Ladies and Gentlemen, put your hands together and give a warm welcome to the world of tagine and its delicious companions.
If you’re a fan of this classic Moroccan dish, you know that the succulent meat and spices simmering in that charming cone-shaped pot are simply irresistible.
But have you ever stopped to consider what could make this already-heavenly experience even better?
Well, allow me to introduce you to the lesser-known heroes of the tagine world: the sides!
You see, a great tagine is like a great symphony.
Every instrument has its own unique role to play, and the sides are no exception.
From creamy dips to crispy potatoes, these sidekicks bring a new dimension to the dish and elevate it to a whole new level.
So, whether you’re a seasoned tagine pro or just starting to explore this culinary world, buckle up and get ready for a ride.
We’re going to take a tour of the 29 best sides to serve with your tagine, and you won’t want to miss a beat.
Let’s get cookin’!
What is Tagine?
A tagine, in its simplest form, is a type of earthenware pot that’s used to cook slow-simmered stews.
The unique cone-shaped lid is designed to trap steam and keep the food inside moist and flavorful.
But, let’s be real here, the tagine isn’t just any ordinary pot – it’s a work of art!
With its intricate patterns and earthy colors, this beauty is just as much a showpiece as it is a cooking vessel.
History and origin
Now, where did this tasty tradition come from?
Well, the origins of the tagine can be traced back to the Berber people of North Africa, who have been using this cooking method for generations.
The tagine has since spread its wings and flown far and wide, with variations found across the Mediterranean, Middle East, and beyond.
Types of Tagine
And, speaking of variations, there are many types of tagine to choose from!
Whether you prefer a traditional meat and vegetable tagine, a sweet and fruity tagine, or a tangy fish tagine, the options are endless.
With so many styles to choose from, the only question is: which one will you try first?
Get ready to tantalize your taste buds, because the tagine adventure is just getting started!
What to Serve with Tagine – 29 Best Side Dishes
Ladies and Gentlemen, we’ve reached the moment you’ve all been waiting for – it’s time to dive into the top 29 sides to serve with your tagine!
Whether you’re looking to add a little crunch, some fluffy texture, or a pop of flavor, these sides will not disappoint.
Rice Side Dishes to Serve with Tagine
- Lemon Rice: Get ready to pucker up, because this tangy lemon rice is about to be your new favorite side dish! This zesty and bright dish perfectly complements the bold flavors of your tagine, making it a must-have addition to your meal.
- Saffron Rice: If you’re looking to add a touch of luxury to your meal, look no further than this saffron-infused rice dish. The rich and fragrant flavor of saffron adds an exotic twist to your rice and is sure to elevate your tagine to the next level.
- Basmati Rice Pilaf with Dried Fruits and Almonds: This sweet and nutty basmati rice pilaf is a flavor explosion in every bite! Tossed with juicy dried fruits and crunchy almonds, this pilaf is the perfect balance of sweet and savory flavors that will complement your tagine flawlessly.
- Garlic Herb Rice Pilaf: This herb-packed garlic rice pilaf is a side dish that will make your taste buds dance! With fragrant garlic and a medley of fresh herbs, this pilaf is the perfect way to add a pop of flavor and a touch of freshness to your tagine spread.
Potato Side Dishes to Serve with Tagine
It’s time to talk about the king of comfort food: potatoes!
And trust me, these potato side dishes are sure to raise the bar and make your meal unforgettable.
- Roasted Potatoes with Harissa Butter: These crispy on the outside, fluffy on the inside potatoes are a perfect match for the rich, savory flavors of a tagine. Drenched in a spicy harissa butter, these potatoes are sure to bring a bold, zesty kick to your meal!
- Cinnamon Mashed Sweet Potatoes: Who says sweet potatoes can only be served at Thanksgiving? These creamy, mashed sweet potatoes with a hint of warm cinnamon spice are the perfect side dish to balance out the bold flavors of a tagine.
- Crispy Paprika Potatoes: If you’re in the mood for something crispy and comforting, look no further! These paprika-spiced potatoes are oven-baked to crispy perfection, making them the ideal side dish to accompany your tagine.
- Skewered Grilled Potatoes: These perfectly seasoned, grilled potatoes are a crowd-pleaser and a fun way to switch up your side dish game. Skewered and grilled to smoky perfection, these potatoes are sure to add a burst of flavor and a touch of excitement to your tagine spread!
Salads to Serve with Tagine
Folks, it’s time to add some greens to the mix!
These salads are not only healthy, but they also bring a burst of fresh flavor to your meal.
- Cucumber and Tomato Salad: This classic combo is a total crowd-pleaser and the perfect light side dish to complement your tagine. Slice up some juicy tomatoes and crunchy cucumbers, add a squeeze of lemon juice, and you’ve got yourself a salad that’s just as refreshing as it is delicious!
- Harissa Carrot Salad with Avocado: This spicy-meets-creamy salad is sure to tantalize your taste buds. Roasted harissa carrots paired with creamy avocado and a zingy lemon dressing… mmm, I can already taste it!
- Chickpea Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette and Feta: If you’re looking for a filling and flavorful salad, this one’s for you! Chickpeas provide a nutritious and satisfying base, while the lemon vinaigrette and crumbled feta add a tangy and salty twist.
- Beet Salad with Orange-Walnut Dressing: Beets are often overlooked, but they’re truly a standout ingredient in this sweet and nutty salad. Toss cooked beets with an orange-walnut dressing for a colorful and flavorful side that’ll have everyone asking for seconds!
Bread to Serve with Tagine
Let’s raise a piece of bread to the almighty carb! These bread options are the perfect accompaniment to any tagine meal.
- Freshly Baked Pita Bread: Freshly Baked Pita Bread, warm, soft and fluffy, the perfect vessel for scooping up every last drop of your Tagine.
- Grilled Flatbread With Olive Oil and Za’atar: Grilled Flatbread, drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with Za’atar, a Middle Eastern spice blend, a perfect complement to your Tagine.
- Herb & Olive Oil Focaccia: Herb & Olive Oil Focaccia, a soft and fluffy Italian bread, infused with the aroma of fresh herbs and olive oil, a true delight to dip into your Tagine.
- Soft and Chewy Naan Bread: Soft and Chewy Naan Bread, a traditional Indian bread, with its soft and chewy texture, perfect for soaking up every last drop of your Tagine.
Vegetable Side Dishes to Serve with Tagine
- Grilled Eggplant with Tahini Sauce: Grilled Eggplant, slathered with Tahini sauce, bursting with flavor and delightful to the taste buds!
- Carrots with Ginger and Honey: Carrots, with their sweet, gingery essence, are a perfect partner for your Tagine. Drizzled with honey, these carrots will tantalize your taste buds!
- Southwestern Roasted Cauliflower Recipe with Cumin & Paprika: Southwestern Roasted Cauliflower, with a bold blend of cumin and paprika, will give your Tagine a southwestern kick!
- Roman Braised Artichoke Hearts (Carciofi alla Romana): Roman Braised Artichoke Hearts (Carciofi alla Romana), a touch of Italy in every bite, perfectly braised to tender perfection! So, come on, dive in and taste the magic!
Dips and Spreads to Serve with Tagine
- Smoky Paprika Hummus: Packed with flavor, a perfect blend of smoky paprika and creamy hummus, dip into something truly delightful!
- Classic Baba Ghanoush: A timeless dip, with its smoky eggplant flavor, perfect for dipping or spreading on your Tagine.
- Muhammara Recipe (Roasted Red Pepper Dip): A roasted red pepper dip that’ll take your taste buds on a flavor journey. The sweet, tangy, and spicy blend will leave you coming back for more.
- Greek Spicy Feta Dip (Tirokafteri): Tirokafteri, a fiery feta dip, packed with flavor, from the land of Greece, perfect for those who like their dips with a spicy kick!
Desserts to Serve with Tagine
- Orange and Almond Cake: This light and fluffy orange and almond cake is the perfect sweet finish to your tagine meal. The combination of fresh oranges and nutty almonds creates a delicate and flavorful dessert that everyone will love.
- Spiced Date and Walnut Tart: Get ready to dive into a slice of pure bliss with this spiced date and walnut tart! The warm spices, sticky dates, and crunchy walnuts make for a heavenly combination that is sure to satisfy your sweet tooth.
- Cinnamon and Honey Baklava: Take your taste buds on a journey to the Middle East with this sweet and sticky cinnamon and honey baklava! The layers of flaky phyllo dough and sticky cinnamon honey syrup make this dessert a true masterpiece.
- Mint Tea Sorbet: If you’re in the mood for a refreshing and light dessert, look no further than this mint tea sorbet. This icy treat is the perfect way to cleanse your palate and refresh your senses after a delicious tagine meal.
- Chai Spiced Panna Cotta: Indulge in a creamy and decadent dessert with this chai-spiced panna cotta. The warming spices of chai tea add a cozy and comforting flavor to this silky smooth dessert, making it the perfect sweet ending to your tagine feast.
What to Serve with Tagine – 29 Best Sides
- Lemon Rice
- Saffron Rice
- Basmati Rice Pilaf with Dried Fruits and Almonds
- Garlic Herb Rice Pilaf
- Roasted Potatoes with Harissa Butter
- Cinnamon Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Crispy Paprika Potatoes
- Skewered Grilled Potatoes
- Cucumber and Tomato Salad
- Harissa Carrot Salad with Avocado
- Chickpea Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette and Feta
- Beet Salad with Orange-Walnut Dressing
- Freshly Baked Pita Bread
- Grilled Flatbread With Olive Oil and Za'atar
- Herb & Olive Oil Focaccia
- Soft and Chewy Naan Bread
- Grilled Eggplant with Tahini Sauce
- Carrots with Ginger and Honey
- SOUTHWESTERN ROASTED CAULIFLOWER RECIPE WITH CUMIN & PAPRIKA
- Roman Braised Artichoke Hearts (Carciofi alla Romana)
- Smoky Paprika Hummus
- Classic Baba Ghanoush
- Muhammara Recipe (Roasted Red Pepper Dip)
- Greek Spicy Feta Dip (Tirokafteri)
- Orange and Almond Cake
- Spiced Date and Walnut Tart
- Cinnamon and Honey Baklava
- Mint Tea Sorbet
- Chai Spiced Panna Cotta
- Select your favorite recipe.
- Organize all of the required ingredients.
- Prep a side dish in 25 minutes or less.
Jenny has always been passionate about cooking, and she uses her platform to share her joy of food with others. Her recipes are easy to follow, and she loves giving tips and tricks to help others create their own unique culinary creations.