Want to take your ham sandwiches from ordinary to extraordinary?
You’ll be amazed at what a few carefully chosen toppings can do.
From classic sauces and condiments, to fresh veggies and outrageous extras, there’s something for everyone when it comes to creating their perfect ham sandwich.
Try some of these 27 insanely delicious ham sandwich toppings and find out what it feels like to bite into an ultra sandwiched packed with flavor.
With such a diverse range of taste combinations, you’re guaranteed never to get bored with your trusty lunchtime sarnie again!
Read Also: Ham Wine Pairing – The Best Wines for Ham
27 Best Ham Sandwich Toppings
Ham sandwiches are a classic, but they can be easily elevated with some delicious toppings.
Here is a list of 27 tasty options that will take your ham sandwich to the next level:
Classic Sauces and Condiments
- Mustard: Mustard lends a tangy and slightly spicy flavor that pairs well with the saltiness of the ham in your sandwich. You can choose from either traditional yellow mustard or Dijon, both of which will be delicious!
- Mayonnaise: Mayonnaise adds a smooth creaminess to your sandwich. It’s also the perfect vehicle for adding extra ingredients like onions or pickles for even more flavor-boosting options.
- Ketchup: Ketchup is an easy way to add some sweetness and acidity as a topping to your ham sandwich. The classic ketchup taste is always popular, but don’t be afraid to try out different flavors like chipotle Ketchup or curry Ketchup!
- BBQ Sauce: BBQ sauce has bold notes of smokey sweet robustness that go perfectly with warm toasties filled with hot smoked ham. If you want something really special, try using whiskey-infused BBQ sauce!
- Hot Sauce: Last but not least is hot sauce! Hot sauces come in many varieties so there are plenty of choices when it comes to spicing up your cheesy ham sandwich – think sriracha mayo, chili tomato salsa…go wild!
- Lettuce: Iceberg lettuce is a classic accompaniment to ham sandwiches, but it can also be punched up with a few different varieties of greens like romaine and arugula. Adding green leafy vegetables gives your sandwich more texture and makes for a fresher bite.
- Tomato: Tomatoes lend extra juiciness to the mix, plus they’re packed with vitamin C! Slice into wedges or dice them into smaller pieces so there’s tomato in each and every bite.
- Cucumber: Cool cucumbers are an underrated topping for ham sandwiches that add crunch and balance the flavors out nicely with their refreshing taste. We recommend slicing thinly or using matchstick-sized cuts for even distribution (and maximum flavor!).
- Onion: Onion brings both pungency AND sweetness to the party; try adding red onions if you want something milder or white/yellow onions if you want it sharper. You can either use onion slices uncooked or lightly sautéed—the choice is yours!
- Bell Pepper: Red bell peppers will bring some subtle spice while green ones offer sweeter notes to contrast the rest of your toppings—or get adventurous by trying other colors like orange, purple, yellow, etc! Cut into thin strips for evenly distributed vibrations of veggie power!
- Cheddar Cheese: This staple cheese can be found in slices, shredded, or cubed for easy use on ham sandwiches. Cheddar brings a wonderful salty flavor that pairs perfectly with the sweetness of ham, and is also creamy and melts easily. Add some lettuce, tomatoes, and mayo to make it even more delicious!
- Swiss Cheese: If you’re looking for a milder alternative to cheddar, swiss is perfect to pair with your freshly-cooked ham. This cheese has a slightly nutty flavor that blends deliciously into any sandwich filling. Its creaminess adds an extra layer of texture – try adding some crispy onions as well for added crunch!
- American Cheese: An iconic classic when it comes to cheeseburgers, American cheese also works wonderfully in sandwiches filled with ham. You’ll get an unmistakable mellow flavor and perfectly melted texture that will add another dimension to your delicious sammie! Try adding other mild flavors like thin-sliced pickles or sweet pepper strips too – yum!
- Brie: For those who want something truly unique, this soft French cheese delivers every time when topped off on a ham sandwich! Sharp yet buttery brie fits wonderfully against the saltiness of cooked meats like bacon or smoked turkey breast too – definitely worth testing out in your next lunchtime creation!
- Avocado: Avocados are a great way to add creaminess and depth of flavor to your ham sandwich without adding too much fat. For an extra-flavorful sandwich, try mashing up some ripe avocados with garlic, lime juice, and salt for a delicious spread!
- Pineapple: For a bit of sweetness and crunch, add slices of fresh pineapple or canned pineapple tidbits. The acidity from the fruit will mellow out the salty taste of the ham while adding its own unique fruity notes to your sandwich!
- Fried Egg: Fried eggs provide both rich in texture as well a savory flavor that pairs perfectly with ham. If you’re looking for a breakfast-inspired twist on this classic sandwich, frying up an egg is guaranteed to take it up a notch! Be sure not to overcook it though – runny yolks make every bite even more flavorful and decadent!
- Jalapenos: Jalapenos bring the perfect amount of spiciness to any dish they are added to including sandwiches like this one! Adding jalapeno slices gives balance by cutting through all the fatty ingredients in the tasty stack up and providing some additional flavor as well!
- Pickles: Sweet pickles have been relied on for years as classic condiments for sandwiches like these ones filled with smoked meats and cheese fats; their acidic component balances out everything nicely eradicating any potential overpowering flavors without compromising on quality tastes either way.. This topping is certain to give you that extra zing when indulging in this scrumptious delight.
- Bacon: To add a salty, smoky flavor to your sandwich, top it off with some crispy bacon. You can either fry or bake the bacon pieces before adding them to the sandwich for extra crunch and taste.
- Turkey: Give your ham sandwich a touch of sweetness with thinly-sliced smoked turkey breast. The meat will also help balance out any saltiness from the ham while offering an interesting contrasting texture to the softness of bread and ham.
- Chicken: Juicy roast chicken adds incredible flavor, richness, and moistness that pairs well with aged cheddar cheese (a great addition). Put in thin slices or chop finely into small cubes for an even more intense flavor profile!
- Roast Beef: Spice up your classics by adding thin slices of slow-cooked roast beef on top of your favorite classic ham sandwiches – it’s both simple and delicious! Serve with horseradish mayonnaise for an extra kick!
- Salami: Thinly sliced salami adds a wonderful level of umami to any sandwich. It can be mild, spicy, or even made with beef! A few slices on top of a ham sandwich give you an indulgent pairing that is hard to resist.
- Pepperoni: The classic pizza topping works amazingly well when added to a ham sandwich too. Sliced thin and spread atop the bread, crispy pepperoni brings the perfect amount of salty flavor for a delicious contrast against the milder-tasting roast pork filling.
- Pastrami: This deep red cured meat made from brisket has become such a popular topping for ham sandwiches in recent years, and it isn’t difficult to taste why! Its spiced smoky flavors pair perfectly with deli-style ham and provide an extra richness that really elevates your meal.
- Prosciutto: This luxurious Italian pressed dry-cured ham is an excellent companion to ordinary ham sandwiches as its incredibly delicate flavor complements without overpowering the rest of your ingredients. Try slicing thinly and spreading across slices of white or rye bread – adding some lettuce is optional but helps add another level of freshness too!
In conclusion, the perfect ham sandwich is all about the toppings. There is a wide range of classic sauces and condiments, fresh veggies, cheeses, outrageous extras, and protein toppings that you can use to make your sandwich extra special.
The best toppings to use for a ham sandwich are mustard, mayonnaise, ketchup, BBQ sauce, hot sauce, lettuce, tomato, cucumber, onion, bell pepper, cheddar cheese, Swiss cheese, American cheese, brie, avocado, pineapple, fried egg, jalapenos, pickles, bacon, turkey, and chicken.
These toppings will add flavor, texture, and richness to your sandwich and make it truly delicious.
27 Ham Sandwich Toppings You Need to Try
- BBQ Sauce
- Hot Sauce
- Bell Pepper
- Cheddar Cheese
- Swiss Cheese
- American Cheese
- Fried Egg
- Roast Beef
- Select your favorite toppings from this article.
- Prepare the toppings according to your preference.
- Prep a delicious ham sandwich in 30 minutes or less.
Jenny has always been passionate about cooking, and she uses her platform to share her joy of food with others. Her recipes are easy to follow, and she loves giving tips and tricks to help others create their own unique culinary creations.