This Gapao Rice recipe is exactly what you need!
As an enthusiast of diverse and flavorful cuisine, I am thrilled to share with you one of my most treasured recipes today.
If you’re yearning for a meal bursting with exotic flavors and aromatic herbs, you are in the right place.
Let’s journey together to the culinary landscapes of Thailand and explore the magnificent Gapao Rice.
This dish, hailing from the streets of Thailand, is a tantalizing blend of minced chicken, fragrant basil, and spicy chili, served over fluffy, steaming rice.
The Best Gapao Rice You’ll Ever Try
When it comes to creating the perfect Gapao Rice, it’s about melding the aromatic, spicy, and savory flavors seamlessly.
My version of Gapao Rice assures a symphony of flavors that dance harmoniously on your palate, promising an experience that’s utterly unforgettable. Whether you’re a long-time lover of Thai cuisine or a newbie looking for something exciting and flavorful, this recipe is bound to become your new favorite.
To ensure the seamless execution of this recipe, here are some kitchen tools that I recommend:
- Wok or Large Skillet: Ideal for sautéing and ensures even cooking.
- Sharp Knife: For finely chopping vegetables and herbs.
- Cutting Board: To prep your ingredients.
- Mixing Bowls: To mix and marinate the chicken.
- Measuring Spoons and Cups: For accurate measurement of ingredients.
- Spatula or Wooden Spoon: For stirring and mixing.
To embark on this culinary adventure, gather the following ingredients:
- 200g Minced Chicken: The flavorful protagonist of this dish.
- 1/4 Bell Pepper: Adds a crunchy texture and a sweet note.
- 1/2 Onion: Provides a mild, sweet flavor.
- 10 Basil Leaves: Imparts a distinct aromatic fragrance.
- 1 Garlic Clove: Adds a punch of flavor.
- 1 tbsp Vegetable Oil: For sautéing.
- 1/2 tsp Grated Ginger: Adds a spicy, aromatic kick.
- 1/2 tsp Chinese Chili Bean Sauce: Brings in the heat!
- 1 tbsp Sesame Oil: Adds a rich, nutty flavor.
- Cooked Rice: The fluffy base for our flavorful topping.
- 2 Eggs: For a rich, creamy texture.
- Salt & Pepper: To taste.
- Seasoning Liquid:
How To Make Gapao Rice
- Prep Ingredients:
- Finely chop the onion, bell pepper, garlic, and basil leaves.
- Prepare the seasoning liquid by mixing sugar, fish sauce, oyster sauce, and chicken stock in a bowl.
- Cook Rice:
- If not already done, cook rice according to package instructions and keep it warm.
- Cook Chicken:
- Heat the vegetable oil in a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the minced chicken and cook until browned, breaking it into small pieces as it cooks.
- Sauté Vegetables:
- Add chopped onion, bell pepper, garlic, and grated ginger to the wok.
- Sauté until the vegetables are soft and translucent.
- Add Flavorings:
- Stir in the Chinese Chili Bean Sauce.
- Pour the prepared seasoning liquid over the mixture.
- Toss everything well to ensure the chicken and vegetables are coated in the flavorings.
- Finish the Dish:
- Add the fresh basil leaves and toss again.
- Once the basil is wilted and the dish is aromatic, remove it from the heat.
- Prepare Eggs:
- In a separate pan, heat the sesame oil over medium heat.
- Crack the eggs into the pan and fry to your liking, seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Assemble and Serve:
- Place a serving of cooked rice on each plate.
- Top the rice with the spicy chicken mixture.
- Place a fried egg over the top.
- Garnish with additional basil leaves if desired, and serve immediately.
Tips For The Best Gapao Rice
- Use Fresh Basil: Fresh basil leaves will impart more flavor and aroma to the dish compared to dried ones.
- Adjust Spice Level: Modify the amount of Chinese Chili Bean Sauce according to your spice preference.
- Don’t Overcook the Basil: Basil leaves should be added last and cooked just until wilted to retain their flavor and aroma.
- Use High-Quality Rice: Opt for high-quality, long-grain rice for the best texture and flavor.
What To Serve With Gapao Rice
Gapao Rice is delightfully flavorful and substantial on its own. However, if you’re looking to create a more elaborate meal, consider the following accompaniments:
- Thai Cucumber Salad: A refreshing salad with a mix of cucumber, red onions, and peanuts in a sweet and tangy dressing.
- Spring Rolls: Crispy, crunchy spring rolls filled with vegetables make a great side.
- Mango Sticky Rice: For dessert, serve this sweet and delicious Thai classic.
- Chilled Thai Iced Tea: A sweet, creamy beverage to balance out the spice in the dish.
Get ready to bask in the myriad of flavors and aromas of this scrumptious Gapao Rice. Happy cooking!
Best Gapao Rice
- Wok or Large Skillet Ideal for sautéing and ensures even cooking.
- Sharp Knife For finely chopping vegetables and herbs.
- Cutting Board To prep your ingredients.
- Mixing Bowls To mix and marinate the chicken.
- Measuring Spoons and Cups For accurate measurement of ingredients.
- Spatula or Wooden Spoon For stirring and mixing.
- 200 grams Minced Chicken
- 1/4 Bell Pepper finely chopped
- ½ onion finely chopped
- 10 Fresh Basil Leaves
- 1 Garlic Clove finely minced
- 1 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- ½ tsp Grated Ginger
- ½ tsp Chinese Chili Bean Sauce
- 1 tbsp Sesame Oil
- Cooked Rice
- 2 Eggs
- Salt & Pepper to taste
For Seasoning Liquid:
- ½ tsp Sugar
- 1 tbsp Fish Sauce
- 1 tsp Oyster Sauce
- ½ tsp Chinese Chicken Stock
- Prep: Finely chop the onion, bell pepper, garlic, and basil leaves and prepare the seasoning liquid by mixing sugar, fish sauce, oyster sauce, and chicken stock in a bowl.
- Cook Rice: If not already done, cook rice as per package instructions.
- Cook Chicken: In a wok or skillet, heat vegetable oil over medium-high heat and cook minced chicken until browned.
- Sauté Vegetables: Add onion, bell pepper, garlic, and ginger to the chicken and sauté until soft and translucent.
- Add Flavors: Stir in the Chinese Chili Bean Sauce and seasoning liquid, ensuring the mixture is well-coated.
- Add Basil: Toss in the basil leaves and cook just until wilted, then remove from heat.
- Prepare Eggs: In a separate pan, heat sesame oil and fry the eggs to your liking, seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Assemble: Serve the chicken mixture over cooked rice, topped with a fried egg. Garnish with additional basil leaves if desired.
- Basil: Use fresh basil leaves for more flavor and aroma.
- Spice Level: Adjust the amount of Chinese Chili Bean Sauce as per your spice preference.
- Rice Quality: High-quality, long-grain rice is recommended for the best texture and flavor.
- Serving Suggestion: This dish pairs well with Thai cucumber salad, spring rolls, mango sticky rice, and Thai iced tea.
Jenny has always been passionate about cooking, and she uses her platform to share her joy of food with others. Her recipes are easy to follow, and she loves giving tips and tricks to help others create their own unique culinary creations.