Cooking chicken sausage in a pan is a quick and convenient way to enjoy a delicious meal.
The cooking time can vary depending on the thickness of the sausage, the cooking temperature, and the method of cooking.
In this post, we’ll discuss the optimal cook time and temperature for chicken sausage to ensure that it’s cooked through but not overcooked.
How Long to Cook Chicken Sausage in A Pan?
The cook time for chicken sausage can vary depending on different factors. However, it typically takes between 8-12 minutes to cook chicken sausages thoroughly. The thickness of the sausages will determine how long they will take to cook fully.
If you’re cooking smaller skinless poultry sausages or breakfast links, then they may take less time than thicker bratwursts or Italian-style links.
The Importance of Using a Thermometer
Using a meat thermometer is crucial when cooking chicken sausage in a pan because it ensures that you reach an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C), which is necessary to kill any potentially harmful bacteria present in raw poultry. By using a thermometer, you can be sure that your sausages are fully cooked without overcooking them.
Before starting to cook chicken sausage in pan frying or skillet cooking methods, there are several things you need to consider:
- Choose fresh raw chicken sausage from reputable suppliers.
- Make sure your hands and all kitchen utensils are clean before preparing poultry sausage.
- Use separate cutting boards for raw meat products and vegetables.
- Do not preheat your skillet unless otherwise directed by your recipe instructions.
Cooking Chicken Sausage in a Skillet
To cook perfect chicken sausages on a stove top using skillet cooking method:
- Add one tablespoon oil or butter into your non-stick frying pan or cast iron skillet.
- Place two or three chicken sausage links into the skillet and turn your stove heat to medium.
- Cook them for about 5-6 minutes without turning over until browned.
- Flip the sausages over using tongs or spatula.
- Cook another 5-6 minutes or until they have reached an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C) as measured by a meat thermometer.
How Long to Cook Chicken Sausage in the Oven
Baking chicken sausages in the oven is also an easy and convenient way to prepare them for meal prep or entertaining guests at home. To cook chicken sausage in the oven:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (176°C).
- Place chicken sausage links in a baking dish lined with parchment paper or foil paper.
- Put them in preheated oven and bake for about 20–25 minutes, turning once halfway through the cooking time.
- Check their internal temperature with a meat thermometer; they should reach at least 165°F (74°C).
Indicators of Properly Cooked Sausages
There are several indicators that can tell you if your chicken sausages are cooked thoroughly:
- The outside of the sausage should be browned evenly on all sides, indicating that it has been cooked through properly
- The meat should not feel squishy when pressed with fingers nor too hard, which could indicate it’s undercooked or overcooked respectively
- Cutting into one of the sausages would reveal no pink in its center but instead, slightly translucent white flesh
Safety Precautions for Eating Chicken Sausages
It’s crucial to follow safety precautions when consuming any type of poultry product, including chicken sausage:
- Always wash your hands properly before preparing food and handling raw poultry products
- Use separate cutting boards and knives for raw meat products and fresh vegetables
- Do not leave chicken sausages at room temperature for more than two hours
- Store cooked chicken sausages in the refrigerator or freezer until ready to use
Tips for Making the Perfect Chicken Sausage Dish
Making a delicious chicken sausage dish is easy and fun, here are some additional tips:
- Experiment with different spices, herbs, and vegetables to add more flavor
- Serve chicken sausages alongside a fresh salad or roasted vegetables for a balanced meal
- Use leftover cooked chicken sausage links in breakfast burritos or sandwiches for your meal prep.
- Try making your own homemade poultry sausage using ground chicken breast meat, natural casings, and fresh herbs.
Cooking chicken sausage in a pan is an easy and quick way to prepare a delicious meal. It’s important to consider pre-cooking steps like hand-washing, use of thermometers while cooking, and other safety precautions when using poultry products. With these tips on cooking time, temperature, and methods of cooking such as skillet frying or oven baking along with added advice for perfecting your poultry sausage dishes at home – you can create tasty meals that everyone will enjoy!
Jenny has always been passionate about cooking, and she uses her platform to share her joy of food with others. Her recipes are easy to follow, and she loves giving tips and tricks to help others create their own unique culinary creations.