If you’re looking for a quick and easy way to prepare beetroot dishes, then microwave cooking is the way to go.
Not only does it save time, but it’s also a healthier alternative to boiling and roasting.
In this post, we’ll explore the benefits of microwaving beetroot, provide a step-by-step guide on how to do it, offer precautions and expert tips, and even answer some frequently asked questions.
Why You Should Consider Microwaving Beetroot
Microwave cooking is one of the easiest ways to prepare healthy meals. Here are some benefits that make microwaving beetroot stand out:
Quick meals with Beetroot
Preparing food using the microwave can be much quicker than using other cooking methods. This is especially true for beetroot in particular as they are hard vegetables that typically take a long time to cook via boiling or roasting.
Healthy Eating with Beetroot
Microwaving preserves more of the nutrients in your food because it cooks vegetables faster than other methods like boiling or roasting.
Preparing Tasty Recipes with Beetroot
If you want an easy vegetable dish that you can quickly prep in your microwave for one or more people then beets are perfect. From salads and roasted veggies to soups and smoothies; there’s an endless variety of tasty dishes using beets.
Step-by-Step Guide On How To Microwave Beetroot
Here’s how you can use your microwave oven to prepare delicious beetroot dishes:
Step 1: Prepare The Beets
Start by washing each beet thoroughly under running water in order to remove any dirt from their surface before peeling them using a vegetable peeler or knife.
Next cut off both ends with a sharp knife (careful as they’re hard!) before slicing into small wedges or cubes.
Place your sliced beets into a microwavable dish, ensuring they’re not overcrowded.
Step 2: Add water
Add a tablespoon of water to the dish. This will help the beets retain their moisture during microwaving which prevents them from drying out or becoming tough.
Step 3: Cover and Microwave
Use a lid or microwave-safe plastic wrap to seal the dish before placing it in your microwave. Set your microwave to high power and let them cook for 5-7 minutes.
Take them out once done, remove any covering used and leave them to cool before using them in your dish.
Precautions for Microwaving Beetroot
While microwaving beetroot is generally safe, there are some precautions that you need to take:
- Use a microwave-safe dish when cooking beetroot.
- Avoid crowding the beetroot in the container so that they can cook evenly.
- Be sure to poke a few small holes in each beet with a fork or knife blade prior to cooking which helps steam escape.
Factors Affecting Cooking Time
Factors like wattage, altitude and size of beet slices will all affect how long you need to cook beets in your microwave.
- Wattage: Depending on how powerful your specific microwave is, it may take longer or shorter time for beets to fully cook through compared to other models.
- Altitude: As altitude increases above sea level then microwaves become less effective at heating food evenly throughout due low air pressure. This can add an additional minute depending on the recipe/instructions and variations of altitude).
- Size of Beet Slices: The bigger the pieces of beets are higher heat needs extra time than smaller ones so this will also factor into cooking times.
Expert Tips for Perfectly Microwaving Beetroot
Maximize taste while keeping preparation simple with these expert tips:
Tip #1 – Try Marinating Beets In Advance
This involves soaking beets in a mixture of oil, vinegar, salt, sugar and spices before microwaving them. This method helps add flavor and tenderizes the beets while they cook.
Tip #2 – Use Lemon juice or Balsamic Vinegar
Add a splash of these to your dish as they work amazingly well with beetroot dishes.
Tip #3 – Seasoning is key
Adding seasoning is important for taste as microwaving can make food taste bland. Experiment with different spices or herbs like rosemary, thyme or even smoked paprika!
Advantages of Microwaving Beetroot
Microwave cooking for beetroot has several advantages:
- A faster cooking time compared to traditional methods
- Retains more vitamins and minerals compared to boiling or roasting
- Less mess than stovetop cooking
Disadvantages of Microwaving Beetroot
These are the only two cons factoring into microwaving beets:
- Uneven Cooking: Factors like differences in throw power may make it difficult to uniformly cook vegetable slice sizes.
- Does harden up bit more: While adding water when microwaving can help keep beetroots from drying out completely, it’s still not going to be quite as juicy as other roasting methods might provide.
Frequently Asked Questions about Microwaving Beetroot
Is it safe to microwave beetroot?
Yes! It’s completely safe if you follow the right procedure.
How long does it take to cook beetroot in the microwave?
Cook times vary due factors like wattage (800w=7 mins) but usually takes also long about roughly five minutes per cup for cubed or sliced pieces of beet.
Can I put raw beet slices directly into the microwave oven?
Yes! Although avoid overcrowding the slices in the container for even cooking
Microwaving beetroot is a great way to cook quick, healthy and easy vegetable dishes. Ensure safety guidelines when preparing this nutritious vegetable while taking note of some expert tips. With the help of our guide, get ready to prepare a beetroot dish that you’ll enjoy in no time!
Jenny has always been passionate about cooking, and she uses her platform to share her joy of food with others. Her recipes are easy to follow, and she loves giving tips and tricks to help others create their own unique culinary creations.