Hamburgers are a classic American dish that can be found at almost every diner, drive-thru, and backyard barbecue.
But have you ever considered pairing your hamburger with a glass of wine?
That’s right, hamburger wine pairing is a thing, and it can take your dining experience to the next level.
While beer may be the go-to beverage for burgers, a well-chosen wine can complement the flavors of the dish in unexpected ways.
So, what wine goes with hamburgers?
The best wines to pair with hamburgers are full-bodied reds such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, and Shiraz. These wines have bold tannins that can stand up to the beefy flavor of a juicy burger. If you’re looking for something lighter, try a Pinot Noir or Beaujolais.
In this article, we will explore the best wine options for hamburgers, including full-bodied reds, refreshing whites, and even rosés.
We will also provide tips for choosing the right wine to pair with your burger, so you can impress your guests and elevate your next burger night.
So, grab a glass, and let’s dive into the world of hamburger wine pairing.
The 5 Best Red Wines for Hamburgers
When it comes to pairing red wine with hamburgers, it’s all about finding a wine that can stand up to the bold flavors of the dish.
Look for full-bodied red wines with plenty of tannins, which can cut through the fat and protein of the burger, making each bite more flavorful and satisfying.
Here are five of the best red wines to pair with hamburgers:
- Cabernet Sauvignon: This classic red wine is a go-to for pairing with red meat. Its high tannin content and bold flavor profile make it a perfect match for a hearty burger. Look for Cabernets from California, Washington, or Australia for the best pairing.
- Merlot: Another classic red wine option, Merlot has a slightly softer tannin profile than Cabernet Sauvignon, making it a great choice for those who prefer a smoother wine. Look for Merlots from California or Bordeaux for the best pairing.
- Shiraz: Also known as Syrah, this red wine is a bold and spicy choice for pairing with hamburgers. Its high tannin content and peppery notes complement the flavors of the burger, making it a great choice for those who like a bit of heat. Look for Shiraz from Australia or the Rhône region of France for the best pairing.
- Malbec: This red wine from Argentina has gained popularity in recent years for its bold, fruity flavor profile and high tannin content. It pairs well with grilled meats, making it a great choice for a juicy burger. Look for Malbecs from Mendoza for the best pairing.
- Zinfandel: While not as well-known as some of the other red wines on this list, Zinfandel is a great choice for pairing with hamburgers. Its bold, fruity flavors and high alcohol content make it a perfect match for a hearty burger. Look for Zinfandels from California for the best pairing.
The 5 Best White Wines for Hamburgers
While red wine is the classic choice for pairing with hamburgers, white wine can also be a great option, especially for those who prefer a lighter, more refreshing drink.
When it comes to choosing a white wine for your burger, look for wines with good acidity and crisp flavors that can cut through the richness of the meat.
Here are five of the best white wines to pair with hamburgers:
- Chardonnay: This full-bodied white wine is a popular choice for pairing with grilled meats, including burgers. Look for Chardonnays from California or Burgundy for the best pairing.
- Sauvignon Blanc: This refreshing white wine has bright citrus and herbal notes that can balance the flavors of a burger. Look for Sauvignon Blancs from New Zealand or California for the best pairing.
- Pinot Grigio: Another refreshing white wine option, Pinot Grigio has crisp flavors and good acidity that can cut through the richness of a burger. Look for Pinot Grigios from Italy or Oregon for the best pairing.
- Riesling: This aromatic white wine has a slightly sweet flavor profile that can complement the savory flavors of a burger. Look for Rieslings from Germany or Washington for the best pairing.
- Gewürztraminer: This spicy white wine has floral and exotic fruit flavors that can add a unique twist to your burger pairing. Look for Gewürztraminers from Alsace or California for the best pairing.
The 5 Best Rosé Wines for Hamburgers
Rosé wine may not be the first thing that comes to mind when you think of hamburger wine pairing, but it can be a surprisingly good match.
Dry rosés, in particular, can complement the flavors of a burger while providing a refreshing and crisp alternative to red wine.
Here are five of the best rosé wines to pair with hamburgers:
- Dry Rosé: This refreshing wine has a crisp, dry flavor profile that can complement the richness of a burger. Look for rosés from Provence or the United States for the best pairing.
- Grenache Rosé: This fruity and floral wine has a delicate flavor profile that can bring out the flavors of a burger without overpowering them. Look for Grenache rosés from the Rhône region of France or California for the best pairing.
- Syrah Rosé: Similar to Shiraz/Syrah red wines, Syrah rosés have a bold and spicy flavor profile that can complement the flavors of a burger. Look for Syrah rosés from the Rhône region of France or Australia for the best pairing.
- Mourvèdre Rosé: This rosé has a rich, full-bodied flavor profile that can pair well with a juicy burger. Look for Mourvèdre rosés from Provence or California for the best pairing.
- Zinfandel Rosé: Like Zinfandel red wines, Zinfandel rosés have bold, fruity flavors that can pair well with a burger. Look for Zinfandel rosés from California for the best pairing.
5 Tips for Choosing the Right Wine for Hamburgers
Choosing the right wine to pair with your burger can seem like a daunting task, but it doesn’t have to be.
Here are five tips to help you find the perfect wine for your next hamburger dinner:
- Consider the flavor of the burger: Is your burger spicy or savory? Is it topped with cheese or bacon? Consider the flavors of the burger when choosing a wine pairing.
- Think about the cooking method: Is your burger grilled, fried, or baked? The cooking method can affect the flavor of the burger and should be taken into account when choosing a wine.
- Take into account the toppings and condiments: Are you topping your burger with ketchup, mustard, or mayonnaise? Are you adding pickles or onions? Consider the flavors of the toppings and condiments when choosing a wine pairing.
- Consider the preferences of your guests: Are your guests red wine drinkers or white wine drinkers? Do they prefer sweet or dry wines? Take their preferences into account when choosing a wine pairing.
- Don’t be afraid to experiment: The best way to find the perfect wine pairing for your burger is to experiment with different wines and see what works best for you. Don’t be afraid to try new wines and see how they pair with your burger.
In conclusion, pairing wine with hamburgers can add a new dimension to your dining experience.
Whether you prefer a bold red wine or a refreshing white or rosé, there are plenty of options to choose from.
So, what wine pairs well with hamburgers?
Full-bodied red wines such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, and Shiraz are excellent choices to pair with hamburgers. The tannins in these wines cut through the fat of the burger while also adding a layer of complexity to the dish. Try a light Pinot Noir for lighter burgers or an oaked Chardonnay if you’re looking for something white.
By following our tips for choosing the right wine, you can impress your guests and elevate your next burger night.
Jenny has always been passionate about cooking, and she uses her platform to share her joy of food with others. Her recipes are easy to follow, and she loves giving tips and tricks to help others create their own unique culinary creations.