The first thing to know about couscous is that it’s a versatile ingredient.
You can add it to soups, salads, curries, and even desserts.
The second thing to know about couscous is that it can be paired with almost anything—and that’s what we’re going to talk about today.
We’ve compiled a list of 10 easy ideas for what to have with couscous for lunch, so you can get some inspiration for your next meal.
But first, what can you have with couscous for lunch?
The best thing to have with couscous for lunch is a salad. Couscous is a carbohydrate, so you should pair it with something green to balance out your meal. A salad will provide you with the vitamins and minerals you need to stay healthy and keep your energy levels up.
For more ideas, keep scrolling!
What to Have with Couscous for Lunch – 10 Easy Ideas
If you love couscous as much as we do (and we’re pretty sure you do), then you might be wondering what else to eat with it!
Here are 10 easy ideas for what to have with couscous for lunch:
This is a classic combo, but one that never gets old!
To make it, just add a tablespoon of hummus to a cup of couscous and mix until combined.
You can also top it with fresh herbs or spices like paprika or cumin if you want more flavor.
This recipe is super simple—simply add some chickpeas (or other legumes), tomatoes, and spices like cumin and coriander to your couscous and mix until combined!
This is easily customizable too so feel free to experiment with different veggies or seasonings!
This combo is a great way to get some extra veggies in your diet.
The roasted vegetables give the dish a nice crunch and flavor, while both quinoa and couscous are whole grains that are high in fiber and protein.
This one is super easy.
- Just steam some fresh green beans until they are tender enough to eat but still have a little crunch left—we like ours al dente!
- Then just toss them with some couscous and top it off with some salt and pepper.
This lunch option is a great way to get your veggies in for the day.
It’s also super easy to make!
- You just need to prepare your couscous and then boil some water.
- Next, add your broccoli, carrots and peas into a colander (or steamer) over boiling water for about 10 minutes until they are tender but still crunchy.
- Drain the water from the vegetables and mix them with your cooked couscous in a bowl.
- Finally, serve your vegetarian meal with some fresh lemon juice sprinkled on top!
6. Couscous, Chicken Breast, Broccoli and Asparagus
This is a classic combination that’s always delicious.
- Cook the broccoli and asparagus first, then remove them from the pan and cook your chicken breast in the same pan until cooked through.
- Finally, add your couscous to the pan (along with any herbs or spices that sound good) and stir everything together until heated through.
7. Couscous, Salmon Fillet and Kale Salad
Another easy recipe that’s perfect for a light lunch.
- Just cook your salmon fillet according to its instructions (usually 10 minutes per side at 350 degrees Fahrenheit).
- When it’s done cooking, take it out of the oven and coat it in lemon juice before serving over cooked couscous with fresh kale salad tossed in a simple dressing made from olive oil, lime juice and garlic powder (these are all ingredients you probably already have around).
8. Couscous, Tuna Steak and Cherry Tomatoes
This is a classic lunchtime combination that never fails to satisfy.
The couscous provides a base for the tuna steak and cherry tomatoes to rest on, while the tuna steak provides a protein punch that can be topped with mustard or mayonnaise.
The cherry tomatoes add a sweet burst of flavor and they’re also great dipped in some vinaigrette dressing!
If you’re looking for something more filling, try adding some spinach as well!
9. Couscous, Aubergine Slices and Sweetcorn Kernels
If you’re looking for something that’s more of a meal than just a side dish, this is the option for you!
Take some aubergine slices and sweetcorn kernels and cook them in a pan until they’re soft.
Then add them to your couscous after it has been cooked.
10. Couscous, Chicken Breast Strips with Spinach Leaves and Cherry Tomatoes in A Light Dressing
This is a great lunch recipe because it’s easy to prepare and super tasty.
You can even use leftover chicken breast strips from last night’s dinner if you want.
- Just marinate them in lemon juice and olive oil overnight and then bake them at 400°F until they’re cooked through (about 10-15 minutes).
- While they bake, boil your couscous with water and salt according to package instructions.
- When the chicken is ready, add some spinach leaves and cherry tomatoes cut into halves or quarters depending on how big they are.
- Drizzle everything with olive oil and lemon juice; throw in some parsley if you want; mix well; serve over hot couscous—and voila!
You have yourself a beautiful lunch that’ll keep you going all afternoon!
How to Decide What to Have with Couscous for Lunch
Couscous is best enjoyed with your favorite vegetables, meats, or legumes.
To determine what you should have with couscous for lunch, consider the following:
1. What Kind of Food Do You Usually Eat for Lunch?
If you usually eat something light and fresh, like salad, then it might be best to eat couscous with your favorite vegetables or legumes.
If you usually eat a meat-based meal, try adding couscous on top of the meat or making it into a side dish with grilled vegetables and herbs.
2. Do You Want to Eat Something That’s High in Protein?
If you’re craving something high in protein, consider serving couscous with some grilled chicken or shrimp on top.
This will give your meal a nice boost of protein without making it too heavy or filling!
3. What Kind of Flavors Do You Like?
If you like spicy food, serve couscous with hot sauce or sriracha so it’s extra flavorful!
Or if you prefer something sweet, try adding honey or maple syrup to your salad dressing (or even just drizzling it over the top).
What Meat Goes with Couscous for Lunch?
The meat you choose for your couscous depends on your preference and what other ingredients are in the dish.
If you’re enjoying soup with your couscous, then having some chicken or beef in the broth will provide additional flavor for your meal.
If you’re serving it with vegetables and fruits, try adding some lamb or pork to give it more substance.
What to Have with Couscous for Lunch (10 Ideas)
- Couscous and Hummus
- Couscous, Chickpeas and Tomatoes
- Couscous, Roasted Vegetables and Quinoa
- Couscous and Green Beans
- Couscous, Broccoli, Carrots and Peas
- Couscous, Chicken Breast, Broccoli and Asparagus
- Couscous, Salmon Fillet and Kale Salad
- Couscous, Tuna Steak and Cherry Tomatoes
- Couscous, Aubergine Slices and Sweetcorn Kernels
- Couscous, Chicken Breast Strips with Spinach Leaves and Cherry Tomatoes in A Light Dressing
- Pick your favorite couscous combo from this list.
- Prepare the rest of your lunch.
- Be ready to munch in no time!