Do you have leftover banh mi from your favorite eatery, or maybe you cooked your own batch of Vietnamese cuisine?
It’s quite common to have a few sandwiches leftover when you’re meal prepping for the week ahead.
The question is, how do you reheat them without losing the texture and flavor?
In this post, we’ll cover five reheating methods and provide cooking tips on each method.
What Is Banh Mi?
But first, let’s talk about banh mi. It’s a classic Vietnamese sandwich that includes fillings like pork belly, eggs, pickled vegetables, cilantro, mayonnaise and chili peppers all inside a French baguette.
Tasting it for the first time is an experience in itself – the perfect blend of sweet and sour combined with bold flavors from different ingredients.
But reheating the sandwich can be tricky; underdoing it makes the bread cold with undercooked fillings or reheating it for too long will dry out your ingredients.
5 Reheating Methods for Banh Mi
The following are some of the best ways to reheat your banh mi sandwich:
Method 1: Oven
- Preheat your oven to 350F.
- Take out a baking sheet and place your sandwich on top.
- Cover it with foil paper to avoid drying out.
- Place in oven between 7-9 minutes (depending on how toasted or crunchy you want your bread).
- Once heated thoroughly take out on plate.
- Be careful not to crisp up the bread too much
- If using filling like pate or mayonnaise add a little more after heating
Method 2: Microwave
- Take a microwave-safe dish/plate
- Cut sandwich portion into halves
- Cover in damp paper towel or cloth
- Heat on medium power for 10-15 seconds until sandwich it hot
- Check heat and add another 5-10 seconds if needed
- Be careful not to overcook as the bread can turn hard and chewy.
- You may need to elevate the sandwich by placing it on a cup or mug to avoid sogginess.
Method 3: Toaster Oven
- Start by preheating the toaster oven at 350F.
- Place opened banh mi onto toaster rack be sure to remove any prior condiments
- Keep checking back every minute and give a light tap
- Once heated (between 2 – 5 mins.) remove from toaster oven.
- Watch your sandwich closely, as it can easily burn if you leave it for too long
- Avoid using condiments like mayo or pickles if possible, as they might take away the texture of the sandwich
Method 4: Panini Press
- Preheat panini press machine following manufacturer guidelines .
- Open bon mi carefully and lay flated out in press maker
- Close lid while being cautious not to squish ingredients inside filling
- Cook betweeny for approximatley two minutes,
- Once heated thoroughly remove from machine
- Choose fillings that work well under pressure, like meats, cheese & certain vegetables.
- Try spreading an even layer of butter outside of the bread pieces before grilling .
Method 5: Air Fryer
- Preheat air fryer to @350 degrees F for about two minutes before cooking
- Run your Banh Mi through separated part of air fryer basket for good airflow potentially three at a time,
- Cook each side twice (6 minutes total).
- Once heated thoroughly transfer into a platter, be sure to handle air fryer basket carefully this might me hot
- Avoid overfilling the fryer basket as it may lead to uneven cooking and too greasy.
- The airflow in the air fryer allows for crispy bread without frying the ingredients inside.
Storing Banh Mi
When storing banh mi, it’s important first to wrap it in parchment paper or tin foil paper. Then keep inside a plastic bag or air-tight container & place in your refrigerator; this can ensure the sandwich remains fresh and doesn’t become soggy overnight.
All five of these reheating methods work well depending on what type of kitchen hacks you are hoping to utilize.
Overall, panini press works great for making sandwiches perfect again while maintaining crispy edges which toast ovens deliver crunchy and evenly heated sandwich loaves.
The methods work best when re-heating one or two individual sandwiches, but using an Air Fryer potentially three full-size baguettes could be heated simultaneously with its quick heating method
However, always keep note on proper-careful monitoring reheat time so as not t fall short on dependability of sandwich fillings and make sure to enjoy once your banh mi have been reheated successfuly.
Jenny has always been passionate about cooking, and she uses her platform to share her joy of food with others. Her recipes are easy to follow, and she loves giving tips and tricks to help others create their own unique culinary creations.