If you’re looking for light desserts that go well with a heavy meal, opt for a fruit salad or a parfait. Fruit salads are a perfect way to get a healthy dose of fruit in your diet. Parfaits are similar to a smoothie, but they use milk instead of juice.
Soups, stews, and pasta are the usual suspects for a hearty meal.
But what happens if you have a really heavy dinner?
If you don’t want to be bloated or full all day, then there are a few light desserts that can make you feel good without weighing you down.
Coffee Cake, Rice Pudding, Cheesecake, and Ice Cream are all examples of light desserts you can enjoy after a meal.
In addition, a dessert can add variety to a dinner party, since not everyone enjoys eating the same meal all the time.
A variety of foods can be included in a dessert such as fruits, breads, cakes, cookies, and more.
There is no rule on how much fruit is served with dessert.
However, it is important to keep the amount of sugar, carbs, and fats low in the dessert itself so that you don’t have a bloated belly afterwards.
What are some of the best dessert recipes that go well after heavy meals?
After a heavy meal, light desserts are perfect to indulge in. Desserts like cheesecake, ice cream, pudding, and even cake can all be delicious after a big meal.
18 Light Desserts After a Heavy Meal
A light dessert is something you can enjoy after a big meal. It can be as simple as a slice of cake or as elaborate as a soufflé. A light dessert is usually served after a meal to satisfy your sweet tooth.
1. Strawberry and Mint Parfait: Light and refreshing, this parfait is sure to satisfy even the hungriest appetites. It’s easy to make, too. With only three ingredients, you’re sure to find this recipe on your list for a quick and healthy dessert.
2. Panna Cotta with Fresh Berries: Panna cotta is one of my favorite desserts, and when topped with fresh berries and a dollop of whipped cream, it becomes an even more decadent dessert. This recipe calls for raspberries and strawberries, but if you prefer peaches or plums, that’s okay!
3. Almond Macaroon Cookies: The almond macaroons are the perfect sweet treat to have around after dinner! The crunchy almond cookies are the perfect mix between sweet and salty.
4. Lemon Meringue Cookies: A classic cookie recipe, these lemon meringue cookies are just as good as the original recipe. A perfect light dessert to have in the freezer when you need a sweet pick-me-up.
5. Peach and Blackberry Crisp: When you’re looking for an easy dessert to make after a heavy meal, this crisp is definitely going to get the job done. The combination of ripe peaches, blackberries and a little lemon juice is just the thing to perk up your palate after a hearty dinner.
6. Lemon Blueberry Tartlets: The tartlets are perfect for when you’re in a hurry, but still want something satisfying to eat. The sweet lemon filling gets infused with fresh blueberries and the tart crust is topped with sugar and lemon. This tart will keep your sweet tooth satisfied for hours!
7. Chocolate Chip Cookies: Cookies are a great dessert that you can whip up in a flash. They are perfect to have on hand for a quick and easy dessert after a heavy meal. Chocolate chip cookies are one of my favorites, and I love how they are so versatile. There are literally thousands of recipes out there that use chocolate chips! You can add flavorings like cinnamon, nutmeg, or even citrus zests to get a different result!
8. Cinnamon Cookies: Cinnamon and sugar are an unbeatable combination. Add in oats and you have a cookie that has a lot of health benefits, too. These cookies are perfect for snacking!
9. Sorbet: With the cold and flu season in full swing, you should know that sorbets are the perfect dessert to cool off after a heavy meal. If you’re looking for a new dessert recipe to try, try making your own strawberry sorbet. It takes only minutes to make and it tastes amazing.
10. Mango Panna Cotta: A panna cotta is a creamy Italian dessert made from cream and gelatin, which when set and refrigerated, becomes a custard-like dessert. The difference between a pudding and a custard is the thickening agent—puddings rely on starch, while custards use eggs and cream. This dessert tastes delicious because it uses mango as its thickening agent, and is also a great way to introduce your kids to the wonders of this tropical fruit!
11. Cheesecake: Cheesecake is the ultimate summer dessert! You can go the easy route and just buy a pre-made cheesecake, or you can make your own cheesecake. Whether you want something sweet, sour, savory, or creamy, it’s all possible with cheesecake!
12. Coconut Yogurt Cake: If you like coconut, this cake is for you. Coconut and banana are a great combination and the cake is light and delicious!
13. Pumpkin Cake: If you like pumpkin pie, but don’t want the hassle of making a crust, then try this super simple pumpkin cake! You won’t regret it.
14. Strawberry Shortcake: Everyone loves strawberries! Who doesn’t? This strawberry shortcake is the epitome of summer. It has all of the flavors of the season: fresh berries, sweet whipped cream, vanilla wafers, and a rich, flaky biscuit crust. Make sure you serve this on a beautiful platter to make a statement.
15. Chocolate-Hazelnut Layer Cake: This cake has chocolate, hazelnuts, and a touch of espresso to make it extra delicious. The crunchy edges and gooey center make this dessert a delicious and light treat. Serve this for dessert at your next barbecue.
16. Strawberries with Vanilla Yogurt: Who said you can’t have dessert after a big meal? When I want dessert, I order a chocolate-hazelnut layer cake and then take a minute to make some homemade strawberry yogurt. Topped with a drizzle of honey and a sprinkle of fresh mint, this dessert will make you forget all about your waistline!
17. Lemon Ice Cream: If you’re looking for something light to serve after a barbecue, lemon ice cream is a perfect choice. It’s low in calories, high in protein and will help to keep you satisfied!
18. Fresh Fruit Platter: When I think about this recipe, I think of the best things to eat on a summer day. Fresh fruits like melons, peaches, apricots and berries are the perfect complement to any barbecue. Make sure to bring some along and enjoy them as you watch the sunset!
So, what are some good desserts to serve after a heavy meal?
The perfect light dessert is one that you can eat without feeling guilty. You want to avoid the heavier desserts that are full of calories, like pies, cakes, and puddings.
Some great options for a light dessert include cheesecake, pudding, custard, and mousse. If you’re looking for something a little more savory, try an Italian ice cream. It’s similar to gelato but is made with milk instead of cream.
18 Light Desserts After a Heavy Meal
- Strawberry and Mint Parfait
- Panna Cotta with Fresh Berries
- Almond Macaroon Cookies
- Lemon Meringue Cookies
- Peach and Blackberry Crisp
- Lemon Blueberry Tartlets
- Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Cinnamon Cookies
- Mango Panna Cotta
- Coconut Yogurt Cake
- Pumpkin Cake
- Strawberry Shortcake
- Chocolate-Hazelnut Layer Cake
- Strawberries with Vanilla Yogurt
- Lemon Ice Cream
- Fresh Fruit Platter
- Pick any of these delicious light desserts.
- Prepare the ingredients according to the recipe.
- Be ready in no time!