There’s nothing quite like biting into a juicy, flavorful burger topped with fresh, crisp onions.
These pungent bulbs not only add a burst of flavor, but also provide a satisfying crunch, making them an essential ingredient to any burger experience.
But with so many different types of onions available, which ones should you choose to elevate your burger game?
What are the best onions for burgers? The best onions for burgers are those that offer a perfect balance of flavor, texture, and aroma. Some popular choices include yellow onions, red onions, white onions, sweet onions, shallots, and even pickled varieties.
Each of these onions has its unique qualities that make them a great addition to your burger.
In this article, we’ll explore the 12 best kinds of onions for burgers and discuss how to prepare and use them to achieve the perfect bite.
Get ready to discover new favorites and elevate your burger experience to the next level!
How to Pick the Right Onion
When it comes to choosing the right onion for your recipe, there are several factors to consider.
The perfect onion can take a dish from ordinary to extraordinary, providing a depth of flavor and texture that’s hard to beat.
Here are five things to keep in mind when selecting the ideal onion for your culinary needs:
- Flavor profile: Onions come in a wide range of flavors, from sweet and mild to sharp and pungent. Consider the taste you want to achieve in your dish when choosing an onion. Sweet onions, like Vidalia or Walla Walla, are great for caramelizing and adding a natural sweetness to dishes. Yellow onions have a more robust flavor and work well in soups, stews, and sautés, while red onions are ideal for raw preparations, such as salads and sandwiches.
- Texture: Different onions have varying textures, which can impact the overall texture of your dish. For example, shallots have a delicate, tender texture that’s perfect for fine dining, while larger onions like white or yellow varieties can provide a satisfying crunch when used in salads or on burgers.
- Cooking method: Some onions are better suited for certain cooking techniques. Yellow onions are versatile and can be used in a variety of cooking methods, including sautéing, roasting, and frying. Red onions, on the other hand, are best enjoyed raw or lightly cooked, as their vibrant color and flavor can be lost when cooked for extended periods.
- Size and shape: Onions come in various sizes and shapes, which can affect both the presentation and the cooking process. Smaller onions, like pearl or cipollini, are great for pickling or roasting whole, while larger onions can be sliced or chopped for a variety of dishes. Choose an onion that will best suit your intended use.
- Storage and seasonality: Consider the shelf life and availability of different onions when making your selection. Some onions, like yellow varieties, have a longer storage life and are available year-round. Others, like sweet onions, have a shorter shelf life and may only be available during certain seasons. Be sure to choose an onion that will last long enough for your intended use and is readily available in your area.
By keeping these factors in mind, you’ll be well-equipped to choose the perfect onion for any recipe.
The 12 Best Onions for Burgers
Burgers are a classic American favorite.
To make the perfect burger, you need to choose the right onion.
Here we look at twelve onions that will give your burgers an incredible flavor and texture:
1. Yellow Onions
Yellow onions, also known as brown onions, are a popular choice for burgers due to their robust flavor and widespread availability.
Their slightly sweet and tangy taste, coupled with a hint of savory, provides a balanced touch to any burger.
When cooked, yellow onions develop a rich, caramelized flavor, which pairs perfectly with hearty beef or vegetable patties.
Whether you prefer your onions grilled, sautéed, or raw, yellow onions are a versatile and satisfying option for complementing the layers of flavors in your burger.
2. Red Onions
Red onions, known for their vibrant color and mildly sweet taste, are an excellent addition to burgers.
Their crisp texture and unique flavor blend well with a variety of ingredients, making them a popular choice for gourmet and classic burger recipes alike.
For a lighter, more refreshing taste, red onions can be thinly sliced and added to the burger raw.
Alternatively, grilling or sautéing red onions brings out a slightly sweeter, milder flavor that pairs well with spicier or more robust toppings.
3. White Onions
White onions, recognized for their sharp taste and slightly pungent aroma, are a great way to add a zesty bite to your burger.
Their crisp texture and clean, strong flavor make them ideal for contrasting with richer ingredients such as cheese, bacon, or avocado.
When diced and mixed with other ingredients, white onions can also be used to create flavorful burger toppings such as relish or salsa.
For those seeking an extra kick, white onions are a bold and flavorful choice for upgrading your burger experience.
4. Sweet Onions
Sweet onions, as the name suggests, possess a mild, sweet flavor that adds a delightful touch to any burger.
Varieties like Vidalia, Walla Walla, and Maui onions are known for their high sugar content and juicy texture.
Their mild taste makes them ideal for recipes that call for raw onions or caramelized onions.
Sweet onions can be grilled, sautéed, or eaten raw to provide a delicate, sweet contrast to the savory flavors of a burger, ensuring a gastronomically delightful experience.
Shallots, a smaller, more elegant cousin of the onion, can provide a sophisticated and subtle flavor to your burgers.
They have a delicate taste, with a mild sweetness and a hint of garlic.
Finely chopped shallots can be incorporated into burger patties, mixed with condiments like mayonnaise, or used as a topping to add a hint of aromatic complexity to the dish.
For a gourmet twist, try caramelizing shallots in a sweet and savory sauce to create a rich, delectable topping that elevates your burger to new heights.
6. Pickled Onions
A tangy, crunchy addition to countless dishes, pickled onions are an exquisite choice for burger toppings.
Soaking raw onions in a vinegar brine provides a delightful tang and vibrant color, cutting through the richness of the grilled beef patty.
The sharp, acidic taste of pickled onions creates a perfect flavor balance, offering a refreshing contrast to the savory burger components.
Not only do they add a lively punch to your meal, but pickled onions also retain a satisfying crunch, adding an element of texture that will captivate your taste buds and elevate your burger-eating experience.
7. Walla Walla Onions
A regional treat grown in the Walla Walla Valley of Washington State, Walla Walla onions boast a legendary reputation for their unparalleled sweetness and mild flavor.
These jumbo-sized, tender onions are perfect for grilling or caramelizing, bringing out their inherent natural sweetness.
When layered on top of a juicy burger, these soft, silky onions not only add a touch of sweetness, but they also complement the other ingredients, further enhancing the burger’s overall taste.
Walla Walla onions are not overpoweringly pungent and offer an exceptional, harmonious balance to your burger creation.
8. Vidalia Onions
Originating from Vidalia, Georgia, these onions are famous for their mild, sweet flavor profile.
Vidalia onions, often considered the gold standard of sweet onions, bring a delectable layer of complexity to your burger.
Slicing and grilling these onions unlocks their delicate sweetness and releases an mouthwatering aroma, adding depth to your burger’s taste.
With a noticeable lack of astringency, Vidalia onions deliver an irresistible combination of sweetness, juiciness, and savory flavors—an ideal partner to your choice of a flavorful beef patty.
9. Maui Onions
Cultivated in the fertile volcanic soil of Hawaii’s Maui island, these highly-prized onions are celebrated for their low sulfur content, resulting in a striking sweetness and mild flavor.
Their unique taste makes them a highly valued addition to the world of onions.
When used as a topping for burgers, Maui onions impart a gentle hint of sweetness that enlivens your taste buds, drawing out the savory tones of the burger components.
Slice them thinly and enjoy them fresh, or caramelize them to bring out their exquisite natural sweetness, making your burger a memorable fusion of tropical taste and comforting familiarity.
10. Cipollini Onions
Cipollini onions, a small, flat Italian onion variety, are a unique and flavorful addition to any burger.
With their sweet and mild flavor, they add a special touch to your meal without overpowering the taste of your burger.
These tender onions can be served raw, thinly sliced, or caramelized to bring out their innate sweetness, which balances well with the savory components of a burger.
Cipollini onions are easy to cook and caramelize evenly due to their size, making them a great choice for topping your burger.
As a delightful alternative to the traditional sliced onion, Cipollini onions are sure to impress your family and friends at your next cookout.
Scallions, also known as green onions, offer a mild and fresh flavor that can add a zesty accent to your burger experience.
The vibrant green color of scallions brings a pop of visual appeal to your plate while delivering a delightfully crisp texture.
Chopped scallions can be sprinkled on top of your burger, mixed into burger patties, or used in sauces, adding an extra layer of taste and texture to your meal.
Whether served raw or lightly sautéed, scallions provide an unexpected twist to the classic onion topping, ensuring your burger remains a memorable and mouthwatering treat.
Chives, a delicate member of the onion family, possess a subtle onion flavor that complements burgers without overwhelming the dish.
Along with their sophisticated taste, chives also offer an appealing and elegant visual element, thanks to their thin and needle-like appearance.
Finely chopped chives easily mix with spreads, mayo, or aioli, imbuing your burger with a hint of onion-like tanginess.
For an exciting variation on the traditional way of seasoning burgers, try combining chives with your favorite cheese, imparting an enticing blend of flavors in every bite.
Chives are a delightful and versatile choice for a sophisticated twist on the classic burger onions.
How to Cook Onions for Burgers
Cooking onions for burgers can add extra flavor and texture to your meal. There are several ways to prepare onions for burgers, including caramelizing, grilling, and sautéing.
Here’s how to cook onions for your burger:
- Caramelizing: Caramelized onions are sweet, tender, and have a deep, rich flavor that complements the savory taste of a burger. To caramelize onions, start by thinly slicing your chosen onion. Heat a pan over medium-low heat, add a tablespoon of butter or olive oil, and then add the sliced onions. Cook the onions slowly, stirring occasionally, for 20 to 30 minutes, or until they are a deep golden brown. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Grilling: Grilled onions add a smoky, charred flavor to your burger. To grill onions, slice them into thick rounds, about ½-inch thick. Brush the onion slices with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place the onion slices directly on the grill grates over medium heat, and cook for 3 to 4 minutes per side, or until they have grill marks and are tender.
- Sautéing: Sautéed onions are a quick and easy way to add flavor to your burger. Thinly slice your onions and heat a pan over medium heat. Add a tablespoon of oil or butter, followed by the sliced onions. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions are softened and slightly golden. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
How to Cut Onions for Burgers
The way you cut your onions can impact the texture and presentation of your burger. Here’s how to cut onions for burgers:
- Rings: Onion rings provide a satisfying crunch and are perfect for stacking on your burger. To cut onion rings, slice the onion into ¼-inch thick rounds, and separate the layers to create individual rings.
- Half-moons: Half-moon slices are ideal for caramelizing or sautéing, as they cook evenly and provide a nice texture. To cut half-moon slices, cut the onion in half from root to stem, and then slice into ¼-inch thick half-moons, following the natural curve of the onion.
- Thinly sliced: Thinly sliced onions work well for raw preparations, such as topping a burger with fresh red onion. To thinly slice an onion, use a sharp knife or mandoline slicer to create thin, even slices.
Tips for Cutting Onions Without Tearing Up
Cutting onions can cause tears due to the release of a gas called syn-propanethial-S-oxide. Here are some tips to help you cut onions without tearing up:
- Chill the onion: Place the onion in the refrigerator for 30 minutes before cutting to slow down the release of the gas that causes tearing.
- Use a sharp knife: A sharp knife will cause less damage to the onion cells, reducing the release of the gas.
- Cut near an open flame or vent: Cutting onions near an open flame, such as a gas stove, or a vent can help to dissipate the gas, reducing the likelihood of tearing up.
- Cut under running water: Cutting the onion under cold running water can help to wash away the gas before it reaches your eyes. However, this method can be a bit tricky and may make the cutting surface slippery, so use caution.
- Wear goggles: Wearing a pair of onion goggles or swimming goggles can help to protect your eyes from the gas, preventing tears while cutting onions.
By following these tips and techniques, you’ll be able to prepare and cook onions for your burgers with ease, and without the tears.
Enjoy the added flavor and texture that onions bring to your burger experience!
The 12 Best Onions for Burgers
- Yellow Onions
- Red Onions
- White Onions
- Sweet Onions
- Pickled Onions
- Walla Walla Onions
- Vidalia Onions
- Maui Onions
- Cipollini Onions
- Pick your favorite type of onion from the article.
- Organize your ingredients and utensils.
- Follow the detailed instructions in the recipe to make your burger.
- Prepare and serve for delicious meal!
Jenny has always been passionate about cooking, and she uses her platform to share her joy of food with others. Her recipes are easy to follow, and she loves giving tips and tricks to help others create their own unique culinary creations.