.
Here are three in-depth reasons why you should use a sauce when cooking pork roast:
- A flavorful sauce can help bring out the natural flavors of the pork, while also adding complexity and depth of flavor. For example, a sweet and tangy barbecue sauce or a savory herb-infused gravy can really enhance the taste of your pork roast.
- Sauces can help keep your pork moist during cooking by providing additional fat content that helps prevent it from drying out as it cooks. This is especially important if you’re roasting at high temperatures or using leaner cuts of meat like loin chops or tenderloins.
- Finally, sauces provide an easy way to dress up your dish with minimal effort! You can make them ahead of time so they’re ready when you need them, or even buy pre-made sauces from the store if you don’t have time to make one yourself. Either way, having a delicious sauce on hand will take your meal from ordinary to extraordinary in no time!
The 10 Best Sauces for Pork Roast
A pork roast is a classic, comforting dish that can be enjoyed any time of the year.
To make it even more delicious, adding an appropriate sauce will do wonders.
Here are ten sauces that pair perfectly with a pork roast:
1. Honey Garlic Sauce
Honey garlic sauce is a sweet and savory condiment made from honey, garlic, soy sauce, and other ingredients.
It has a thick consistency and can be used as a marinade or glaze for meats such as pork roast.
- To Make It: To make honey garlic sauce, combine equal parts of honey and soy sauce in a bowl. Add minced garlic to the mixture along with some freshly ground black pepper. For extra flavor, add some fresh ginger or red chili flakes. Whisk all the ingredients together until they are well combined.
- To Customize: You can customize your honey garlic sauce by adding different herbs and spices such as rosemary, thyme, oregano, cumin, paprika or turmeric. You can also add some citrus juice like lemon or lime juice to give it an extra zing of flavor.
- Common Uses: Honey garlic sauce is commonly used as a marinade for pork roast but it can also be used on chicken wings or ribs before grilling them. It’s also great for stir-fries and salads when you want to add some sweetness to your dish without overpowering it with sugar.
2. Dijon Sauce
Dijon sauce is a creamy, mustard-based condiment that originated in the French city of Dijon.
It is made with white wine, vinegar, and spices such as garlic, tarragon, and shallots.
The main ingredient is Dijon mustard, which gives the sauce its signature tangy flavor.
- To Make It: To make Dijon sauce at home you will need mayonnaise or sour cream as a base; Dijon mustard; white wine or sherry vinegar; minced garlic; fresh tarragon leaves; and chopped shallots. Simply mix all of the ingredients together until they are well combined.
- To Customize: You can customize your own version of this classic condiment by adding other herbs and spices to it such as thyme, oregano, rosemary, paprika or cayenne pepper for some heat. You can also add honey for sweetness or Worcestershire sauce for an extra depth of flavor.
- Common Uses: This versatile condiment pairs perfectly with pork roast but can also be used on sandwiches and burgers instead of regular mustard or ketchup. It’s also great when served alongside grilled vegetables like zucchini or eggplant slices as well as roasted potatoes and other root vegetables like carrots and parsnips.
3. Sweet and Spicy Apricot Sauce
Sweet and Spicy Apricot Sauce is a flavorful condiment made from soy sauce, brown sugar, apricot jam, sriracha, and onion powder.
It has a sweet-tangy flavor with just the right amount of heat to make it interesting.
- To Make It: To make Sweet and Spicy Apricot Sauce, combine 1/4 cup of soy sauce with 1/4 cup of brown sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir until the sugar is dissolved. Add 1/2 cup of apricot jam and stir until combined. Then add 2 tablespoons of sriracha and 1 teaspoon of onion powder. Simmer for 5 minutes or until thickened slightly. Let cool before serving.
- To Customize: You can customize this recipe by adding other ingredients such as garlic powder or ginger for more flavor; honey instead of brown sugar for sweetness; or red pepper flakes for extra heat.
- Common Uses: Sweet and Spicy Apricot Sauce is great on pork roast but also goes well with chicken, fish, vegetables, rice dishes, noodles dishes, sandwiches, wraps or even as a dip!
4. Onion Gravy
Onion gravy is a savory sauce made from onions, butter, and flour.
It is typically used as a topping for meats such as pork roast or steak.
- To Make It: To make onion gravy, start by melting butter in a pan over medium heat. Add diced onions to the pan and cook until they are soft and lightly browned. Sprinkle the flour over the onions and stir to combine. Slowly add beef broth while stirring constantly until it thickens into a gravy-like consistency. Season with salt and pepper to taste before serving.
- To Customize: Onion gravy can be customized with different herbs or spices such as thyme, rosemary, garlic powder, or paprika for added flavor. You can also use chicken broth instead of beef broth if desired.
- Common Uses: Onion gravy is commonly served over pork roast or steak but can also be used as an accompaniment to mashed potatoes or roasted vegetables like carrots and Brussels sprouts.
5. Port Wine Sauce
Port wine sauce is a classic French sauce made with port wine, butter, shallots, and beef stock.
It is usually served with red meats such as pork or beef.
- To Make It: To make port wine sauce, start by melting butter in a pan over medium heat. Add chopped shallots and cook until softened. Pour in the port wine and reduce it until it has thickened slightly. Add the beef stock and simmer for 10 minutes to allow the flavors to meld together. Strain the mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl and season with salt and pepper to taste before serving.
- To Customize: The flavor of this sauce can be customized by adding other ingredients such as garlic, herbs, mushrooms, cream, or even Worcestershire sauce. You can also use different types of wines such as Madeira or Sherry instead of port if desired.
- Common Uses: Port wine sauce is commonly served with pork roast but can also be used on steaks or chops as well as game meats like venison or rabbit. It’s also great when served over mashed potatoes or roasted vegetables for an extra flavorful side dish!
Mustard is a condiment made from the seeds of various mustard plants.
The whole, ground, cracked, or bruised mustard seeds are mixed with water, vinegar, lemon juice, wine, or other liquids and salt to create a paste or sauce that ranges in color from bright yellow to dark brown.
- To Make It: Mustard can be made at home by combining mustard powder with liquid ingredients such as water and vinegar. This mixture should be left to sit for several hours before using it so that the flavors can develop fully.
- To Customize: To customize your own homemade mustard you can add herbs and spices like garlic powder, onion powder, turmeric powder, cumin powder etc., as well as sweeteners like honey or maple syrup. You can also experiment with different types of vinegars such as apple cider vinegar or balsamic vinegar for a unique flavor profile.
- Common Uses: Mustard is most commonly used as a condiment on sandwiches and hot dogs but it can also be used in marinades for meats and vegetables; added to dressings; stirred into soups; used in sauces; spread over roasted potatoes; mixed into mashed potatoes; added to deviled eggs; served alongside cheese platters; and more!
7. Garlic Sauce
Garlic sauce is a condiment made from garlic, oil, and other ingredients.
It is commonly used in Middle Eastern cuisine as a dip or spread for meats, vegetables, and breads.
- To Make It: To make garlic sauce, you will need minced garlic cloves, olive oil, lemon juice or white vinegar, salt to taste, and optional ingredients such as cumin powder or paprika. Begin by combining the minced garlic with the olive oil in a blender until it forms a paste-like consistency. Then add the lemon juice or white vinegar and blend again until combined. Finally add salt to taste and any additional spices you may want to use. Blend one last time until everything is well incorporated.
- To Customize: You can customize your garlic sauce by adding different herbs and spices such as parsley flakes or oregano for an extra flavor boost. You can also adjust the amount of lemon juice or vinegar depending on how tangy you would like your sauce to be.
- Common Uses: Garlic sauce is most commonly served alongside grilled meats such as pork roast but it can also be used as a dip for vegetables like carrots and celery sticks or even spread onto sandwiches instead of mayonnaise for an added zing of flavor!
8. Honey-Mustard Sauce
Honey-Mustard Sauce is a condiment made from a combination of honey, mustard, and other ingredients.
It has a sweet and tangy flavor that pairs well with many dishes.
- To Make It: To make Honey-Mustard Sauce, combine equal parts honey and Dijon mustard in a bowl. Then add some mayonnaise or sour cream to give the sauce body and texture. You can also add garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice or white wine vinegar for additional flavor. Mix all the ingredients together until they are fully combined.
- To Customize: If you want to customize your Honey-Mustard Sauce you can add different herbs such as thyme or rosemary for an herbal kick; spices like cumin or coriander for an earthy depth; chili flakes for heat; maple syrup or brown sugar for sweetness; apple cider vinegar for tartness; or even some hot sauce if you like it spicy!
- Common Uses: Honey-Mustard Sauce is commonly used as a dip for chicken tenders and fries but it’s also great on sandwiches, burgers, salads and roasted vegetables. It’s also delicious when used as a glaze on pork roast or grilled fish.
9. Apricot Sauce
Apricot sauce is a sweet and savory condiment made from apple cider vinegar, soy sauce, brown sugar, fresh apricots, and red pepper flakes.
It has a tangy flavor with just the right amount of sweetness to balance it out.
- To Make It: To make apricot sauce, start by combining apple cider vinegar, soy sauce, brown sugar, and red pepper flakes in a small pot over medium heat. Simmer for 5 minutes until the mixture thickens slightly. Add diced fresh apricots and simmer for an additional 10 minutes until the fruit is soft. Remove from heat and let cool before serving or storing in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week.
- To Customize: You can customize your apricot sauce by adding other ingredients such as garlic or ginger for extra flavor; honey or maple syrup instead of brown sugar; or even some orange juice concentrate for added sweetness.
- Common Uses: Apricot sauce is commonly used as a glaze on pork roast but can also be used as a dipping sauce for chicken wings or nuggets; served over ice cream; mixed into yogurt; drizzled over pancakes or waffles; stirred into oatmeal; spread onto toast with peanut butter; added to smoothies; used as a marinade for grilled meats; or drizzled over roasted vegetables.
10. BBQ Sauce
BBQ sauce is a condiment made from a combination of ingredients such as tomato paste, vinegar, sugar, and spices.
It is used to add flavor to grilled or smoked meats.
The exact ingredients vary depending on the region and style of barbecue being prepared.
- To Make It: Start by combining ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, paprika, cayenne pepper (optional), apple cider vinegar and black pepper in a medium-sized bowl. Whisk all the ingredients together until they are well combined. Taste the mixture and adjust any seasonings as desired before transferring it into an airtight container for storage in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
- To Customize: To customize your homemade BBQ sauce even further you can add additional flavors like honey or molasses for sweetness; mustard or horseradish for tanginess; chipotle peppers in adobo sauce for smokiness; liquid smoke for an extra smoky flavor; Worcestershire sauce or soy sauce for umami depth; fresh herbs like rosemary or thyme; citrus juice like lemon or lime juice; hot sauces like Tabasco or Sriracha; fruit preserves like apricot or raspberry; or even wine or beer. Experiment until you find the flavor combination that you like best.
In conclusion, pork roast is a delicious and versatile meat that goes great with a variety of sauces.
The best sauces for pork roast are honey garlic sauce, dijon sauce, sweet and spicy apricot sauce, onion gravy, port wine sauce, mustard, garlic sauce, honey-mustard sauce, apricot sauce, and apple butter sauce.
Each of these sauces has its own unique flavor profile and can be used to elevate your pork roast and make it even more delicious.
Whether you are looking for something sweet, savory, or spicy, there is sure to be a sauce that will suit your taste.
So, the next time you are making pork roast, don’t forget to add one of these sauces to make it even more delicious.
The 10 Best Sauces for Pork Roast
- Honey Garlic Sauce
- Dijon Sauce
- Sweet and Spicy Apricot Sauce
- Onion Gravy
- Port Wine Sauce
- Garlic Sauce
- Honey-Mustard Sauce
- Apricot Sauce
- BBQ Sauce
- Select your favorite recipe.
- Organize all the required ingredients.
- Prep a sauce recipe in 30 minutes or less!
Jenny has always been passionate about cooking, and she uses her platform to share her joy of food with others. Her recipes are easy to follow, and she loves giving tips and tricks to help others create their own unique culinary creations.