Lemon is a great flavor to add to desserts, but it can be tricky to pair with other flavors.
It’s not easy to find the right mix of ingredients that complement lemon while still keeping the dish balanced and delicious.
That’s why I’ve put together this guide for you!
This guide will help you pair lemon with different foods, ingredients, flavors, etc. so that you can create delicious desserts that are sure to impress!
What Goes Well with Lemon in Desserts?
Lemon is a versatile ingredient—it can be used to add a sweet, sour tang to desserts.
Lemon pairs well with numerous other ingredients, but some combinations are better than others.
Here’s a list of what goes well with lemon in desserts:
Chocolate and lemon make a classic pairing that’s hard to beat.
Try adding fresh lemon juice to dark chocolate ganache or drizzling melted white chocolate over lemon curd for an elegant dessert.
The combination of white chocolate and lemon is not for everyone, but those who love it will never look back!
White chocolate pairs well with both zest and juice from lemons, so experiment until you find the combination that works best for you.
If you don’t like the flavor of your chosen white chocolate with either lemon zest or juice, try substituting another fruit like orange instead!
Vanilla is one of my favorite things ever—it’s creamy, sweet, and just plain delicious on its own (and also in ice cream).
That said, vanilla also makes an excellent addition to sweets that already contain lemon or orange zest or juice because it has a similar flavor profile to these fruits (and doesn’t clash with them).
Just make sure not to overdo it—vanilla can be strong when paired with other strong flavors like citrus fruits!
Raspberries are another fruit that goes well with lemons (as long as you have enough sugar).
The tartness of raspberries pairs beautifully with the acidity of lemon juice or zest, and they provide an excellent counterpoint to any dessert where you want something sweet but not too sweet.
Raspberries also go nicely with white chocolate or even dark chocolate if you prefer darker flavors!
Strawberries are one of the best fruits out there.
Try pairing strawberries with lemon!
Here are two ways to pair strawberries with lemon in desserts:
You can’t go wrong with a classic lemonade recipe: just add a few sliced strawberries and some sugar (or honey) to your favorite glass of ice water, and you’ll have yourself a tasty drink that’s perfect for warm summer days.
2. Strawberry-Lemon Ice Cream
Ice cream is one of the easiest desserts to make—and it provides an excellent way to combine these two ingredients into something incredible.
Just throw some frozen berries into a food processor or blender with some milk or yogurt (or even soy milk), then freeze until solid.
You’ll have yourself an amazing snow cone when it melts!
3. Strawberry Lemonade Cake
- This cake is easy to make and sure to be a crowd pleaser at parties or family gatherings—just mix together some flour, baking powder, salt, butter, milk and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Then add some fresh lemon juice and zest before folding in an egg white mixture until combined.
- Pour the batter into a greased 8-inch round pan then top with sliced fresh strawberries (you could also try adding blueberries or raspberries).
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 35 minutes until golden brown on top but still tender inside (you can check this by inserting a toothpick into center).
- Remove from oven then cool completely before serving with some whipped cream!
Blueberries and lemon are a great dessert duo.
The blueberries add a sweet, tart kick to the citrusy lemon, which makes for a winning combination.
Here’s how you can use blueberries with lemon in your next dessert recipe:
- Add the blueberries to homemade ice cream before freezing it. They’ll add that extra bit of flavor and texture that you crave in an ice cream bar or cone.
- Make a quick blueberry sauce by combining equal parts water and sugar with some fresh blueberries in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook until the mixture thickens slightly, then remove from heat and stir in some lemon juice. Pour over vanilla ice cream for a delicious treat!
- Use the blueberries as part of an easy fruit crisp topping! Combine 1 cup flour plus 1/4 teaspoon salt; cut in 6 tablespoons chilled butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs; stir in 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon; stir in 3/4 cup packed brown sugar; sprinkle over filling ingredients before baking.
Orange and lemon are two versatile fruits when it comes to baking, and they make your desserts taste amazing.
Here’s how to use orange with lemon in a dessert recipe and why you should:
- They add flavor. The citrusy goodness of oranges and lemons really makes any dessert pop. Whether you’re making an orange-flavored cake or a lemon meringue pie, these fruits will give your dessert some serious zing!
- They add color. Oranges and lemons can be used to add both color and flavor to your desserts. You can make a beautiful orange glaze for your cake or add some bright yellow icing to your cupcakes for an impressive look at little effort!
- They’re easy to find! Oranges and lemons are readily available at almost every grocery store, so if you don’t have any on hand there’s a good chance that one is just around the corner waiting for you!
If you’re looking to add a little extra something to your dessert recipes, cinnamon and lemon are a great combination.
Here are a few ways you can use cinnamon and lemon in your dessert recipes:
- Add a little extra flavor to your lemonade by adding a touch of cinnamon.
- Try adding a pinch of cinnamon to your pumpkin pie for an added kick of spice!
- Make your favorite apple pie even better by adding some lemon juice and cinnamon to the mix!
Honey and lemon are a great combination that you can use in any dessert recipe.
You can use honey and lemon in your baking, on top of ice cream, or even just in a mug with some hot water for a quick afternoon pick-me-up.
The sweetness from the honey will help balance out the tartness from the lemon, creating an interesting flavor profile.
What Goes Well with Lemon in Desserts? (9 Ingredients)
- White Chocolate
- Pick any of the ingredients from this list to use in your lemon dessert.
- Prepare the rest of your dessert recipe.
- Be ready to munch in no time.