Are you looking for a delicious sandwich to make with your leftover chicken?
If so, then you’ve come to the right place!
The perfect bread can take any sandwich from good to great, and there are plenty of options out there.
From fluffy white buns to hearty artisanal loaves, here are seven of the best breads for making chicken sandwiches.
How To Pick The Right Bread For A Chicken Sandwich
When picking the right bread for a chicken sandwich, there are several factors to consider.
- First, you’ll want to think about the type of chicken you’re using. If it’s grilled or fried, then a sturdy and slightly chewy bread like ciabatta or focaccia will work well. These types of breads can hold up to the weight of the chicken without becoming soggy. For lighter sandwiches with poached or shredded chicken, something softer like brioche or challah is ideal as it won’t overpower the delicate flavors in these preparations.
- Next, consider what other ingredients you plan on adding to your sandwich and how they might affect your choice of bread. If you’re going for a classic BLT-style sandwich with bacon and lettuce, then a hearty sourdough would be great as its robust flavor pairs nicely with smoky bacon and crunchy lettuce leaves. On the other hand, if you’re making an Asian-inspired sandwich with teriyaki sauce and pickled vegetables, then something more neutral like white pullman loaf would be better suited as its mild flavor won’t compete with bolder ingredients in this preparation.
- Finally, think about texture when selecting your bread; do you want something soft that melts in your mouth? Or do you prefer something crispier that offers some resistance when biting into it? The answer will depend on personal preference but also on what kind of toppings are being used—for example creamy avocado slices pair better with softer buns while crunchy slaw works best on firmer ones such as baguettes or rolls.
7 Best Breads For Chicken Sandwiches
When it comes to making a great chicken sandwich, the bread is just as important as the filling.
Here are seven types of breads that work best with chicken sandwiches and will make your meal even more delicious:
Ciabatta is an Italian white bread made with wheat flour, water, salt, and yeast.
It has a crisp crust and a light, airy texture.
The dough is usually shaped into long loaves or rolls before baking.
Ciabatta is often used for sandwiches because of its large size and sturdy texture.
It can also be served as a side to soups or salads, or toasted and topped with cheese or other toppings.
Its light flavor makes it the perfect base for any sandwich filling, from grilled chicken to roasted vegetables.
Focaccia is an Italian flatbread made with olive oil, salt, and herbs.
It is usually baked in a large sheet pan and can be topped with various ingredients such as olives, tomatoes, onions, rosemary, or cheese.
The dough is similar to pizza dough but has a more open texture due to the addition of olive oil.
Focaccia makes for an excellent sandwich bread because it holds up well against heavier fillings like chicken or steak without becoming soggy.
It also adds flavor and texture to the sandwich that regular white bread cannot provide.
Focaccia can also be used as a side dish for soups or salads or served as an appetizer when cut into small pieces and topped with various ingredients.
Sourdough is a type of bread made with a fermented dough starter.
The starter is made from flour, water, and wild yeast that has been allowed to ferment over time.
This fermentation process gives the bread its distinctive sour flavor and chewy texture.
Sourdough bread has a unique chewy texture that sets it apart from other types of breads.
It also has a crisp crust due to the long fermentation process which helps develop complex flavors in the dough.
The combination of these two textures makes for an incredibly satisfying sandwich experience.
Brioche is a type of French bread that is made with eggs, butter, and milk.
It has a soft texture and a slightly sweet flavor.
The dough is enriched with butter and eggs to give it its unique texture and flavor.
Brioche has a very soft texture due to the high fat content from the butter and eggs.
This makes it ideal for making sandwiches as it won’t become dry or tough when filled with ingredients like chicken or vegetables.
The sweetness of the brioche also helps to balance out savory flavors in the sandwich filling.
Challah is a traditional Jewish egg bread made with flour, eggs, yeast, sugar, and oil.
It is usually braided before baking to give it its distinctive shape.
The dough is enriched with eggs and oil which gives it a spongy texture and rich flavor.
Challah has a unique texture that sets it apart from other types of breads.
Its spongy texture comes from the combination of eggs and oil in the dough which makes it light yet rich at the same time.
The addition of sugar also helps to create a slightly sweet flavor that pairs well with savory fillings like chicken or turkey.
6. Pullman Loaf
Pullman Loaf is a type of white bread that is made with a combination of all-purpose flour and cake flour.
It is usually baked in a long, rectangular pan called a Pullman tin, which gives the loaf its distinctive shape.
The sides of the loaf are straight and squared off, while the top has rounded corners.
Pullman Loaf has a mild flavor and slightly sweet taste due to the addition of sugar or honey to the dough.
The texture is soft and light, making it perfect for sandwiches as it won’t overpower other flavors in the filling.
A baguette is a long, thin loaf of French bread that is made from wheat flour, water, yeast, and salt.
It has a crisp crust and an airy texture inside.
Baguettes are usually about 24 inches long and 2-3 inches wide.
Baguettes are most commonly used for sandwiches or as an accompaniment to meals.
They can also be served with butter or olive oil as an appetizer or snack.
Baguettes can also be used in recipes such as French onion soup, croque monsieur (a grilled ham and cheese sandwich), or even croutons for salads.
In conclusion, bread is an essential part of any chicken sandwich, so it’s important to pick the right type.
The best breads for chicken sandwiches are ciabatta, focaccia, sourdough, brioche, challah, pullman loaf, and baguette or roll.
Each of these breads offers a unique flavor and texture, so you can experiment to find the perfect flavor combination for your sandwich.
7 Best Breads For Chicken Sandwiches
- Pullman Loaf
- Baguette or Rolls
- Select your favorite type of bread.
- Prepare the rest of your chicken sandwich recipe.
- Enjoy in no time!
Jenny has always been passionate about cooking, and she uses her platform to share her joy of food with others. Her recipes are easy to follow, and she loves giving tips and tricks to help others create their own unique culinary creations.