If you’re like most people, you probably toss grapefruit and lemon peels into the trash without giving them a second thought.
However, there are many benefits of boiling these fruit peels that you may not have considered.
The immune system also benefits from a daily dose of boiled citrus peels.
If you haven’t been taking advantage of everything these magical little rinds have to offer, it’s time to start!
What Are the Benefits of Boiling Grapefruit and Lemon Peels?
The benefits of boiling grapefruit and lemon peels are many. The vitamin C in the peels reduces inflammation, which is especially helpful for people with inflammatory conditions like arthritis and gout. The fiber in the peels is great for digestive health, and can help reduce cholesterol levels. The immune system also benefits from a daily dose of boiled citrus peels.
The Peels Contain Vitamin C
They also have other beneficial properties, including as an antioxidant and immune system booster.
If you don’t want to make a tea with your peels, try adding them to salads or smoothies!
The Peels Have Significantly More Fiber than The Pulp
Did you know that the peels of grapefruit and lemons have more fiber than the pulp?
And did you know that fiber is good for your digestive system?
The reason that this is important is because it means that when you eat a whole fruit rather than just eating the pulp, you’re getting more nutrition.
If your goal is to eat healthy foods, then adding some peels into your diet makes sense.
Fiber helps regulate blood sugar by slowing down how quickly it gets absorbed into the bloodstream after a meal.
This can be especially helpful if someone has diabetes or insulin resistance since their blood sugar levels tend to rise faster than normal due to an inability to absorb glucose properly (this is also why we recommend using these on an empty stomach).
Fiber also helps with skin care because it cleanses toxins out of our bodies before they get deposited in our pores or elsewhere on our body surface area – reducing blemishes and acne breakouts!
They Contain Essential Oils
You may be wondering, “What are essential oils?”
Essential oils are volatile plant products that contain the essence of the plant they come from.
They are used in aromatherapy, massage therapy and other applications.
They’re also used in cooking and perfumes/cosmetics.
They Contain Phytochemicals
If you’ve ever heard of phytochemicals, it’s likely because they’re one of the many antioxidants that help to fight against aging and disease.
In fact, phytochemicals are plant chemicals that help protect plants from disease, insects and pests.
There are thousands upon thousands of different types of phytochemicals found in plant foods—and lemons and grapefruit contain three particularly potent forms: limonoids (found in the peel), flavanones (found in the flesh) and naringenin (also found in the flesh).
When you boil the peels, you’re effectively extracting the phytochemicals from the fruit.
Phytochemicals are plant-based chemicals that have antioxidant properties.
Antioxidants help prevent all sorts of diseases and slow down aging, among other things.
They also keep your skin healthy and boost your immune system, which helps to keep colds at bay during winter.
Additionally, antioxidants can help keep your heart healthy by preventing plaque build-up in arteries—which increases risk of heart attacks and strokes.
Help Support Oral Health
Boiling grapefruit and lemon peels is a great way to help support oral health.
Here are some of the ways they can do so:
- They can help with gum disease, gingivitis and toothaches. The citric acid in grapefruit and lemon peels has antibacterial properties that help prevent plaque build-up on your teeth. It also helps reduce inflammation in the mouth via anti-inflammatory agents called flavonoids; this reduces pain from ulcers, sore throats and other discomfort related to infections or inflammation in general.
- They can help prevent cavities by remineralizing tooth enamel as well as killing bacteria from consuming sugar (the main cause of decay). When eaten regularly, lemons have been shown to decrease tooth decay by up to 32%.
- They may promote good oral hygiene overall by helping keep bad breath at bay while freshening breath naturally through the production of volatile oils such as limonene which neutralizes sulfur compounds associated with foul odors when metabolized by bacteria living in our mouths (yum!).
They Are Antimicrobial and Antifungal
Grapefruit and lemon peels are antimicrobial, meaning they have the ability to fight against bacteria.
Their powerful antibacterial properties can help prevent infections, including:
- athlete’s foot
- yeast infections
They Boost Your Immune System
What if you could fight off colds and flu by eating a few grapefruit peels?
The thought of eating raw fruit peels may be weird, but it’s not unheard of.
In fact, there are many benefits to eating grapefruit peel that are backed up by science and research.
The citrus family (which includes lemons, limes, oranges and grapefruits) contains flavonoids which have been proven to boost the immune system when consumed regularly in small amounts.
As an added bonus they also help prevent inflammation which is the root cause of many diseases!
Grapefruit peels contain polyphenols that have been shown to kill off harmful bacteria in your gut while also helping boost your body’s natural defenses against viruses like influenza A or B (the common flu).
You can also use lemon or orange juice for this purpose as well but it won’t give the same benefits as using their peels since those don’t have any pulp content at all.
They Can Promote Heart Health
If you’re looking to improve your heart health, citrus peels may be just what you need.
That’s because they contain a compound called limonene, which has powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
Limonene works by acting as an antioxidant in the body, neutralizing free radicals that could otherwise damage cells throughout the system.
It also helps to reduce inflammation in tissues by inhibiting COX-1 and COX-2 enzymes that produce pro-inflammatory prostaglandins—which are responsible for chronic diseases such as cardiovascular disease (atherosclerosis), arthritis, asthma and Alzheimer’s disease.
They Help with Gallstones
Gallstones are common—affecting nearly 25 million Americans each year—but don’t let them hold you back!
Boil your grapefruit and lemon peels to help dissolve the stones inside you, making it easier to digest food without any painful symptoms after meals!
They Can Be Used To Freshen Up The Smell of A Room
Grapefruit and lemon peels are a great way to freshen up the smell of your room.
The natural oils in the peels are safe for you, but they can actually help kill bad smells.
This is especially true if you’ve been cooking something like garlic or onions.
It’s also nice if you want to get rid of smells without having to clean with chemicals!
In addition to using them inside your house, grapefruit and lemons are also useful for freshening up shoes—particularly those that get really stinky after wearing them all day long without socks on hot summer days (which I learned from personal experience).
You can also use them in cars; just place some citrus peels under seats or behind cushions where there’s some extra space so it won’t be crushed easily by passengers walking around during trips!
You Can Make A Natural Face Mask
To make a natural face mask, you’ll need grapefruit and lemon peels, honey, and brown sugar.
- First, boil the grapefruit and lemon peels in water for about 30 minutes to soften them.
- Then strain them out of the water through a colander or sieve into a bowl.
- Add honey and brown sugar to this mixture until it has a thick consistency (like peanut butter).
- Now apply this mixture all over your face in an even layer using your fingertips or a makeup brush—avoiding your eyes and lips!
- Leave on for 1 hour then rinse off with warm water followed by cold water.
- Once you’ve rinsed off your face mask, pat dry with a clean towel before storing in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks!
You Can Make Your Own Shampoo
You can even make your own shampoo.
- Simply boil the peels in water, add lemon or lime juice, and steep like a tea bag.
- Then strain out the peels and store in a sealed container.
- Add essential oils (rosemary, peppermint) or honey for extra conditioning power.
You can also stir in baking soda if you want an alternative to commercially made shampoos that often have detergents and fragrances added to them—no need for those chemicals when you’re using something as natural as grapefruit!
You Can Make Deodorizers
If you’re looking for a natural alternative to chemical-based deodorizers, you can easily make one using grapefruit and lemon peels.
Simply place these ingredients in a bowl and cover them with water.
Then let them sit overnight.
In the morning, strain out the liquid and use it as an all-natural air freshener.
The citrus oils will help neutralize any unwanted smells in your home and leave behind a pleasant aroma of their own!
It’s clear that boiling the peels of grapefruits and lemons is a great way to reduce food waste and transform what would otherwise be trash into something truly useful for our bodies.
What’s more, it can save you money on over-the-counter medicines that come with their own side effects, making you feel more confident about your health and saving you time because now you don’t need to go out looking for these remedies.
14 Benefits of Boiling Grapefruit and Lemon Peels
- The Peels Contain Vitamin C
- The Peels Have Significantly More Fiber than The Pulp
- They Contain Essential Oils
- They Contain Phytochemicals
- Antioxidant Protection
- Help Support Oral Health
- They Are Antimicrobial and Antifungal
- They Boost Your Immune System
- They Can Promote Heart Health
- They Help with Gallstones
- They Can Be Used To Freshen Up The Smell of A Room
- You Can Make A Natural Face Mask
- You Can Make Your Own Shampoo
- You Can Make Deodorizers
- Get some inspiration for what to do with your peels from this article.
- Do what you wish with your grapefruit or lemon peels.
- Enjoy the benefits from the peels!