Scalloped potatoes are a classic comfort food that you can enjoy in various ways as a creamy, cheesy side dish, or potatoes au gratin.
Whether you have leftovers or want to prepare this dish ahead of time for an event, reheating scalloped potatoes correctly is essential for them to stay moist, delicious and adequately cooked.
Here’s how to reheat scalloped potatoes in various ways:
How to Reheat Scalloped Potatoes in a Conventional Oven
A conventional oven is the best way to reheat scalloped potatoes if you want them crispy on top yet soft and creamy inside.
Follow these simple steps:
- Preheat your oven at 350°F.
- Spread the desired amount of leftover scalloped potatoes evenly into an oven-safe dish.
- Cover the dish with foil.
- Place the dish in the preheated oven.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until hot all around and bubbly.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool down for a few minutes before serving.
How to Reheat Scalloped Potatoes in the Microwave
If you’re craving some cheesy potato goodness but don’t have much time, microwaving leftovers is an option that will save time and effort.
- Scoop out your desired amount of leftover scalloped potatoes into a microwave-safe bowl.
- Add one tablespoon of milk or water over the top of your servings; this prevents them from drying out while microwaving
- Cover with damp paper towel or microwave-safe lid
- Heat on high power for 1-2 minute intervals until hot all around while stirring occasionally between each interval**
- Remove from microwave carefully because it’s going to be hot
- Let it rest for 30 seconds to a minute.
- Serve and enjoy.
How to Reheat Scalloped Potatoes in a Skillet
Another quick technique is using a skillet or frying pan.
- Place the desired amount of scalloped potatoes in a skillet over medium heat
- Add 2-3 tablespoons of milk or cream on top for moisture and to prevent sticking
- Stir occasionally for uniform heating 5-7 minutes until fully reheated.
- Serve while hot and Enjoy.
How to Reheat scalloped potatoes by Searing
This method works great if you want crispy edges with warm centers, making it an ideal option when reheating leftover scalloped potatoes that are not creamy anymore.
- Preheat your pan at high heat and add oil.
- Pour in the leftover scalloped potatoes into the hot pan when oil is sizzling.
- Sear for about 4 minutes on both sides until crispy coating.
- Remove from heat and let it rest for 2 minutes before serving
How to Reheat Scalloped Potatoes Using an Air Fryer
Air fryers have become popular with people wanting healthy cooking alternatives, but they can also be used as a powerful reheating apparatus, especially on the leftovers such as scalloped potatoes.
- Preheat your air fryer at 350° F
- Place your leftovers into the basket.
- Cook until thoroughly heated up.For crispy edges ,spritz some oil before re-heating
- Remove from air fryer once heated up, keeping eyes on fresh texture look about few minutes (recommend lay down single layer)
- Serve immediately while hot & unbeatable satisfaction taste!
How to Reheat Scalloped Potatoes Using a Toaster Oven
Toaster ovens are versatile; they offer smaller-scale baking options perfect for individualize portions than traditional oven cooked methods can’t achieve quickly.
A toaster oven is ideal for heating up leftovers like scalloped potatoes.
- Preheat the toaster oven to 350°F
- Place leftover scalloped potatoes onto an oven-safe dish, preferably in a single layer
- Heat for 20-25 minutes until thoroughly heated with crispy edges.
- Let it cool down and transfer into a separate dish.
- Serve while hot & Enjoy
How to Reheat Scalloped Potatoes in a Broiler
The broiling method is yet another option that’s quick and easy.
- Set your broil to high heat (medium will work too).
- Place leftover scalloped potatoes on an aluminum or oven tray lined with a parchment paper sheet (to prevent sticking)
- Spread them evenly within the confines of the tray while moistening well with milk or cream
- Broil for about 6-8 minutes , keeping your eyes on it – The crispy golden top finish right before ready!
- Serve immediately!
How to Reheat Scalloped Potatoes in a Slow Cooker
Slow cooker methods for reheating can be convenient when feeding several people because they can hold large quantities at one time.
It’s an idealized option if you have guests who love comfort food like creamy cheesy casserole, potatoes au gratin.
- Place the desired amount of leftover scalloped potatoes in your slow cooker;
- Add some milk or cream as per taste.
- Set your slow cooker on low-temperature setting
- Cover with lid and let it cook slowly from 2-4 hours depending upon how much volume you wanted to add moistness inside.(it varies as per desired consistency)
- Serve once ensured whether heated through by gentle stirring
Is It Safe To Reheat Scalloped Potatoes?
Yes, if adequately cooled down and stored properly! Always refrigerate any remaining cooked dishes securely within two hours of cooking to ensure they don’t grow bacteria.
Discard any leftovers that are older than three days or have an odor.
When reheating, always heat until the internal temperature reaches 165°F to prevent the risk of food poisoning and maintain taste quality.
Jenny has always been passionate about cooking, and she uses her platform to share her joy of food with others. Her recipes are easy to follow, and she loves giving tips and tricks to help others create their own unique culinary creations.