Taco night is always a hit, but what salad goes with tacos?
While tacos are usually the star of the show, don’t forget about the side dish!
Salads make a great accompaniment to tacos and can really take your taco night to the next level.
So if you’re wondering what salad goes with tacos, then you are in the right place.
I’m sharing 15 of my favorite salads that go perfectly with tacos including Mexican-inspired salads, crunchy salads, creamy salads, fresh salads, and more.
In a rush? Here is the short answer:
A great salad to pair with tacos is a simple green salad with lime juice, garlic, and cilantro. For an extra crunch, add some chopped bell peppers or jicama. You could also try a fruit salad with mango, avocado, and red onion. To keep it light and fresh, serve a black bean and corn salad on the side.
Read Also: Taco Wine Pairing – The Best Wines for Tacos
Why Serve A Salad with Tacos?
- Variety: There are endless possibilities when it comes to what type of salad one can serve with tacos. Salads add crunch, as well as a burst of flavor to contrast the savory flavors of the tacos. One could top their taco salads with cheese, beans and avocados for extra heartiness or opt for something lighter and fresher like lettuce, cucumber, and tomatoes.
- Nutritional Benefits: Serving salad alongside tacos provides opportunities to increase your daily intake of essential vitamins and minerals such as Vitamin C and Vitamin A from leafy greens and other fresh produce that goes into the salad mix. This helps balance out any unhealthy fats sourced from the taco shells or fillings themselves.
- Textural Contrast: Not only does tossing some veggies in with your tacos bring a brightened splash of flavor but also an enjoyable textural experience through added crunch from fresh vegetables or nuts within the salad topping providing a differentiating sensation in each mouthful making every bite more exciting.
- Easily Customizable: Unlike bases served with tacos such as rice, slaw is easily adaptable instead allowing guests to customize the toppings so they get exactly what they want on their dish catering to individual dietary preferences allergies specific tastes plus everyone gets maximum satisfaction from the meal!
- Atmosphere: Guests will be surprised yet impressed by offering slaw alongside classic Mexican dishes – creating a buzz amongst friends and family who wouldn’t have otherwise considered this pairing elevating the entire dining experience into a special occasion even if it’s just gathering mates!
What Salad Goes With Tacos? (15 Best Salads)
Tacos are a delicious and easy meal. But it can be difficult to decide what salad goes with tacos.
Here we look at fifteen salads that go perfectly with tacos, each offering different flavors and textures:
1. Greek Salad
Greek salad is the perfect accompaniment to any meal.
I love throwing together feta cheese, tomatoes, onions, olives, cucumbers, and peppers (or whatever ingredients I can find in my fridge), tossing it with a simple balsamic vinaigrette dressing and herbs, such as oregano or dill.
A refreshing side that pairs perfectly with tacos.
2. Caesar Salad
Caesar salad has been an iconic mainstay since its creation in Mexico more than 70 years ago.
Its combination of crunchy romaine lettuce tossed with creamy Parmesan-Romano dressing and croutons adds a complex yet satisfying flavor to every taco dinner.
It’s also incredibly versatile – you could easily add grilled chicken or shrimp for even more zing!
You can never go wrong with coleslaw when it comes to pairing it up with tacos.
Whether you dress it up or keep it minimalistic by just using mayonnaise and lemon juice, this shredded cabbage slaw always wins me over whenever I whip up some homemade tacos for dinner.
And if I’m feeling wilder in the kitchen that day?
Some diced apples, celery seeds, and/or jalapeños will turn any plain coleslaw into something spectacular!
4. Caprese Salad
Caprese salad is like the ever-popular romantic comedy of salads.
This Italian classic pairs juicy red tomatoes with deliciously creamy mozzarella, all crowned with bright basil leaves and drizzled with a flavorful balsamic reduction to finish.
It’s equal parts simple and satisfying – perfect for a side dish or even paired with tacos.
5. Potato Salad
Potato salad is like that steady friend you can always count on when you need it most.
Its combination of potatoes, mayo, pickles, and whatever other vegetables (or eggs) your heart desires creates an absolute flavor powerhouse!
I love adding dill for some extra herbiness – it brings out the best in tuna tacos as much as it does in regular old potato salad dishes.
6. Spinach Salad
Spinach salad takes the prize for being everyone’s favorite health nut!
Packed full of nutrition and bursting with flavor thanks to its blend of spinach, nuts, cranberries, feta cheese, and sweet poppy seed dressing – this vibrant green creation will impress any dinner guest while supplementing their taco meal nicely.
Plus, there are so many variations – from arugula to kale to romaine – giving me lots of options at my fingertips whenever I’m feeling creative in the kitchen.
7. Waldorf Salad
A classic salad that’s always a crowd-pleaser, Waldorf Salad is a mix of apples, walnuts, and celery dressed in mayonnaise.
Its light, crunchy texture offers a nice contrast to any taco dinner.
And when topped with creamy blue cheese or feta crumbles, it adds even more flavor and texture to the meal.
8. Tomato Cucumber Salad
There’s nothing fresher than this simple tomato-cucumber salad.
With just diced tomatoes and cucumbers tossed lightly in oil and vinegar along with salt and pepper to taste, it pairs well with any Mexican entrée – plus its short preparation time makes it easy for any host of family dinner night!
9. Pesto Potato Salad
This flavor-filled pesto potato salad really stands out among traditional salads.
A fluffy bed of boiled potatoes combined with fresh basil pesto brings a zesty spin to everyday salads.
The brightness from the pesto dressing pairs beautifully against spicy tacos for an unforgettable side dish – perfect for taco Tuesday nights!
10. Roasted Beet Salad with Walnuts, Goat Cheese and Honey Balsamic Dressing
A roasted beet salad is a great way to add color and flavor to tacos.
I love combining tender beets with crunchy walnuts, creamy goat cheese, and a sweet honey balsamic dressing.
It adds sweetness to my tacos, along with the perfect balance of creaminess, crunchiness, and tartness.
11. Chickpea Salad
Chunky chickpeas are an essential element in my taco salads.
I like adding them for texture and protein, as well as their nutty flavor that pairs perfectly with other traditional Mexican flavors.
To make it more flavorful, I often sprinkle cumin on top before serving it up with my favorite taco recipes.
12. Quinoa Salad
Quinoa is such a nutrient-rich powerhouse grain – it provides complete proteins while being high in iron and vitamin B6; what’s not to love?
Plus its mild earthy taste contrasts nicely with the spicy seasonings used in traditional Mexican cuisine.
So I always try to incorporate quinoa into some kind of salad when making tacos – whether using spiced roasted veggies or simply tossing cooked quinoa grains together with lemon juice, olive oil, and green onions for a simple side dish.
13. Arugula Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette
This salad is one of my favorite side dishes to pair with tacos.
The peppery taste of arugula is complemented perfectly by the tangy lemon vinaigrette dressing and cherry tomatoes, making it a flavorful option for any meal.
For added crunch, I like to sprinkle some feta or goat cheese over the top.
14. Three Bean Salad
This salad pays homage to every part of Mexico’s culinary offerings – beans are a staple ingredient in Mexican cuisine and can be combined with almost anything!
My preferred version calls for black beans, pintos, and garbanzos for different flavors and textures; corn for sweetness; onions & peppers for crunchiness; olive oil & garlic as a classic base; cilantro leaves and lime juice as the stars.
15. Broccoli Salad
This simple yet tasty broccoli dish is sure to impress your family or friends while they indulge in their tacos feast!
Chopped heirloom tomatoes bring some color while almonds provide a texture-inducing crunch factor – all waiting patiently underneath an irresistibly creamy ranch dressing that brings together this incredibly robust flavor profile!
While I’m also fond of bacon bits being thrown into the mix, these won’t necessarily overpower the main star – which are undeniably those delicious tacos.
15 Best Salads To Serve With Tacos
- Greek Salad
- Caesar Salad
- Caprese Salad
- Potato Salad
- Spinach Salad
- Waldorf Salad
- Tomato Cucumber Salad
- Pesto Potato Salad
- Roasted Beet Salad with Walnuts, Goat Cheese and Honey Balsamic Dressing
- Chickpea Salad
- Quinoa Salad
- Arugula Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette
- Three Bean Salad
- Broccoli Salad
- Select your favorite recipe.
- Organize all the required ingredients.
- Prep a side salad in 30 minutes or less!
Jenny has always been passionate about cooking, and she uses her platform to share her joy of food with others. Her recipes are easy to follow, and she loves giving tips and tricks to help others create their own unique culinary creations.