When it comes to dessert, people often think of cakes, pies, and ice creams.
But, have you ever tried fried milk?
Fried milk, also known as leche frita in Spanish, is a popular dessert dish in Spain.
This unique dish is made from milk, sugar, and cinnamon, and then deep-fried in oil.
It is often served hot with a sprinkle of cinnamon on top.
But what does fried milk taste like?
Fried milk has a creamy, custard-like texture with a crispy, sugary exterior. It has a subtle sweet flavor with hints of cinnamon and nutmeg. The texture and taste combination make it a delicious and satisfying dessert.
What is Fried Milk?
As mentioned earlier, fried milk or leche frita is a popular dessert dish that comes from Spain.
It is a simple yet unique dish that has been enjoyed for many years in various regions of the country.
The dish is made from a custard-like mixture of milk, sugar, cinnamon and cornstarch.
The mixture is then chilled until it sets into a block or a rectangle shape.
After this, it is coated with breadcrumbs and deep-fried until it has a golden crust.
Once it is done, the dish is cut into small squares or rectangles and served hot with a sprinkle of cinnamon on top.
It is a perfect dish for those who crave a sweet and creamy dessert with a little crispy twist.
What Does Fried Milk Taste Like?
The taste of fried milk can be described as a cross between a doughnut and flan with a slight hint of cinnamon.
The texture is creamy and custard-like, with a crispy exterior.
When you bite into the fried milk, you get a delicate crunch from the breadcrumbs, followed by the soft and creamy texture of the milk filling.
The custard has a subtle sweet flavor with hints of cinnamon and nutmeg.
The cinnamon adds a warm and sweet aroma to the dish and also complements the creamy taste of milk.
The nutmeg adds a slight earthy flavor to the custard and makes the taste more complex.
While the custard itself is sweet, it is not overly sweet, making it a perfect dessert for those who prefer a less sugary taste.
Overall, the texture and taste combination make it a delicious and satisfying dessert.
How is Fried Milk Made?
Fried milk is relatively easy to make, and you can do it at home without any special equipment.
Here is a step-by-step guide on how to make fried milk:
- 4 cups whole milk
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup cornstarch
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Zest from half a lemon
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- Vegetable oil (for frying)
- Cinnamon powder (for garnish)
- In a large saucepan, heat the milk, sugar, cinnamon stick, and lemon zest over medium heat. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally, until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat and let it cool down.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch, egg yolk, and one egg until well combined. Slowly pour the mixture into the milk while whisking continuously. Return to heat and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until the mixture thickens into a custard. This should take around 15 minutes.
- Once the custard has thickened, remove the cinnamon stick, and pour the mixture into a greased rectangular dish. Flatten it down as much as you can, then let it cool completely and refrigerate for a few hours, until firm.
- Remove the chilled custard and cut it into small squares or rectangles.
- Beat the remaining egg in a small bowl, and put the breadcrumbs on a separate plate.
- Dip each custard square first into the beaten egg, then coat it in breadcrumbs.
- In a deep frying pan or saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, fry the coated custard squares on both sides until they turn golden brown, about 1-2 minutes.
- Serve hot, sprinkle cinnamon powder on top for garnish.
Variations on Fried Milk
While traditional fried milk is delicious, there are several variations you can try to change the flavor profile.
For example, instead of cinnamon and nutmeg, you can add vanilla or almond extract to the custard mixture.
You can also mix in some chocolate chips or add grated lemon zest to the custard filling for a tangy twist.
Instead of the classic breadcrumb coating, you can use crushed nuts for an added crunch and flavor.
Fried milk is a unique dessert dish that should be on everyone’s culinary bucket list.
It is an easy-to-make, sweet treat that offers a satisfying combination of creamy and crispy textures with subtle flavors of cinnamon and nutmeg.
And while traditional fried milk is delicious on its own, it’s easy to customize it to your liking with various flavors and coatings.
We hope this article has helped you understand what fried milk tastes like and inspired you to try it for yourself.
Jenny has always been passionate about cooking, and she uses her platform to share her joy of food with others. Her recipes are easy to follow, and she loves giving tips and tricks to help others create their own unique culinary creations.